CG-3 Equatorial Mount

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

CG-3 Equatorial Mount

Post by Doodlebug »

What sort of realistic exposure times can I expect to manually guide with the CG-3 mount assuming my polar alignment is good?
I know it's an inexpensive mount, but it is all I could afford at this time.

Thanks,
--Shawn
-Shawn

Equipment:
Scope: Astro Tech AT72EDII, William Optics 50mm Guidescope
Mount: ZWO AM5, AZ GTI
Guide Computer: ASIAIR Mini
Finder: Astro-Tech Illuminated Multiple Reticle Finder
Diagonal: William Optics 2" 99% Dielectric Dura Bright Carbon Fiber Mirror Diagonal
Barlow: Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens
Eyepiece: SVBONY SV135 Eyepiece 7 to 21mm 1.25 Inch Zoom
Camera ZWO 294mc Pro, ZWO 120mm Mini, Panasonic G9
:Astronomer1:
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: CG-3 Equatorial Mount

Post by Richard »

Well manually drive for AP must be really hard , perhaps the moon and some planets at most , but a motor drive for these mounts are quite cheap so if you really want to do AP then get one I assume you will be using the 71mm Refractor , but if you put a big camera on ?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

With a decent polar alignment, maybe 10 seconds before you start to see drift. With a perfect polar alignment, 30 seconds before you start to see rotation in the field.

If you can find one in stock, motor drives aren't that expensive for that mount. Would help to know what your going to have riding on the mount though...

https://telescopes.net/93515-motor-driv ... ounts.html
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador

Post by Doodlebug »

chris_g wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 pm With a decent polar alignment, maybe 10 seconds before you start to see drift. With a perfect polar alignment, 30 seconds before you start to see rotation in the field.

If you can find one in stock, motor drives aren't that expensive for that mount. Would help to know what your going to have riding on the mount though...

https://telescopes.net/93515-motor-driv ... ounts.html
I'm already looking at the motors, next on my purchase list.
10 seconds is about what I was hoping for, thanks so much!
I will be using my AT72EDII and a Panasonic G9 or GF3
Might also just use it for viewing.
--Shawn
-Shawn

Equipment:
Diagonal: William Optics 2" 99% Dielectric Dura Bright Carbon Fiber Mirror Diagonal
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Doodlebug wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 am What sort of realistic exposure times can I expect to manually guide with the CG-3 mount assuming my polar alignment is good?

Thanks,
--Shawn
You don't mention which camera you have. You also need to know the focal length of your 'scope and this includes any Barlow lenses you have.

For objects near the celestial equator, the exposure time is about 500/focal length without guiding for a DSLR. Some advocate a more pessimistic figure but that seems to work for me, in practice.

If you are near the celestial pole, you can divide that figure by the cosine of the declination, which suggests infinite exposure time !! at the pole. However, if your field of view is (say) 10 degrees, you need to find the cosine of 85 degrees (90-10/2).

I do not hand guide and do not have a motor drive but I like to think I can get a few decent photos but I don't get the REALLY difficult stuff, like the Horsehead.

As an example, here's a recent shot of the Pleaides, without a telescope but just a zoom lens with a DSLR.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Doodlebug wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 am What sort of realistic exposure times can I expect to manually guide with the CG-3 mount assuming my polar alignment is good?

Thanks,
--Shawn
Check the rule of 500. For your 430 mm focal length that's about 1 second without RA motion. If you turn the RA control manually you may get trails from the motion of your hands. With astrophotography, a loose hanging cable can already cause problems. See what you can get but have modest expectations.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador

Post by Doodlebug »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:49 am

Thanks,
--Shawn
Check the rule of 500. For your 430 mm focal length that's about 1 second without RA motion. If you turn the RA control manually you may get trails from the motion of your hands. With astrophotography, a loose hanging cable can already cause problems. See what you can get but have modest expectations.
So the longer the focal length, the higher the magnification and the shorter the exposure without trails.
My expectations aren't very high at the moment. I get excited when a satellite zips by.
I spent a few hours just locating and verifying targets tonight. (Stellarium is my friend)
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond,
--Shawn
-Shawn

Equipment:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I started in astronomy in 1978. When I had my first try at astrophotography, hand driving the worm via a flexible cable was the only way. It is possible, although very hard work. We used the cross hair eyepiece out of the finder scope in the main scope with the camera and lens piggybacked. We defocussed the star until 4 little defocussed quadrants poked out from behind the crosshairs. Then we kept the four quadrants, the same size with slow continuous movements of the cable drive. Using 1970's film, our single exposures were 1 hr long. I'm sure you can do a few 2 min exposures with your DSLR. You can buy a motor drive for that mount but the periodic error is quite large on that mount. Use shorter focal length lenses eg 50mm.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I second the 1 second exposure time that you can get with your telescope but remember that it increases as you move from the celestial equator. An object at 50 degrees north would deliver an exposure time of 2 seconds. The cosine of 60 is 0.5, so 1/0.5=2.

Also there is stacking where you use Deep Sky Stacker (FREE!!!) or similar to combine multiple exposures into a single image.
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador

Post by Doodlebug »

While using the CG-3 the other day on terrestrial objects, I noticed the RA was not working properly.
Upon further inspection I noticed that the gear was stripped in multiple places.
I threw the mount in my closet until I have time to take a good look at it.
I then went searching for a new mount to fit my miniscule budget.
I raided the couch cushions and shook the dryer to raise enough to purchase a new mount.
I have decided to go with an AZ-GTI for the time being.
I placed the order this morning and will be looking forward to its arrival.
Thanks for all of the help with the CG-3.
I am sure I will have questions about the AZ-GTI.
-Shawn

Equipment: