John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Holiday observations

Post by John Baars »

Here on vacation in the vicinity of the sea and beach is a good place to be. At night Bortle 4 skies, with a nod to even slightly darker ones in the zenith. Last night a northwest airflow of ocean air had swept the sky well.

I had brought my 4 inch Vixen refractor. Accompanied by a 30mm widefield eyepiece, a barlow and my Leica zoom. Always good for surprises. But when the queen of the atmosphere gives you a benevolent nod, the gift is complete.

As a simple city dweller, I think it's quite something when I can see the Andromeda Nebula with the naked eye. Pooh...
The mount responded willingly when I had Arcturus looked up with the sun still above the horizon. Fortunately, the previous evening's alignment exercise paid off ; Arcturus welcomed me happily twinkling in the center of the image. As yet, after twenty minutes of cooling, it would look nice and tight.

Soon I sought out the first double stars. Albireo, Delta Cygni and SAO 84572 in Hercules, a tricky one with 1.2" separation. Piece of cake, with two fingers in his nose.....
Gradually looked up the first bright summer objects, M13 was among them of course, two propeller blades visible.

Then the more difficult objects, with or without UHC filter. The real party started around 0:00 and ended at 4:00. Below is a list of the around 50 objects I observed. It would be going too far to discuss each of them, but I will not withhold some highlights from you.
- NGC 6781 a nice round planetary nebula, magnitude 11.6. Invisible at home, here with and without UHC unmistakable.
NGC 6781door Vixen(5Final).jpg

- All parts of the Veil nebula, culminating in the eastern part NGC6992, which slid through the image like a beam of light. As icing on the cake, I sought out neighboring Sharpless 2-102. That was no problem with a UHC filter. Thanks to my 30mm widefield eyepiece.

- Speaking of lightbars, M57 was no flaccid smoke ring here, but leapt forward powerfully and brightly. The accompanying little star of magnitude 13 was visible without averted vision.

- The loose globular cluster M71 in Sagitta demonstrated that even with a 4-inch instrument you can easily see more than 12 separate stars.

- The fireworks of NGC 884 and 869, the double cluster in Perseus of course cannot be missed, with its row of stars to Stock 2. Stock 2? almost unrecognizable due to the multitude of stars.

- Some Galaxies were not to be missed, the home untraceable M110, M33, M108, M101 and M109 fell from the tree like ripe apples. What a wealth to live in such dark surroundings!!!

- Then there was a fat cloud...? Ah well no, just the Scutum Cloud with the breathtaking M11, Wild Duck Cluster in it.

- And ohhh... the rich harvest in Sagittarius, the deepsky objects tumbled over one another, each one more beautiful than the next. M17 can count on a place in my heart. M8 actually too...it's too much for a simple city observer who happens to get to spend a night in Valhalla. Problem is: one wants to see all....preferably at the same time.

Murphy came to take a look. Just then I was looking at Saturn. Suddenly the power was down. ??? I got the power from an outside outlet. Using a voltage detector I came to the conclusion that suddenly the minus pole was also under weak current. That's not good. The fault circuit breaker had not tripped. So I took the power from inside the house. Cost me 20 minutes. ( All the time fearing for a defect in my handcontroller of course. Thank you Mr.Murphy) . After Saturn, Jupiter peeped out above a roof edge. Terrible seeing, but the shade transition of Europa was clearly visible. I thought it was a nice finish. Although I had not finished my holiday-wish-list yet.

Full list of the session in random sequence:

- Clusters with or without nebula:
NGC 6940, NGC884 & 869 Double in Perseus, Stock 2, NGC457 ET Cluster, NGC663, M11 Wild Duck, M17 Swan, M8, M24, M16, Scutum Cloud, M23, M20, M25, NGC6633 Tweedledum, M29 Cooling Tower, M39, NGC6819 Fox head

- Planetairies
M57, NGC 6210 Turtle, NGC 6781 Snow ball, M27 Dumbbell, M97 Owl. Last three with UHC filter.

- Globulars
M13, M92, M56, NGC6229, M71, M28, M22

- Galaxies
M31Andromeda, M32, M110, M33, M81, M82, M101, M108, M109

- Double stars
Albireo, Delta Cygni, SAO 84572

- Miscellaneous
NGC 6888 Crescent, The complete works of the Veil Nebula ( East, West, Broom, Triangle) , Sh2-102, all with UHC filter

-Planets
Saturn, Jupiter
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Holiday observations

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

That is a very comprehensive report John with some great sightings.

Apart from a couple of little scary moments thrown in, you pressed on and got what you wanted.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great session John!

I agree, for the city dweller dark sky comes as a revelation. You don't know what you missing until you see it.

I like your travel set. What mount did you bring?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice report John. I am happy you got a chance to observe from a darker location. That can certainly be an eye opener indeed. Sounds like you had a fine time on your holiday despite any little hiccups.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report John. The seaside is treating you well and nothing can be more satisfying than catching the fainter Messier galaxies in Ursa Major through a 4" refractor! You enjoyed an evening that reminds one of James Muirden, a well-known astronomer and author who also uses 4" scopes to great effect. 50 objects is a tremendous haul and you made great use of the available observing time. Congratulations on the VROD for today (as nominated by bigzmey) and a great sketch in there as well!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello John. A very exciting observing report with your 4" Vixen refractor at the holiday/vacation site. And you recorded 50 wonderful objects during your session. Thanks for the nice report John and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations John on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.

Well deserved.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks to all for your kind words and congratulations!
@Bigzmey The grand old Vixen lady is supported by a slightly younger mount, a GPDX with Skysensor 2000, also from the nineties :D It is the same as the one in my Avatar, but a tripod underneath.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

Very nice outing John ! 🙂
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful observing report John! Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!

I love observing on vacation, except for an Amtrak trip out to Montana, I usually end up in brighter skies, but I still find it fun and relaxing.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Congrats on the VROD John, well deserved. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, John...and very enjoyable read!! Love those high quality 4 inch fracs!! Congrats on your VROD!!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Very nice report John. Congrats on the VROD. I keep hoping for a break in the clouds here but I feel this new moon cycle is a bust. Maybe August's 10-day dark sky period will fair better.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

So glad you are getting some good viewing during holiday John.
Enjoy the time :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt