Observing Report for 21 July 2022 – a bit challenging, but back on track!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 21 July 2022 – a bit challenging, but back on track!

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of my stay at our dark site house seemed to have a more promising forecast – initially. But as the day wore on, things started to shift on the various sites known for astronomical forecasting. The transparency prediction went from above average to average and in some cases below average, while seeing went from below average to poor. Clouds were abundant off and on during the afternoon, when a short period of light rain passed through the area before some clearing began. I went out for a walk around the yard about 2000 hours and the sky looked rather sickly. A lot of high thin clouds were present, which did not bode well for my hope to get back into my galaxy hunting ways, or Plan A as Marshall alluded to in my previous night’s report. :)

At that point I made the decision not to set up at that time feeling things were simply not going to go well generally with the sky. Then just before 2100 hours I went out again, and while some clouds remained, the skies seemed to be clearing from the west. So I then rolled back my previous decision and began setting up my gear. I finished close to 2130 hours and went back inside for a little bit, heading out just before 2200. Astronomical darkness would not be in place until about 2227.

Looking skyward things were doing so-so for the most part. Just a few clouds mostly toward the eastern and southern horizons were present. As the Milky Way started to fill in I saw the same characteristics as the evening before. The main plane of our galaxy was present but in a very subdued manner. Rather than a bright and highly structured entity, it presented a sickly pale ban that did not reach horizon to horizon. The sky in general had a muted appearance, not nearly as crisp as usual. Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to stick to my guns and seek some galaxies.

I poked around a little in eastern Libra, and then had a momentary pause in Aquila before finishing up in Delphinus. I utilized chart 128 in the Uranometria All-Sky Edition for Libra and chart 84 for Aquila/Delphinus. There were times when the stars in the field of view held steady as points, then would dissolve into bloated blotches of light. Once in a while even at 152x (8.7x/inch) stars could not be focused. So this really made galaxy hunting challenging. This forced me to be careful and dutiful in my assessment of the star fields to insure I did not mistake a blurry dim star for a possible galaxy. Just part of the galaxy hunting game though and something I do every time out. There were times I was surprised I was seeing much in the way of galaxies. It seemed conditions were highly variable which adds its own dynamic to the process. While the hunt was slow, it was successful, even if in a more modest sense than I usually strive to achieve. But, the key thing was that galaxies were had, and I count that as a success since hunting those little buggers is my primary motivator in the field. So why not come along with me as I try to extract a few faint fuzzies out of a mucky sky. But as Jimmy Duggan said in A League of Their Own – “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.” At least that’s how I see it! :)

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Aiming my scope at mag 2.6 Beta Scorpii (Graffias) I swept about 8.5° into eastern Libra to mag 3.9 Gamma Libra (Zuben Elakrab). From here I slipped SSE almost 2° to begin my evening’s journey. Come along, won’t you?

NGC 5959 (Libra, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.9’x1.6’, SBr=14.6):
Up first was this elliptical, which was located using 152x. It presented a small and dim thick oval glow that was smoothly diffuse in appearance. Dropping in the 10mm Pentax XW (199x) it was even more apparent but remained homogeneous to the eye. There was also a second galaxy in the view just under 2’ to the east. However, NGC 5959 was clearly the brighter and larger of the pair. (New)

MCG -3-40-3 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.2):
Just east of NGC 5959 and easily within the same field of view was this little snippet of galactic light. Viewed at 152x it was a very small and very dim oval glow. Then at 199x it was still dim but not particularly difficult next to its larger and brighter field mate. It remained a smoothly illuminated small oval disk. (New)

NGC 5973 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.9’x0.3’, SBr=12.8):
Returning to Gamma Librae, I continued northward to 37 Librae (mag 4.6). Then I hopped to the northeast about 2° to locate this lenticular. Found with 152x it was a very small and fairly dim little oval that was slightly elongated in appearance. Viewed at 199x it remained a smooth little oval with no hint of interior brightening. Though dim it was not particularly difficult. (New)

