GSO 3x ED Barlow

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted
Articles: 0

GSO 3x ED Barlow

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I own a 2x GSO Barlow. It is lightweight, simple, and I like its ergonomics. It performs well with my modified ST80 and a Celestron zoom. I have a 5x GSO Barlow (as Revelation Astro) as well. Although it can suffer from some chromatic aberration. It doesn’t see much use nowadays as it was replaced by a 5x TV Powermate.

I desired a basic 3x lightweight Barlow. Among various criteria it would require good ergonomics. Basically I’d need to like the overall feel of it, it wouldn’t be so long as to poke the mirror out of the diagonal, and it would need to hold the zoom safely and securely. It would also be required to perform well in an inexpensive short tube achromat. Lastly, it had to be relatively economically priced. So, probably an impossible aspiration then?

The GSO 3x ED (2-element) Barlow at £38.40 (Sterling) seemed to fulfil all of these requirements. Around 125mm tall with a barrel of about 53mm including the element. I measured 22mm of clear aperture. I make the Barlow about 140 grams in weight, although admittedly my scales are not particularly accurate. The housing is nicely sturdy and constructed from aluminium. The ED element and barrel both thread out of each other. The aluminium barrel is smooth with no undercut. It is competently blackened and baffled internally. The multi-coated element contains a filter thread in its own housing. There is no compression ring although the rather large standard GSO thumb screw is reassuringly knurled. Daylight trials seemed impressive and delivered a sharp, bright and clear image.

On a damp April evening I ventured out with an ST80 on a night of poor seeing. After viewing some open clusters at low magnifications I decided to split some doubles. I placed the 3x GSO in the 2” dielectric adapter and then put a Celestron zoom into that. This now gave me a range of exactly 50x to 150x. The initial target was α Bootis (Arcturus), easy to find as it ‘follows the Bear’. This allowed me to gain focus at around 70x so I could proceed by star-hopping to the next port of call, ε Bootis aka Izar. The orange primary star at a magnitude of 2.5 is easily seen with the naked eye. The secondary has a magnitude of 4.8. and is basically nestling just inside the first diffraction ring. I have split this double with smaller apertures and it isn’t usually particularly difficult in my experience.

However, I seemed to be having some difficulty this time. I could see a lot of what appeared to be chromatic aberration. I wondered if the poor seeing was a factor. I expect a certain amount of false colour with a short tube achromat. Although it has to be said that the ST80 doesn’t usually suffer terribly from this. At most there is only a hint of the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’, more often referred to as ‘purple or cyan hazing’ around the target object. This was definite and obvious colour either side of the target object, so much so that it was a hindrance to observation. At times I could actually see a rainbow-like spectrum of colour! I decided to try δ Boo as it is in the vicinity. The CA was a bit less obvious, but still distinctly visible. I decided on splitting a few brighter doubles in comparison. These included α Gem, γ Leo and ꞵ 1 Cygni. The false colour was especially noticeable on brighter stars. Finally I tried ε Lyr (Double Double). I needed at least 150x to see all four stars in the conditions. I could still see the aberration. It wasn’t so noticeable on fainter doubles such as 24 Comae Berenices.

I deliberately compared the GSO 3x and 2x Barlows at roughly the same magnifications on a few targets. The fairly intrusive chromatic aberration was definitely being produced by the 3x Barlow. Maybe I should have expected a DIY spectrometer for a 3x Barlow under forty quid. Although my twenty quid SvBony 3x Barlow doesn’t act in this manner. I must say I am quite disappointed in the 3x GSO. It could be that my sample is a bit of a turkey, but I have since discovered a similar complaint about the same Barlow on the Internet. In all honesty I can’t recommend this Barlow lens. Even the element interface thread is an odd size and doesn't seem to fit anything else I have. I thought a relatively well made light, basic, 3x Barlow with an ED element would be just what I needed. Unfortunately the GSO 3x doesn’t make the grade.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: GSO 3x ED Barlow

Post by yobbo89 »

cheers for the review, every now and then a find a cheapy that works well, but i'm going to stick with televue :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well I suppose end of the the day its what we pay , cheap perhaps 50% are ok , pay more and 70% , pay a premium and 99% are good , so if one is lucky then the cheap one is ok
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:05 pm cheers for the review, every now and then a find a cheapy that works well, but i'm going to stick with televue :)

You're welcome. You can't really go wrong with TV. Most GSO stuff is pretty decent though. A lot of the cheaper Barlows are quite usable. I didn't expect this GSO to be quite that bad. I honestly don't think it's a matter of quality control either. Caveat emptor.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Richard wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:13 pm Well I suppose end of the the day its what we pay , cheap perhaps 50% are ok , pay more and 70% , pay a premium and 99% are good , so if one is lucky then the cheap one is ok

A lot of the more expensive Barlows just have better build quality. The overall build of this GSO is actually quite decent. The flaw is with the lens cell. I really think GSO have dropped the ball with this one.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Richard wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:13 pm Well I suppose end of the the day its what we pay , cheap perhaps 50% are ok , pay more and 70% , pay a premium and 99% are good , so if one is lucky then the cheap one is ok
I think it's true to an extent that you get what you pay for, but this GSO isn't that bargain basement at a bit under 40 quid. It makes me wonder if they are aware of the problem or not.