Calibration frame question

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Calibration frame question

Post by Larry 1969 »

My camera (Altair 26C) produces very little noise. So little that I don't bother taking dark frames. My question is regarding dark flats (or flat darks). If the purpose of dark flats is to remove the noise from the flat frame and I'm not getting any noise in my light frames, should I even bother with them? I can turn off the calibration warnings in APP and just stack lights and flats right?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Calibration frame question

Post by bobharmony »

You can try just stacking lights and flats and see if it makes a difference, Larry. Nothing compares to your experience when it comes to making this kind of decision. Each camera has different characteristics so the mix of calibration frames may be different depending on those characteristics.

For me when it comes to calibration frames, I will use anything that might improve my images. As it doesn't take much to create a master dark flat, I use one for each of my images. Since my flats are 5 seconds each time, reusing a master dark flat is very simple for me. Mabula has documented why he likes to see all the frame types used in APP calibration and in that list he also includes Bias frames. The short of it is that in addition to "noise" there is also unwanted signal in each of our frames that will be handled by a specific type of calibration frame. Here is a link to the article:
https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/com ... must-read/

APP also has the capability of creating a bad pixel map from the calibration frames which is unique among the stacking programs I have used. I am in the beginning stage of learning APP so can't speak to how effective it might be, but it sounds very good in theory.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I'm with you, ditched my cal file stuff a couple years ago and haven't looked back. However, I sometimes still use a BPM, but not often, Photoshop clone stamp just as good.

Remember cal files contain NO data, just noise to cancel noise, to some this makes sense, to me not.
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out. I do believe I need flats as I have significant vignetting, but I'm not so sure about darks.
Thanks for the link Bob. I'll give that a read this weekend.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

If you don't need darks, then you shouldn't need dark-flats. But if you don't use dark-flats, you must include bias frames.

You can process lights without removing the read noise and you probably won't notice. But applying flats without removing read noise messes up the math. You can easily have your flats over-correct if you don't use bias frames. It is a common problem.

Note that read noise is not the same as thermal noise. Modern cameras, including yours it seems, produce so little thermal noise that you don't need darks to correct it. But all cameras produce read noise, and the bias frames are there to correct it.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 am If you don't need darks, then you shouldn't need dark-flats. But if you don't use dark-flats, you must include bias frames.

You can process lights without removing the read noise and you probably won't notice. But applying flats without removing read noise messes up the math. You can easily have your flats over-correct if you don't use bias frames. It is a common problem.

Note that read noise is not the same as thermal noise. Modern cameras, including yours it seems, produce so little thermal noise that you don't need darks to correct it. But all cameras produce read noise, and the bias frames are there to correct it.
Thanks Kathy! That makes sense

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Kathy,
I have a friend who doesn't use any calibration frames at all and now he's wondering if he should use bias frames to correct read noise out of his light frames... Any thoughts? :Think:

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Larry 1969 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:48 am My camera (Altair 26C) produces very little noise. So little that I don't bother taking dark frames. My question is regarding dark flats (or flat darks). If the purpose of dark flats is to remove the noise from the flat frame and I'm not getting any noise in my light frames, should I even bother with them? I can turn off the calibration warnings in APP and just stack lights and flats right?

Thanks!

Larry
I used to skip bias frames with my DSLR, then when I switched to ASI2600s I had horrible stacks. Asking at the DSS IO group what could cause it they pointed out that bias frames are used to measure the offset. That explained it, after adding bias frames back in the problem was solved. So, if you don't use bias frames and it still works, that's pure luck. I would include bias frames, they take little time to get.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Henk is right. You might get away with it, but it is better to use them. Definitely essential if you use flats.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

The only time that I don’t use calibration frames is when I am shooting a two-nighter, and can’t wait to peek at the data.

It’s just too easy to shoot a set of darks once or twice a year and flats/bias each session once you develop a routine.

I’m like Bob@bobharmony in that I will do what I need to do to get the best results. I really doesn’t require much.

I have to say though, the “snapshot” image sometimes rivals the two nighter!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just a little clarification:
1) None of the calibrations frames remove noise. In fact, they actually add a slight amount of noise. That is why it is important to average many calibration frames to reduce the noise in the "Masters" so that the noise they add is negligible.

2) All frames (Light, Dark, Bias, Flat and Dark Flat) contain offsets by design to ensure linearity and to prevent clipping any signal.

3) Flat frames require the offset to be removed to work properly. For CCD's subtracting a Master Bias frame is usually used for this purpose. For CMOS subtracting a Master Dark Flat is usually used for this purpose. Flat frames help remove any effects from vignetting or dust motes.

4) Master Dark frames are used to remove bad pixels and any Amp Glow for CCD's and CMOS.

With CCD cameras the Master Bias is often subtracted from the Light frames as well as from the Dark frames before the Master Dark is created. Then the Master Dark is subtracted from each Light frame.
With CMOS the Master Dark often still contains the offset, and, the Master Dark is subtracted from each Light frame (that still contains an offset).
Both approaches work and properly remove the unwanted offsets.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:44 pm Just a little clarification:
1) None of the calibrations frames remove noise. In fact, they actually add a slight amount of noise. That is why it is important to average many calibration frames to reduce the noise in the "Masters" so that the noise they add is negligible.

2) All frames (Light, Dark, Bias, Flat and Dark Flat) contain offsets by design to ensure linearity and to prevent clipping any signal.

3) Flat frames require the offset to be removed to work properly. For CCD's subtracting a Master Bias frame is usually used for this purpose. For CMOS subtracting a Master Dark Flat is usually used for this purpose. Flat frames help remove any effects from vignetting or dust motes.

4) Master Dark frames are used to remove bad pixels and any Amp Glow for CCD's and CMOS.

With CCD cameras the Master Bias is often subtracted from the Light frames as well as from the Dark frames before the Master Dark is created. Then the Master Dark is subtracted from each Light frame.
With CMOS the Master Dark often still contains the offset, and, the Master Dark is subtracted from each Light frame (that still contains an offset).
Both approaches work and properly remove the unwanted offsets.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Very nice explanation Steve!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/