New forum extension, Modern Quote

Here's some of the tips & tricks of using our forum.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New forum extension, Modern Quote

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all,

I'd like to give a brief overview of a new extension on the forum called Modern Quote.
It's like Reply with Quote in a post, but with a little more "ooomph" ;)

Please note, this article describes usage on a PC, but will work with any device.

You'll find the Modern Quote icon to the right of Reply with Quote:

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

First, I'd like to mention a feature it has that isn't readily obvious.

Let's say you are reading a post, and you want to reply, but only quote a few sentences or a single paragraph. If you highlight the part you want and let go of the mouse, you will get a pop-up box saying Quote.

In the following image, you can see I right clicked the highlighted part, showing that you can also copy or search the highlighted text as well if that was your original intent.

Image2.jpg

Clicking on the quote box presents you with this; your reply with only the part you want quoted :D

Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

The second feature is the Modern Quote icon itself. Go to a post you want to reply to and click on it. The icon changes colour, and a new pop-up box appears at the bottom right of your screen:

Image4.jpg

Now go to the next post you want to reply to and click the icon again. It changes colour and the number in the box now reads two.

You can pick and choose your replies, and if you decide you don't want to reply to one that you did, just click the Modern Quote icon again and the colour changes back and the pop-up box count goes down.

You have the option in the pop-up box to click the little garbage can; this will clear all replies. Once you're ready, click on Quote and you get a reply screen with all the people you want to get back to.

I personally used to do all that with a text editor; this is so much easier!

But wait, there's more! :lol:

For example, let's say I'm reading a post by Joe User in the Astronomy Reports subforum about his viewing of Saturn. His description reminds me of a picture in the Solar System images forum under the Astrophotography Photos subforum, and also a picture of the Moon in conjunction with Saturn in the Lunar images forum.

I'd like to reply to Joe User with the pictures and text from the posts mentioned above. Again, I used to use a text editor...

I go to the post with the picture of Saturn and click the Modern Quote icon. The pop-up box appears with a 1 in it. Now I click my browsers back button. Oh, no, the pop-up box disappeared...!!

No need to panic; it's in the "background", so to speak.

Now I go to the Lunar images forum, and I notice the pop-up box is back. I go to the post with the pic of the Moon and Saturn, and click the Modern Quote icon, and the count is now two.

Back off to the post from Joe User. Again, I click the Modern Quote icon to add his post to the list, and then click Quote in the pop-up box.

All the text and pictures are there from the different posts, and you can type your reply.

Keep in mind that when going across and quoting multiple posts from various forums, the final addition to to the count has to be the user you're replying to. If you accidentally made them the first, just click the Modern Quote icon to remove them, then again to add them and click Quote in the pop-up box.

There is one thing to be aware of. If you highlight any part of a post and the Quote box comes up, it will clear anything you've added using the Modern Quote icon.

Any problems or questions, please respond here and a member of the TEAM will be happy to assist :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New forum extension, Modern Quote

Post by Bigzmey »

This is a nice extension but I don't see it on my Android phone and PC. I see "thumbs up" icon to the right of the old style quote icon.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:51 pm This is a nice extension but I don't see it on my Android phone and PC. I see "thumbs up" icon to the right of the old style quote icon.
That's odd... I've tried it on both our Android tablets and my personal Android and Apple phone for work, and they all show it.

What style are you using?
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

It is style specific. I don't see it with pro silver which I am using but it does appear when I switch to Dark Vision.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:02 pm It is style specific. I don't see it with pro silver which I am using but it does appear when I switch to Dark Vision.
Same here, I don't see it and I use pro silver too.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

OK, this is really bizarre...!! I use the prosilver theme on the TSS test forum, and everything shows up. Yet on the "live" forum, I get nothing as well.

Let me look into this; sorry for that!
Mark

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:02 pm It is style specific. I don't see it with pro silver which I am using but it does appear when I switch to Dark Vision.
SkyHiker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:33 pm
Same here, I don't see it and I use pro silver too.
Ok, I think I found the problem.

When the test forum crashed recently it was reinstalled, and the version of the board software installed was phpBB 3.3.8. The actual forum was updated by Gordon a while ago, but the version available at the time was 3.3.7. I just signed into the ACP part of the live forum and was informed that "Your phpBB installation is not up to date". That was the moment of clarity :lol:

Prosilver is the default board style, but there were some issues with certain extensions with the Prosilver basic theme in version 3.3.7; Modern Quote seems to be one of them.

Let me coordinate with Gordon on a time to update the live forum to 3.3.8, and all this will be sorted.

Thanks for the feedback; much appreciated!! :D
Mark

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

That's very cool. I've seen it in action on a different forum but didn't realize you could cross-quote from different sub-forums.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Modern Quotes icon now displays on The Prosilver style.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:32 am Modern Quotes icon now displays on The Prosilver style.
Sweet! It works great.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Works for me to now, thanks!

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Not sure what's going on, I are the opton on my Android but it's greyed out, it's Android 12 and edge is the browser.
Screenshot_20220725-195648_Edge.jpg
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Chris,
The reason it's greyed out is because it hasn't been used. It only highlights when you tap on it to respond to another users post.

Hope this helps,
Mark

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:08 pm No need to panic;
Works great!
Thank you for the "guide"
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount