Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Monday Night - A bit of everything!

Post by davesellars »

Another nice clear night... I hadn't even bothered to take the dob in from the previous night's marathon session expecting at least to be able to get some DSO observations in. I even made an observation list in SkySafari made up of quite a few from the excellent Caldwell list scattered with a few other objects.

Stepping out at midnight though, initially the sky was quite disappointing. After the pristine sky earlier I'd expected much better but it seemed perhaps pollutants or very high haze / whatever had spoiled the sky somewhat and I could barely see the Milky Way which wasn't a good sign... The neighbours' lights were still on as well not helping the situation!

Undeterred, I started with something bright and not so affected by lighter sky - M13. The glob of course is spectacular in the 12" resolving right down to the core using the 7mm Pentax. Its "companion" galaxy was also visible, this was at least an indication that transparency was sufficient to continue for some fainter stuff a bit later.

First though, while I waited for the neighbours to switch off their lights and hopefully get a bit more darkness I went on to M57.. Again, using the 7mm Pentax for 214x was a nice power which showed the bright oval "doughnut" of the nebula well.

On to M27.. Which I'd realised I hadn't oberved for at least 4 years! Not sure how I'd not come back to this one seen as it's really a fantastic example and just how much an OIII filter improves the view. Without a filter, the nebula is large and very obvious but the shape is quite indistinct, although the brighter central region is still obvious as well as the extension. With an OIII filter, the nebula becomes a completely different beast, the central "hour-glass" form stunningly prominent with the two lobes also shown extensively. The Baader 10nm filter with the further restricted bandwidth actually gave a significant boost in contrast for these lobes over the Astronomik filter. I tried the UHC filter which gave a "boosted" version of what could be seen without a filter but was far from the view with the OIII. A Hbeta filter showed only the central hour-glass with perhaps slightly more brightness added to the top and bottom of this shape.

OK, so after spending a reasonable amount of time with M27, finally I'd got a bit more darkness back - The Milky Way was visible but without any structure. On my list was the NGC 6888 - The Crescent Nebula, which is a new observation. Initially a little difficult to find among the rich starfield, I managed to determine its position and fortunately could just about make out a slight arcing nebulosity without any filter. I selected the Baader OIII together with a 32mm Plossl for maximum exit pupil to increast the contrast for the filter and this seemed to give a good result. The nebulosity was very obvious arcing around denser region of stars in the Milky Way. It reminded me a little of a smaller / much less brighter version of the Veil. I think this will show quite a bit better on a night of excellent transparency though.

With the OIII / 32mm Plossl still in place, I headed to the North American Nebula, NGC 7000. Obviously the nebula is much more massive that the field of view so I tried to concentrate on certain regions around edges of the nebulosity and could certainly see distinct brightning of the background to then sudden darkess in areas. I think next time, I may try this again with the 120ST which is capable of getting in the entire nebula.

A switch now from nebulae to galaxies... NGC 7331 in Pegasus with the 10mm Delos was quite a view - it seemed to have real depth at the core with extensive dust surrounding it. Its companion galaxy, NGC7335 was also quite obvious although very small.

A short hop from NGC 7331 is Stephan's Qunitet - I applied more power using the 7mm pentax for 214x after I could just about discern a very faint small field of smudges. The extra power did not really help much though and I think this may be to do with the transparency.

Moving on to M33, the key factor of transparency was very much more apparent to what I'd encountered the previous night. the same eyepiece used: The 28mm Maxvision, but tonight the galaxy was ghost-like, barely on the edge of visibility.

Further up to M31 it was a little better, M110 showing again very well with M31's dust lanes quite extensive. I tried for the bright nebula, NGC 206 in M31 but I could not make this out from the dust of the galaxy. Perhaps, I should have used the OIII or UHC filter in order to attempt top bring this out... I shall attempt this again anothe night. G1, the little glob I tried to find, but I failed to discern its whereabouts, with the lack of really good indicative stars to help.

I was just about able to get to Saturn, however the seeing was not great. Nice image though, although with the 102ED it was far better the previous night!

Jupiter - Quite a surprise as I pointed the scope to this to see 2 shadow transits from Io and Ganymede. Some nice detail of whorls within the belts very occasionally with the 7mm Pentax at 214x although the seeing was seriously variable. I stayed observing Jupiter for quite a while with the transits until Io actually was inside Jupiter's disc along with the GRS... Io was actually sitting right on top of it. Although the GRS itself was exceptionally difficult to make out properly at this point (it does seem the colour is not as intense as the 4 or 5 years ago?)

I finished up with Mars but the seeing was nowhere near good enough. I could just about make out an indistinct dark region.

Finishing up close to 4am, it had been a nice productive night despite not ideal conditions... I still have 18 items on my list I didn't get to... :p Perhaps tonight.... ;)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Monday Night - A bit of everything!

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. A nice follow up observing report with the 12" Dob telescope. You logged some nice Messier and NGC objects, as well as Saturn, Jupiter, and a faint Mars. Thanks for your excellent report Dave and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great session Dave! Congrats on catching the double shadow transit. Last time I saw one was a year or two ago. I agree with your assessment that for the last 2-3 years GRS color is not as intense as before. Coincidently Jupiter been riding through the lower (for Norden observers) portion of ecliptics. Hopefully, once it moves to the Norden constellations the color saturation and contrast will improve.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

that's an interesting session, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your excellent report. Your description of NGC6888 matches my experiences with it last holiday on a dark location. Very nice!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Another nice outing Dave. Congrats on NGC 6888, as it can be a tough visual target. About Stephan's Quintet or Hickson 92 or Arp 319 (whichever one prefers), it can be a challenging little group, particularly if transparency is a bit weak. Because they are squeezed into a field about 3.5' in diameter, they can be a little difficult to spread out. Particularly the overlapping pair NGC 7318. While some sources state they are an interacting group, that only applies to four of them. NGC 7320 is a foreground object that is merely a line of sight companion. Well done and hopefully with some better conditions and more magnification this autumn you can get a better view of them.

NGC 7317 (mag=13.6, SBr=13.8)
NGC 7318A (mag=13.4, SBr=13.0)
NGC 7318B (mag=13.1, SBr=13.2)
NGC 7319 (mag=13.1, SBr=13.8)
NGC 7320 (mag=12.6, SBr=13.5)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session and report, Dave! Jupiter is always a treat, but much more so with the GRS and double transit!! Way kool!!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Many thanks all!

I seem to remember observing Stephen's Quintet quite a few years ago and was able to then view 3 of them but not all 5. With a bit of luck I'll get a better view next time again. :)

While it was reasonably clear last night there was some high cloud about and the transparency seemed even worse so took the night off! I was absolutely knackered after the previous two night's shenanigans anyway! :p
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.