Polar Alignment Failure ion NINA

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Polar Alignment Failure ion NINA

Post by hatflyer »

I have ASTAP installed in the right directory for NINA, yet when I try to plate solve in NINA, it says "No star database found at C|Program Files|astap; Download the h18 and install." But I did that already. Astap.exe is in that directory, along with a bunch of numbered files. What the heck happened? A prior set-up with this laptop worked. Now not.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Polar Alignment Failure ion NINA

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello hatflyer, I moved your posting to the AP software so hopefully more AP guys will see it.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi hatflyer,

If you go into NINA, Options, Plate Solving, you should see basically these settings in red (forgive the crude annotations).

A3065D19-4749-4987-B739-5C4D831BFD68.jpeg
I know that you said the astap.exe and the “H files are in C:\Program Files. Double check that folder and make sure they are not in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

Good luck!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am Hi hatflyer,

If you go into NINA, Options, Plate Solving, you should see basically these settings in red (forgive the crude annotations).

A3065D19-4749-4987-B739-5C4D831BFD68.jpeg

I know that you said the astap.exe and the “H files are in C:\Program Files. Double check that folder and make sure they are not in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

Good luck!
Yep, all setting and the executable are all proper. If there were too few stars, could that cause such an error?
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Not sure if too few stars would cause that particular error.

I just tried to solve an old image file (fits) manually in N.I.N.A. Framing. I got the same error as you did where ASTAP could not find the files it needed in C:\Program Files\astap. I was on my desktop (not my imaging pc) which has N.I.N.A. installed, but not astap.
I downloaded the H18 database and the astap application and now old image files solve manually in N.I.N.A.

Does that work for you?

To load an image manually and plate solve:

Open Framing
Choose Image Source: File
Click Load Image
Select a Raw of Fits file from existing data
A popup box will say"Image has to be solved for framing. Should new reference coordinates be taken", choose Yes.
Assuming that ASTAP is installed correctly, the solved image will appear with the center RA and DEC coordinates.

Capture.PNG

Notes:
Make sure that the camera Camera Parameters are correct in Framing.
When you click the Load Image button, the Load Image box will appear asking for you to select an image. I advise an unprocessed light frame.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Ok, so I did the exact same procedure, and today it works (well, I'm indoors but it makes it to the plate solve). How it can work today with the exact same procedure and set-up as last night is beyond me. Thanks.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Doesn’t make sense. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it before you get outside again.
Jim

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 pm Not sure if too few stars would cause that particular error.

I just tried to solve an old image file (fits) manually in N.I.N.A. Framing. I got the same error as you did where ASTAP could not find the files it needed in C:\Program Files\astap. I was on my desktop (not my imaging pc) which has N.I.N.A. installed, but not astap.
I downloaded the H18 database and the astap application and now old image files solve manually in N.I.N.A.

Does that work for you?

Open Framing
Click Load Image
A popup box will say"Image has to be solved for framing. Should new reference coordinates be taken", choose Yes.
Assuming that ASTAP is installed correctly, the solved image will appear with the center RA and DEC coordinates.

Capture.PNG

Notes:
When you click the Load Image button, the Load Image box will appear asking for you to select an image. I advise an unprocessed light frame.
Not sure what u mean, a Raw of Fits file to upload. Also, as for reference coordinates, what are those? Coordinates of my location? Coordinates of the mount orientation?

So to plate solve NINA needs to know where my mount is and its current orientation, or is astap able to solve just by the image?

Thanks.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

hatflyer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:18 pm
Juno16 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 pm Not sure if too few stars would cause that particular error.

Does that work for you?

Open Framing
Click Load Image

Capture.PNG

Notes:
Not sure what u mean, a Raw of Fits file to upload. Also, as for reference coordinates, what are those? Coordinates of my location?

So to plate solve NINA needs to know where my mount is, or is astap able to solve just by the image?

Getting an error when I upload a photo of mine. Large FOV, use W08 databse. Then not enough stars. errors all over. ;)

When an image is gotten from NASA Sky Survey the framing seems to work.

Thanks.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

hatflyer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm

Not sure what u mean, a Raw of Fits file to upload. Also, as for reference coordinates, what are those? Coordinates of my location?

>>>Sorry, spelling error. Should read "a Raw or Fits file".

So to plate solve NINA needs to know where my mount is, or is astap able to solve just by the image?

>>>I really don't think that N.I.N.A. needs anything. ASTAP is doing the work

Getting an error when I upload a photo of mine. Large FOV, use W08 databse. Then not enough stars. errors all over. ;)

>>>Not sure about the errors. What is your FOV?
Have you tried plate solving a fresh image? Maybe something that was exposed for several seconds vs. several minutes. It will work for a wide exposure range, but I think it is picky about grossly miss-shaped stars.

If you are interested, you can download and try to solve an image that solves in my copy of N.I.N.A. It is a single light frame of the Leo Triplet (M66).

>>>I could be wrong, but I don't think that ASTAP is involved when using the NASA Sky Survey.

Thanks.
Jim

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:28 pm
hatflyer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm

>>>Sorry, spelling error. Should read "a Raw or Fits file".

>>>I really don't think that N.I.N.A. needs anything. ASTAP is doing the work

>>>Not sure about the errors. What is your FOV?
Have you tried plate solving a fresh image? Maybe something that was exposed for several seconds vs. several minutes. It will work for a wide exposure range, but I think it is picky about grossly miss-shaped stars.

If you are interested, you can download and try to solve an image that solves in my copy of N.I.N.A. It is a single light frame of the Leo Triplet (M66).

>>>I could be wrong, but I don't think that ASTAP is involved when using the NASA Sky Survey.

Thanks.
The image does show in Framing. I guess that means it is plate solved, even with my camera parameters?

Do u have a RAW 1?

FOV...is that angle of view, diagonal? If so, for my 35mm it is 63 degrees.

Btw, When I take an image manually of scenery (not stars, it is daylight now), it shows the subject in full. When 3 point aligning, the image window is almost all black. Does NINA only show what it thinks are stars in the image in 3 point alignment, and thus it is all black, as there are no stars?

Thanks.

Can u try to solve this image?

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

hatflyer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:23 pm

The image does show in Framing. I guess that means it is plate solved, even with my camera parameters?

If you loaded it from a File Image Source, apparently so.

Do u have a RAW 1?

No, I only have FITS files produced by my ASI533 MC-P camera.

FOV...is that angle of view, diagonal? If so, for my 35mm it is 63 degrees.

Btw, When I take an image manually of scenery (not stars, it is daylight now), it shows the subject in full. When 3 point aligning, the image window is almost all black. Does NINA only show what it thinks are stars in the image in 3 point alignment, and thus it is all black, as there are no stars?

When running the NINA 3-point polar alignment pluggin, you should definitely see stars in the images produced by the 3-point polar alignment. If not, try increasing settings like time, iso, or gain.

Thanks.

Can u try to solve this image?

Not very easily, but working on it!
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I cropped out the non-sky structures and submitted the cropped version to Astrometry.net. The image solved.

You might have to do some more research into the px x px resolution of your camera sensor and enter into NINA.

Looks like you are shooting with a dslr and lens. Do you plan to mount the camera on an EQ mount and capture images with NINA? I know that I got it to work in APT, and I am sure that it will work in NINA if that is your goal.

Please let us know what your goals are and what equipment you have.

Your star shapes look like "y's", so that might have issues with ASTAP also.
Capture.PNG
You might also try All Sky Plate Solver. It takes more time and isn't as sensitive to star shapes.

Also, what is your focal length and sensor size???
Jim

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 pm I cropped out the non-sky structures and submitted the cropped version to Astrometry.net. The image solved.

You might have to do some more research into the px x px resolution of your camera sensor and enter into NINA.

Looks like you are shooting with a dslr and lens. Do you plan to mount the camera on an EQ mount and capture images with NINA? I know that I got it to work in APT, and I am sure that it will work in NINA if that is your goal.

Your star shapes look like "y's", so that might have issues with ASTAP also. Capture.PNG

You might also try All Sky Plate Solver. It takes more time and isn't as sensitive to star shapes.

Yeah, that lens is iffy on capturing round stars. It was slightly out of focus i think. Anyway, I uploaded another to astronomy .net, and it solved. I shoot in RAW, but that site seems to not allow that file type.

I have a Nikon D5500, a crop sensor ((23.5 x 15.6 mm)) and the lenses I want to use are 20mm, 35mm, 85mm, and hopefully longer with my 70-300mm. I live in about Bortle 7. I am able to capture >1000 stars in my limited view (southern sky only, in norther hemisphere), so I'm hoping longer exposures will yield more objects.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

hatflyer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:37 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 pm I cropped out the non-sky structures and submitted the cropped version to Astrometry.net. The image solved.

Your star shapes look like "y's", so that might have issues with ASTAP also. Capture.PNG

Yeah, that lens is iffy on capturing round stars. It was slightly out of focus i think. Anyway, I uploaded another to astronomy .net, and it solved. I shoot in RAW, but that site seems to not allow that file type. I want to upload ones I just took, but the micro SD has fallen and disappeared. ;)

I have a Nikon D5500, a crop sensor ((23.5 x 15.6 mm)) and the lenses I want to use are 20mm, 35mm, 85mm, and hopefully longer with my 70-300mm. I live in about Bortle 7. I am able to capture >1000 stars in my limited view (southern sky only, in norther hemisphere), so I'm hoping longer exposures will yield more objects.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Well, the good part is that your solver (ASTAP) is working. Now, you will need to get the settings for the camera and focal length set up so that ASTAP will solve your images. Just a matter of getting the settings right.
I am not sure, but I would think that having trees and other non-sky objects in the images would not be good for solving. Not sure about that though. I've never tried to solve that type of image.

What is your goal? Are you trying to image horizon shots that include the night sky? If so, why do you want to plate solve? Maybe you are you only interested in solving starfields?
What are you using for a mount?
Jim

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:38 am Well, the good part is that your solver (ASTAP) is working. Now, you will need to get the settings for the camera and focal length set up so that ASTAP will solve your images. Just a matter of getting the settings right.
I am not sure, but I would think that having trees and other non-sky objects in the images would not be good for solving. Not sure about that though. I've never tried to solve that type of image.

What is your goal? Are you trying to image horizon shots that include the night sky? If so, why do you want to plate solve? Maybe you are you only interested in solving starfields?
What are you using for a mount?
The goal is to capture as deep sky images as I can. My mount is the Star Tracker AZ-GTi. What do u mean my solver is working? All I've gotten are errors. ;) Just that it runs at all?

I am analyzing an image from pre-mount/tracking days. It asks if reference coordinates should be taken (see below). Where will it look and what are reference coordinates? ASTAP needs coordinates of the mount, meaning my latitude and longitude?

Anyway, choosing yes and no, both ways it got to the point of the bar in the upper left showing solving progress (see image 2). Never got that far before. In the end tho no image is shown. It's blank. No errors, but no image.
astap 3.png
astap 4.png
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Yeah, I just meant that the solver is installed and is running.

Not sure where the reference coordinates are coming from. I originally thought that they were coming from the fits header or image file, but not so sure of that. Without reference coordinates, I would think that the solver will be in "blind" mode.

If you need location coordinates of the mount for ASTAP or N.I.N.A., yes, they are latitude and longitude. I just use my iphone compass app.

Running out of ideas, but you are closer. I use N.I.N.A with a dedicated AP camera and solving has worked really well. Even when the camera is visibly out of focus or under/over-exposed.

I used to image with a D5300 (Ha modded). I tried N.I.N.A. with the Nikon (about 3 years ago) and I could not get it to work for me. I used AstroPhotography Tool (APT) with the Nikon and it worked very well. I'm sure that N.I.N.A. has improved greatly since then.

I tried to plate solve several of my "old" Nikon NEF raw files in N.I.N.A. (ASTAP) and it fails. Could simply be the camera parameters were not correct, but probably not.

Do you have a single NEF file of the sky without structures such as trees or houses? The original NEF file usually contains the camera/lens info. I could try my copy of N.I.N.A. one more time.

Might want to strongly consider getting on the N.I.N.A. Discord server for support. Enourmous support power there. If you are not used to Discord, but prepared for some live support and questions. It might just be the best course.
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@hatflyer

I just got my copy of N.I.N.A. ASTAP to plate solve my old dslr images (NEF files). I set the Camera Parameters in Framing to:
Capture.JPG
4000x6000 (px) should be your sensor size (and the D5300).
The D5300 sensor pixel size is 3.89 um. The D5500 should be the same?
I know that I was using a 714mm fl scope (I don't remember if I had a focal reducer then, so I used the 714 mm value).

I also changed the telescope focal length and focal ratio in N.I.N.A., Options, Equipment, Astometry.

I think that if you use the parameters above and entered the lens fl in Camera Parameters and the fl/fr in Astometry, you might have some success or are closer!

Let me know!
Jim

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:52 pm @hatflyer

I just got my copy of N.I.N.A. ASTAP to plate solve my old dslr images (NEF files). I set the Camera Parameters in Framing to:

Capture.JPG

4000x6000 (px) should be your sensor size (and the D5300).
The D5300 sensor pixel size is 3.89 um. The D5500 should be the same?
I know that I was using a 714mm fl scope (I don't remember if I had a focal reducer then, so I used the 714 mm value).

I also changed the telescope focal length and focal ratio in N.I.N.A., Options, Equipment, Astometry.

I think that if you use the parameters above and entered the lens fl in Camera Parameters and the fl/fr in Astometry, you might have some success or are closer!

Let me know!
On my PC, I think there was some progress. First it said star database limit reached. Then wide FOV, use database V17. Did that, and I think it solved (see image - does that seem solved?).

BUT, that's on my PC. On my laptop, which is what I will be using with my mount, I can't get past the error from that damn pop-up window, ;) "No star Database Found."

Maddening, as all settings on my laptop and PC are the same, I have V17 and V18 and astap.exe in the Program Files directory. This error has popped up often in the past, tho not always. Now it is always, even when I reboot my laptop. How is this possible?

Btw, I am trying to get help on Discord too. And 1 other place also. Obviously not solved yet. Well, maybe on my PC. Do I have to lug that thing with me when shooting? ;)

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
astap 6 jpg.jpg