Galaxies and asteroids, but no Perseids

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Galaxies and asteroids, but no Perseids

Post by Bigzmey »

8/6/22

Equipment: Celestron 9.25” Edge HD SCT on SW SkyTee 2 manual AltAz mount.

EPs:
Pentax XW 10mm 70 deg (235x, 1.0mm exit pupil, 0.30 deg TFV)
Pentax XW 14mm 70 deg (168x, 1.4mm exit pupil, 0.42 deg TFV)
Pentax XW 20mm, 70 deg (118x, 2.0 mm exit pupil, 0.6 deg TFV)
TV Panoptic 27mm, 68 deg (87x, 2.7 mm exit pupil, 0.8 deg TFV)

For a few weeks we are having monsoon weather with high clouds and showers in the desert. Last weekend was no go, but this weekend I have managed an early morning session. Upon arrival to the Anza site, I have discovered chaparral in bloom! This is one of my favorite times of the year. For miles the trees are covered in small white flowers. The desert is buzzing with bees.
chaporal bloom 2022-A.jpg
chaporal bloom 2022-B.jpg
To capitalize on dark time, I have slept for a few hours and woke up at midnight to watch orange Moon setting to the mountains. After that I proceeded with hunting galaxies in Andromeda. After moonset, the sky got dark. Milky Way was detailed but somewhat subdued. As I discovered the transparency was not the best, likely due to the moisture in the air, and I had to work harder to resolve all those faint fuzzies.

Andromeda galaxies

NGC 845 – very faint glow, detected with AV by moving EP (168x).
IC 43 – faint round disk with brighter central area (118x).
IC 46 – small extremely faint spot, detected with AV by moving EP (118x, 168x, 235x).
IC 65 – “blinking” faint narrow lens (118x).
IC 178 – faint round disk, detected with AV next to star (168x).

IC 179 – faint circle with compact core (118x).
IC 1525 – faint oval with brighter central area (118x).
IC 1534 – small faint narrow spot next to star (168x).
NGC 51 – wide oval (168x).
IC 1540 – faint small narrow oval next to star (168x).

NGC 48 – FAIL
IC 1536 – FAIL

I may have a better shot at these two with better transparency.

IC 1542 – faint small oval (168x).
NGC 79 – faint round disk (168x).
NGC 80 – round disk with brighter core (118x).
NGC 83 – small circle (118x).
NGC 86 – faint glow with AV next to star (118x).
NGC 90 and NGC 93 – two very faint AV spots in the same FOV (168x).

By 03:00 I was getting tired of straining eyes at faint stuff but was not ready to call it a session. For something different I went to catch a few asteroids which are summarized in the table below.
asteroids 080622.jpg
Some fun facts. The largest asteroid from this session was Patientia. At 234 km diameter it is 15th largest asteroid in the belt. The smallest from this session was Amalthea at 46km diameter. It is amazing that we can see a small rock like that ~200 million kilometers away. Antiope is a double asteroid, consisting of two similar size (88 and 84 km) rocks orbiting each other. They are too close to be split by a small scope. It was visually split using bino 2 x 10 meters Keck Telescope on Mauna Kea in 2000.

I have finished around 04:00, quite satisfied except for one thing.

Perseids
Perseids are arguably the most spectacular among all meteor showers. Unfortunately, this year the Perseid maximum on August 13 coincides with full Moon. I thought I should still be able to catch some this morning, since it is just a few nights before the maximum. I took frequent breaks from the EP, and even a couple of longer breaks when I set and gaze at the sky, facing Perseids radiant. In four hours of intermittent observing I did not see a single meteor. On any other random night during the year, I always catch at least one or two meteors just by luck. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe this year is weaker shower?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Galaxies and asteroids, but no Perseids

Post by Frankskywatcher »

What a fantastic report !
I don’t know how you do it I can’t keep my eye lids open like last 1am!
I laughed at your comment “ By 3 am I was getting tired of straining my eyes at faint stuff” .
The other night I had to let one of my dogs out to relieve herself and I was like “ wow the sky looks totally different from midnight ( my usual sleep hour) to 4am” !
I was tempted to stay up and roll out the scope but I would be a zombie the next day!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:18 pm What a fantastic report !
I don’t know how you do it I can’t keep my eye lids open like last 1am!
I laughed at your comment “ By 3 am I was getting tired of straining my eyes at faint stuff” .
The other night I had to let one of my dogs out to relieve herself and I was like “ wow the sky looks totally different from midnight ( my usual sleep hour) to 4am” !
I was tempted to stay up and roll out the scope but I would be a zombie the next day!
Thanks Frank! I have discovered that if I sleep for at least two hours right before observing I feel refreshed and can enjoy observing any time of the night. I have also discovered that when I am camping I can fall to sleep any time with minimal effort, I think I picked it from my cat. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, great read, Andrey! Thanks for the info on asteroids! I also inherited "strange sleeping" habits. A couple of hours sleep gets me though the night. Acquired it from my Father me thinks.

We are planning our yearly Perseids session later this week. Not expecting much given the bright Moon. Hopefully it will be more than "none"!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 pm Great session, great read, Andrey! Thanks for the info on asteroids! I also inherited "strange sleeping" habits. A couple of hours sleep gets me though the night. Acquired it from my Father me thinks.

We are planning our yearly Perseids session later this week. Not expecting much given the bright Moon. Hopefully it will be more than "none"!!

Dave
Thanks Dave! Let us know how it goes with Perseids.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Nicely done Andrey. Andromeda has a whole lot of galaxies beside the more notable M31/32/110 ensemble. Glad to see you got an opportunity to forage for some of its dimmer constituents. I see that neither NGC 48 or IC 1536 are in my log, so I cannot offer any insight on those misses. I do see the former is mag 13.6 (SBr 13.8) and the latter 14.3 (SBr 12.9). Certainly not out of your reach. Just one of those things. Sometimes I am surprised by what I do see, and what I don't. :)

The Perseids will indeed be more of a struggle this year, but one would think that you would have seen something. Randomly I see some every time I am out, mostly in the eyepiece however. Next year will be great since it will be around new moon time.

Definitely VROD material.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:33 am Nicely done Andrey. Andromeda has a whole lot of galaxies beside the more notable M31/32/110 ensemble. Glad to see you got an opportunity to forage for some of its dimmer constituents. I see that neither NGC 48 or IC 1536 are in my log, so I cannot offer any insight on those misses. I do see the former is mag 13.6 (SBr 13.8) and the latter 14.3 (SBr 12.9). Certainly not out of your reach. Just one of those things. Sometimes I am surprised by what I do see, and what I don't. :)

The Perseids will indeed be more of a struggle this year, but one would think that you would have seen something. Randomly I see some every time I am out, mostly in the eyepiece however. Next year will be great since it will be around new moon time.

Definitely VROD material.
Thanks Alan! "Sometimes I am surprised by what I do see, and what I don't." - could not said better myself!

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. A great observing report from your Anza Desert site. As usual, you grabbed a lot of nice DSO objects as well as asteroids. I always enjoy your well written reports as well as the desert flora photographs that you provide for us. Thanks for sharing this recent outing with us Andrey and I also recommend a TSS VROD Award for your work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Fabulous report Andrey and some great hauls of galaxies. As always, looking forward to more reports and today you have won the VROD as nominated by several of your peers!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

What a fantastic report, Andrey! ... love the photos of the desert as well. :)

You've picked up some difficult galaxies there with the IC objects.. they are never easy I think... :p I'll have to give some of those a go... but with much lesser skies than Bortle 3, I don't think I'll be successful...

and congrats on the VROD!!! :occasion-balloons:
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 pm Great session, great read, Andrey! Thanks for the info on asteroids! I also inherited "strange sleeping" habits. A couple of hours sleep gets me though the night. Acquired it from my Father me thinks.

Dave
Thanks Dave! Good luck with Perseids. For now forecast for the coming weekend does not look great, but if there will be a window I will be out full Moon or not. :)
Makuser wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:35 pm Hi Andrey. A great observing report from your Anza Desert site. As usual, you grabbed a lot of nice DSO objects as well as asteroids. I always enjoy your well written reports as well as the desert flora photographs that you provide for us. Thanks for sharing this recent outing with us Andrey and I also recommend a TSS VROD Award for your work.
Thanks Marshal! I am glad you liked it.
helicon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:09 pm Fabulous report Andrey and some great hauls of galaxies. As always, looking forward to more reports and today you have won the VROD as nominated by several of your peers!
Thanks Michael and friends, much appreciated!
davesellars wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:52 pm What a fantastic report, Andrey! ... love the photos of the desert as well. :)

You've picked up some difficult galaxies there with the IC objects.. they are never easy I think... :p I'll have to give some of those a go... but with much lesser skies than Bortle 3, I don't think I'll be successful...

and congrats on the VROD!!! :occasion-balloons:
Thanks Dave! With galaxies I am using onion-peeling approach. Observing them layer by layer, starting with brighter and continuing with fainter and fainter and fainter.... :D Onion analogy feels appropriate, because sometimes it is as eye-watering as peeling onions. :lol:

From your reports I gather that you can see Milky Way from your backyard, you also got a nice 12" light bucket. I would say conditions are met for the galaxy hunting. Give it a shot you will be surprised how far you can go.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A great report Andrey, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks John and Vanessa!

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Great report and pictures Andrey; I'm always impressed with your stamina for all that! Well deserved VROD too :D

Thanks for that and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 pm Great report and pictures Andrey; I'm always impressed with your stamina for all that! Well deserved VROD too :D

Thanks for that and all the best,
Thanks Mark!