What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:33 am Sorry for the long silence.
I'm still waiting for the treatments to start. I just haven't got much energy left lately.
Yes, we have all missed you, take care, we will be here for you, get well soon Juha!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:33 am Sorry for the long silence.
I'm still waiting for the treatments to start. I just haven't got much energy left lately.
Hang in there my friend hope all goes well for you .🙏🏻
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Back from a couple of nights in a B4 area in northern Indiana. Cloudy the first night, but it cleared up some last night and I was able to get a little casual observing in with my 10x50s although the moon was up.
My gastronomical research indicates it would be very difficult to find anything tastier than homemade Amish pies. 🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Going back and forth with the insurance company about who is paying for my next set of bifocals.
:geek:
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I am currently waiting for my next client to arrive to have her nails done, but already the temperature is ramping up (24℃ / 75.2℉).

I have all the windows and doors open to give a bit of a through draft, and fans are on full power.

We don't have air-con in the house, which would be a blessing, but it is very expensive to have it retro-fitted into UK homes.

Unfortunately, I still have to wear respectable clothing whilst with my clients, so it can get a little sticky.

I wouldn't get away with what I would normally wear, or not wear whilst in total privacy :roll:

I won't tell you what that is though ;)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:35 am I am currently waiting for my next client to arrive to have her nails done, but already the temperature is ramping up (24℃ / 75.2℉).

I have all the windows and doors open to give a bit of a through draft, and fans are on full power.

We don't have air-con in the house, which would be a blessing, but it is very expensive to have it retro-fitted into UK homes.

Unfortunately, I still have to wear respectable clothing whilst with my clients, so it can get a little sticky.

I wouldn't get away with what I would normally wear, or not wear whilst in total privacy :roll:

Yeah, we don't want too much information... ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

DeanD wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:58 am
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:35 am I am currently waiting for my next client to arrive to have her nails done, but already the temperature is ramping up (24℃ / 75.2℉).

Yeah, we don't want too much information... ;)
There are certain sacrifices that have to be made to keep cool at the moment Dean :whistle:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

OMG 75F! ... LOL that was a low temp last night ;)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

At some point I will post some more photos of the trip to Washington DC - lots of really great things down there. Live has been busy - mostly working - since return.

I am not working next Wed - Fri as my wife is undergoing a knee procedure, so I may have some down time then to sort through the photos and post a few. Not too many though ;)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:38 pm At some point I will post some more photos of the trip to Washington DC - lots of really great things down there. Live has been busy - mostly working - since return.

I am not working next Wed - Fri as my wife is undergoing a knee procedure, so I may have some down time then to sort through the photos and post a few. Not too many though ;)
That must be the worst part of going on holiday, having to come back and go straight back to work.

I am in the fortunate position of being self-employed so I can pick and choose the hours I work. I have never experienced being an employee anywhere and being tied to fixed working hours.

The reason for your time off next week isn't ideal, but I hope your wife's knee procedure goes well.

It will be nice to see some of your holiday photos when you get chance to sort through them.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

UlteriorModem wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:13 pm OMG 75F! ... LOL that was a low temp last night ;)
It was like heaven. (Only with frogs and crickets instead of harp music.)
Still super nice to have the windows open last night.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

I am mostly procrastinating at the moment... TBH, it's too darn hot during the day to concentrate properly (well, that's my excuse anyway...) So, been trying to get the serious stuff done in the morning before it warms up considerably in my office. Kids are on their hols and trying to keep 3 of them reasonably entertained at the same time as working is virtually an impossible feat. :p ... Actually, I've given up...

I've managed to get quite a lot of astro sessions in the past week which has been really nice and great to get back into viewing the planets once again!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Sold some astro books that I never open anymore. Proceeds go to the "I want one of everything" astro equipment fund.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:39 pm Sold some astro books that I never open anymore. Proceeds go to the "I want one of everything" astro equipment fund.
Only one???
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Status update.
Yesteday my back invented a brand new ache so, that i couldn't call staying at home "coping" anymore, so I went to the hospital. This time I took my laptop with me too.
I'm alone in my room, and in the room there's bathroom, motorized bed, TV, water faucet, microvawe oven and fridge. The WiFi seems to work fine too. The food is quite good, and it's served quite often: breakfast, coffee, lunch, coffee, dinner, and evening snack.
The only downside is the pain thet maes it a bit hard to enjoy all that. Even sitting on the bed while eating hurts, because the sore muscles are needed to keep the body upright, and the five meter distance from te bed to batroom is pure agony.

Al because of the lquid in the lung.

Today the pain got extra hard, so I got some more serious painkillers. Since they didn't seem to owork to well, I also took an "Harley-Parkinson", and walked back and forth in the corridor. That seemed to help (caused some movement in my bowls). The typical pain was there, but the special agony was gone. Later (now that I'm writing this), somehow even the "normal" pain disappeared, and I seem to be a bit high from the strong pain killers.Nice break from the pains.
Maybe they take some fluid out of my lung tomorrow.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Sorry to hear you're having such pain, Juha. :( I hope they manage to get the fluid out and at least give you some relief for the time being. It's good to hear at least that you've got a nice place at the hospital and taken care of while you're there (sounds like a million miles away from our NHS service in the UK!). Take care mate!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Juha,
I am so sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. I’m glad the pain management is working. It was a good thing that you went to hospital. I have experienced extreme pain from a serious injury 25 years ago and more after getting a surgical reconstruction. I also pain managed my mum through serious illness. In all cases the advice is the same. You need to stay ahead of managing the pain. It’s hard to play catch-up after the pain has become unbearable.

My best wishes to you

Joe.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

I hope your treatment goes well Juha and they are able to sort out your medical issue.

Take care.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

@turboscrew thanks for the update. I hope the pain is just a part of the the process toward a happy outcome.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

So sorry to hear that Juha, good thing you checked into the hospital. I hope it will speed up the treatment schedule.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images