Track rocket launches with Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
GoSkyWatch5
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Track rocket launches with Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro

Post by GoSkyWatch5 »

I wish to use my Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro mount with an Orion 120mm guide scope and ZWO ASI120MM-S camera to track launches out of Cape Canaveral from my home 130 miles away. The rockets' plumes are easily visible to the naked eye during night launches. Does anyone have a system that will connect to the camera, detect the rocket's plume, and send tracking commands to the mount to keep it centered? (I would then record the event with the main scope that is also riding on the mount.)

The angular motion of boost-phase rockets as seen from 130 miles away are easily within the mount's slewing capability. I've seen a tracking example using a different mount and based on pre-launch predictions to do this, but I am looking for a closed-loop solution for my mount and tracking camera.

I envision using a joystick with a switch to initially find and select the object to be tracked. Then let the TBD system take over, providing manual corrections only if needed. I have all Mac computing hardware. I currently control my system using an iPad and wifi communication to an ASIAIR-Plus controller that connects to the ZWO camera and mount for astrophotography.

Can anyone help with this non-astro application?
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Track rocket launches with Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro

Post by helicon »

Interesting question and you should get some knowledgeable responses. Welcome to the Forum!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

The only way I could find was to do it manually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/commen ... ch_with_a/
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

GoSkyWatch5
Earth Ambassador

Post by GoSkyWatch5 »

Thanks, Gordon. I don't think I would be steady enough to track by manually pointing my scope as was done by your reference. I'll look into putting KStars on my MacBook Air and adding a joystick. I have no experience with that route, but maybe this is the time to learn... It just seems that this mount could smoothly slew my 8" EdgeHD scope and do a great job of tracking if only there was a way to command it to guide on moving non-astro objects.
GoSkyWatch5
Earth Ambassador

Post by GoSkyWatch5 »

Here's an update in case anyone else is interested in trying this using Mac OSX. I was able to install an old version of KStars on my m1 MacBook Air. (The current version of KStars will not run on my MacBook.) I had installed INDI separately, although apparently it comes with KStars, as does Ekos. Regardless, after fumbling my way attempting to link KStars to my mount and to a joystick, I now learn that joystick operations are limited to Linux. Ugh. I think that ends this approach at this time.