MCG -1-40-4 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=13.6):
About 40’ west of the previous object and just over 1’ SSW of a mag 9.5 field star I located this little dust bunny. The nearby star seemed to throb at times with changes in seeing. It would shift between being a stellar point and bloated out of focus. The galaxy remained visible at 152x though very small and fairly dim. Going up to 199x the galaxy was more apparent snuggled up to the star and its elongated oval disk remained a smoothly illuminated entity. (New)

As an aside to the galaxy, I took note of a pretty double star only about 16’ ESE of MCG -1-40-4 and within the same field of view. The pair catalogued as STF1962, were aligned almost north-south. The two components are of magnitude 5.4 and 6.4, with a separation of about 11.6’. The pair appeared white and quite bright and pretty. There was a third unrelated star in close proximity south of the pair, mag 6.6 HD 139460. It gave the appearance of a nice triple in a north-south orientation.

MCG -1-40-1 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x0.4’, SBr=12.8):
I now nudged west just over 1° to a field about half a degree northwest of the mag 5.1 variable IU Librae. I picked up this galaxy at 152x just as the field was trying to sneak behind a tree. It appeared fairly dim and small and I felt that the tree might have been compromising the view slightly. It’s somewhat elongated oval disk was evenly illuminated. Using 199x it was weak and I went ahead to 283x to have a look as well. It remained dim and very diffuse in appearance. Since the field I was working was becoming compromised by leaves, I now headed northward. (New)

NGC 6906 (Aquila, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.7’x0.8, SBr=12.5):
Turning to chart 84 in Uranometria I aimed the scope at mag 3.7 Beta Aquilae (Alshain) then hopped eastward about 7° reaching the border with Delphinus. Before slipping into the celestial dolphin’s waters, I stopped at this previously viewed (four years ago) galaxy for a quick look and to seek a second galaxy I missed previously. Easily located with 152x it appeared as a small oval glow that seemed to have an intermittent stellar core trying to pop into view periodically. This was easily the brightest galaxy of the evening.

NGC 6901 (Aquila, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.4’x0.5’, SBr=13.1):
Nudging slightly west from NGC 6906 and studying the field just north of a wide north-south pair of stars (9th and 10th mag), I picked up this spiral using 152x. Visually it was very small and dim to the eye, its envelope a little elongated in shape. Taking a peek at 199x it was more apparent, but still dim overall. I was now seeing a stellar core held steadily at the center of its disk. (New)

UGC 11599 (Delphinus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.3’x1.7’, SBr=14.0):
Okay, so now we wander into Delphinus aiming the scope at mag 4.0 Epsilon Delphini (Deneb Dulfim). I then eased eastward to mag 5.4 Iota Delphini studying the field immediately to its WNW. I easily located this small and slightly dim homogeneous oval using 152x. It was quite easy at 199x, but its thick oval disk remained smoothly illuminated. (New)

UGC 11605 (Delphinus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.9):
About halfway between Iota and Kappa Delphini (mag 5.1) I located this elliptical. It presented as a dim and very small round diffuse glow with an 11th mag field star just off its southern edge. Then at 199x it was slightly more apparent, at times I was picking up a tiny, non-stellar brightness in its core. (New)

UGC 11602 (Delphinus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.7):
About 24’ southwest of the previous object I spotted this lenticular. A mag 8.8 field star lay between them. At 152x it was a small and dim oval that was homogeneous in appearance. Though dim it was not difficult. Moving to 199x its appearance remained similar though slightly more apparent. (New)

UGC 11572 (Delphinus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=13.4):
Moving back to Epsilon I slid southwest less than a degree to 1 Delphini (mag 6.0). Just west of this star is a loose gaggle of four galaxies. This elliptical was the first of the group spotted using 152x. It presented a small and dim diffuse disk. Viewed at both 199x and 283x it was still a little dim, but not difficult. It also remained homogeneous with not uptick in internal brightness noted. (New)

UGC 11571 (Delphinus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.9’x0.5’, SBr=13.9):
In the same view and immediately southwest of the previous galaxy I was looking for this barred spiral. At 152x I was not picking up this little barred spiral. Even at 199x it was merely suspected as a dim dust mote but was not totally convinced. Finally at 283x I was able to confirm its presence as a very dim and small subtly elongated diffuse oval glow. Looking at the sky, I could see things were starting to get a little worse up there. (New)

UGC 11568 (Delphinus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=2.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.9):
In the same field of view as the last two objects and about 11’ WNW of them, I picked up this spiral using 152x. It presented a small and fairly dim oval glow. At both 199x and 283x it remained visually weak, but not difficult to discern within the view. (New)

UGC 11564 (Delphinus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.5’x0.2’, SBr=12.5):
About 9.5’ west of UGC 11568 and within the same field, I just had a fleeting suspicion of this object immediately north of two dim field stars. Going on up to 199x I had a stronger suspicion of the presence of a thin diffuse glow, but was still not satisfied. Then at 283x as seeing settled down I was picking up this small and fairly dim elongated diffuse glow north of the stars. It was weak visually, and using averted vision definitely helped pick it up under these conditions. It was more difficult than I would have thought honestly. (New)

NGC 6969 (Delphinus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.1’x0.3’, SBr=12.6):
My final object was located southeast of mag 5.7 Theta Delphinus, about 1.5° from the star. Located using 152x, it was a small and dim homogeneous oval glow. It remained dim and small at 199x and its envelope was still smoothly illuminated. (New)

It was now about 0100 hours and frankly I was tired of peering through the muck. I struck out more than a few times on other galaxies. At times the seeing caused the light from dim stars to smear sending false alarms of a possible galaxy in the field of view, but taking my time I vetted each observation to make 100% certain I was seeing or not seeing my targets before they were logged. A rough night in the field, but it was still rewarding on many levels. That is about the lowest object count I’ve had in a long time for around three hours in the field, but the conditions simply forced me to slow down and take longer with many objects to confirm their presence in the eyepiece. A labor of love I guess one could say. Anyway, thank you for tagging along with me, and I hope to see you out there sometime soon, but under much better conditions! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 21 July 2022 – a bit challenging, but back on track!

Post by jrkirkham »

Wow, you did have a tiring night.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

jrkirkham wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:57 pm Wow, you did have a tiring night.

Well even a good night is tiring to me. But the difficult sky quality made my task even more difficult and that drains the mind, and thus the body. But it was still fun. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Just for illustration purposes, here is an image for the NGC 6906 and 6901 fields in Aquila. While obviously more detailed than what I saw in the scope, they lay in a beautiful Milky Way star field. The brighter galaxy is 12.3 mag while its dimmer neighbor is 13.7 some comparison of the galaxies separated by 18 arc minutes. Visually the nearly 1.5 magnitude difference is very obvious. The image is from the Digitized Sky Survey II.
NGC 6906_6901.jpg
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice hauls Alan in somewhat less than optimal conditions, and congrats on seeing so many galaxies in Delphinus where the star fields can get a bit in the way of the faint fuzzies and a well-deserved VROD as well!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:01 pm Nice hauls Alan in somewhat less than optimal conditions, and congrats on seeing so many galaxies in Delphinus where the star fields can get a bit in the way of the faint fuzzies and a well-deserved VROD as well!

Thank you Michael. Delphinus is mostly known for a pair of globular clusters and a pair of planetary nebulae in the NGC. Its brightest galaxies are in the 12th mag range, and it contains no Messier objects. While the constellation pattern is distinctive, it if often passed over by many observers in favor of other richer constellations nearby. :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another fine observing report from your dark site house with the 17.5 inch f/4.5 telescope. A nice haul of galaxies in Libra, Aquila, and Delphinus. Thanks for your excellent descriptive report Alan and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:13 pm
helicon wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:01 pm Nice hauls Alan in somewhat less than optimal conditions, and congrats on seeing so many galaxies in Delphinus where the star fields can get a bit in the way of the faint fuzzies and a well-deserved VROD as well!

