APP settings for PI?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

APP settings for PI?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Hello everyone,
I've recently purchased Pixinsight and it's quite unintuitive, so I'd like to stick with APP for stacking for the meantime.
Right now, I'm using the recommended settings specified by StarTools which is:

0) / RAW/FITS: Bilinear or Adaptive Airy Disk (only relevant for instruments with a Bayer matrix such as OSCs or DSLRs)
1) / LOAD: default settings
2) / CALIBRATE: default settings except: disable "adaptive pedestal / reduce Amp glow", disable "remove light pollution"
3) / ANALYSE STARS: default settings
4) / REGISTER: default settings
5) / NORMALIZE: default settings except: disable "neutralize background"
6) / INTEGRATE: default settings. Refrain from using Local Normalization Correction unless and Multi Band Blending unless absolutely needed (if you need to stack images from multiple nights for example).
9) / TOOLS: Do not use anything in this tab (it will interfere with the dataset's linearity and/or StarTools' ability to Track noise grain propagation).

Is there anything else I should be doing with APP?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Petrol Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: APP settings for PI?

Post by Petrol »

I don't have APP so I can't answer your question. What I would say though is I have also recently purchased Pixinsight and struggled with it. One of the problems with YouTube tutorials is they are often outdated because of software updates. If your looking for straight to the point tutorials that are easy to follow and up to date, have a look at VisibleDark's channel. His Dynamic Background Extraction technique works for me. I was spending ages creating sample points but his method is awesome.
I have also purchasted the RC Plugins which have transformed my images, big time. I'm an absolute begginer at both Pixinsight and processing but this is my workflow

Dynamic Background Extraction
Spectrometric Colour Calibration (Image needs to be plate solved)
Stretch using a combination of ArcSinH & Histogram Transformation
Noise reduction used to take ages using MLT TGV and masks, now I just use Noise Exterminator and ACDNR for colour, I also Blur Exterminator to enhance detail and reduce stars and correct shapes

I really should take the stars out early on in my processing, but haven't figured how to process them yet.
I hope that helps you out a little using Pixinsight. I found it mind bending at first but having a basic workflow made things a lot easier for me.

Pete