Celestron Nexstar 8se newbie needing advice on accessories

Discuss Celestron telescopes
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Celestron Nexstar 8se newbie needing advice on accessories

Post by pbalvin »

I'm real happy with the Celestron Powertank Lithium rechargeable power supply. I have AA's too but only for backup. Never had to use them. Very, very rarely do you have to recharge it. Lights on it tell you when a recharge is necessary. It is allowed on passenger planes per 49 CFR 175.10 (a). Just in case, I'd take a printed copy of it with me.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Maybe you can ask around and borrow or try out something before buying. It can get expensive quick and what some like, others don't.

For power I use a 120v to 12v adapter with a cigarrete outlet if I am close enough to an outlet. Just make sure the one you have/get is the right voltage and has enough amps to power the scope. You also MUST ensure the plug is the proper polarity. The barrel plugs like the mount uses are not all the same in devices. Some are +barrel and the next one could be - barrel. Can't recall what the mount takes but to be safe get a cord from celestron and no worries. IIRC the plug dimensions are a little off from some common hardware store power supply ones as well. Plugging the wrong polarity can fry the electronics as I do not believe there is any reverse polarity protction on the mount

For portable use I have the Powertank Lithium Pro which works quite well. I also use it for other things as it has lights and USB outlets. IIRC it comes with the power cable for the mount.

Consider the f/6.3 Reducer. I got one and find the views more pleasing.

I tossed my red dot finder and got a Telrad. They will dew up - like anything will - but you can make a dew shield for them from craft foam
( https://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/down ... hield.html) or add a dew heater to it.

An OTA dew shield helps. You can buy one but I went to the $ store and bought a black snow carpet (yeah |I know this one is blue but all I found on a quick image search :D )
ssnocarpet.jpg
ssnocarpet.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 632 times
and some stick on velcreo and made my own. Just check that the shinny side is out/dull side in.

I have a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom and it is handy if you dont want to fiddle with EPs.

I tend to keep my tripod low so I can sit on a small foldable tripod stool and observe. Works for me and I like to think the lower height makes it more stable.

Get a small tarp/sheet to lay under the scope when using it. Makes it much easier to find dropped items.

I did buy a 2" diagonal but have rarely used it.

Hard Case. I lucked out at a yard sale and got a large cooler for $10 that fits the box the OTA came in. keeps it safe.

Hope that helps.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

regarding changing the finder , I only like RACI finders on Newts , they just dont work for me on SCT Refractors etc where one looks from the back , in your case its a go to scope so a simple red dot is good to align it then one does not really need a finder , RACI finders are great for star hopping on manual scopes
As mentioned many times use the scope as is for a few months and you will leans what you need , but a chair is probably the first
Enjoy it its a good scope for visual and some basic AP
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5