Thank you Michael. Delphinus is mostly known for a pair of globular clusters and a pair of planetary nebulae in the NGC. Its brightest galaxies are in the 12th mag range, and it contains no Messier objects. While the constellation pattern is distinctive, it if often passed over by many observers in favor of other richer constellations nearby. :)
Agreed. And I have yet to see any galaxies in Delphinus!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:16 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:13 pm

Agreed. And I have yet to see any galaxies in Delphinus!

Galaxies there be in those waters of course, but none that really make much of an impression. I am very fortunate to have observed over 20 galaxies in Delphinus, but that I have access to darker skies and larger aperture is the key there.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:14 pm Hi Alan. Another fine observing report from your dark site house with the 17.5 inch f/4.5 telescope. A nice haul of galaxies in Libra, Aquila, and Delphinus. Thanks for your excellent descriptive report Alan and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.

Thank you Marshall. I appreciate you taking the time to read through my report as always. I hope my efforts sometimes help to highlight the less favored constellations and to show that while they sometimes may not contain any showpieces, they truly are not merely empty patches of sky.
Alan

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Great work as always Alan. You reeled in many new galaxies. I am always impressed by the depth and precision in your reports. :D Congrats on the VROD.. I looked closely and this is #34.. As my youngest kid would say, that slaps. :clap: :sprefac:
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Yes we have home run hitters here as far as winning awards.
-Michael
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on a great report, a thorough session and your well deserved VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kanadalainen wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:34 pm Great work as always Alan. You reeled in many new galaxies. I am always impressed by the depth and precision in your reports. :D Congrats on the VROD.. I looked closely and this is #34.. As my youngest kid would say, that slaps. :clap: :sprefac:
helicon wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:42 pm Yes we have home run hitters here as far as winning awards.

Thank you Ian and Michael. I just do what I do. While the awards are nice, and I appreciate the validation of my efforts, they are secondary. I could observe and never submit a report and be perfectly happy. However my motivation for doing so is the hope that something I do or write might be the inspiration for at least one person to get out there and pursue the night sky visually. If that inspiration leads them to discover the fun and excitement of galaxy hunting as I see it and feel it, all the better.

I recall a few years back on the other site, a member posed the question about whether pursuing galaxies was worth the effort. One of the then moderators (not present on TSS) told them flatly it was a waste of time because they were all too dim. I immediately responded with a post in which I respectfully countered the moderator's flippant response. While I don't recall the exact words I wrote in response, I felt that moderator did a real disservice to summarily dismiss that member's question so quickly and easily. That inspired me to keep putting out my reports focused primarily on galaxy hunting in hopes of sparking an interest in others. I've pursued galaxies with binoculars up to my 17.5 inch, and no, they frequently aren't easy to observe, but they are a challenge worthy of pursuing in my mind. :twocents:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:14 pm Congratulations on a great report, a thorough session and your well deserved VROD!

Thank you John, appreciate your kind comments. :)
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Solid session considering sub-optimal conditions, Alan. Soupy skies are buzz kill but still beats watching TV. :D

Congrats on the VROD!

We are in monsoon season and having our share of moisture and clouds. By some luck I have managed a session last weekend but the forecast for the coming weekend is not good.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:07 pm Solid session considering sub-optimal conditions, Alan. Soupy skies are buzz kill but still beats watching TV. :D

Congrats on the VROD!

We are in monsoon season and having our share of moisture and clouds. By some luck I have managed a session last weekend but the forecast for the coming weekend is not good.

Thank you Andrey. Our weather is similar, with the next 10 days showing a rainy trend at the dark site. Clear Outside is showing red for the next 7. So looks like I will be waiting for the next cycle.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Another productive session, Alan! I applaud your perseverance! On nights like that I can barely make an hour!! Congrats on another well deserved VROD.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:32 am Another productive session, Alan! I applaud your perseverance! On nights like that I can barely make an hour!! Congrats on another well deserved VROD.

Dave

Thank you Dave. what you call perseverance in reality is nothing more than my general tendency toward plain old stubbornness!. Sometimes the line between the two can be very fine indeed! :)
Alan