Discuss the latest astronomy news!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

From Brit Astro: RY Sgr fading?

Post by pakarinen »

Quote:

John Toone (BAA VSS, Shropshire) has reported RY Sgr fainter than normal, at visual magnitude 8.0 on Aug 29 (compared to 6.2 on Jul 8) and has suggested that it might be at the start of a fading episode. Several other observers have also reported the star as being fainter of late. Further observations are urgently requested to determine whether this is the beginning of a deep fade or just a deep pulsation minimum.

RY Sgr is a yellow supergiant of the R Coronae Borealis class. As is typical for the class, its light curve is characterised by a sudden drop in brightness from 6th mag to mag 12 to 14 over a few weeks before gradually brightening over the following several months. The interval between these fading episodes is irregular. The fading is due to the presence of dust clouds of carbon obscuring the star.

RY Sgr is also a pulsating variable, with a semiregular period of 38 days, mag ca 6.5 – 7.5. Observations over the next few days will confirm if the current fainter state is due to one of these pulsations being faint, or the start of a genuine fade. Contributions by observers will help to resolve this question.

The southerly declination of RY Sgr is a challenge for UK-based observers (RA 19h 16m 33s, DEC −33° 31′ 20″), but not impossible for those in the southern part of the country with a good southerly horizon. Observations could be made with binoculars or a small telescope. Observers from countries further south are naturally encouraged to observe the star too.

Finer charts are available at the AAVSO VSP: https://app.aavso.org/vsp/chart/?star=R ... east=right

Jeremy Shears
Director, VSS

End quote
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s