How do you plan targets for your sessions?

Discuss deep sky objects.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: How do you plan targets for your sessions?

Post by Star Dad »

I have a "spreadsheet" that lists potential targets I collect from the Astronomy magazine articles. I go through them and arrange them by month by maximum altitude. I put the object's name in a cell and add a one letter descriptor - ie M13C (C=cluster N would be nebula). I then determine Moon position and select either the cluster/galaxies or Nebula depending on the moon/time. I determine max altitude by using stellarium on the 15th of each month. Thus I have an almost ready list. After I've imaged the object I delete it from that spread sheet and add to my "done" sheet. But I may not remove it if I need additional photons. If I need additional objects for a given month I'll use Telescopius on line.

For Outreach I use the book "Star Watch" by Philip S Harrington. It's broken down by season and rates each object based on observing instrument and "WOW" factor. It's a great guide for the visual observer.

In any case I always double check altitudes versus the observing place and then print the list using just a table in a word processor giving the name, Alt/Az, magnitude, eyepiece to use, distance (I often get asked how far away something it), and any interesting tidbit - Ie M13 is also the Great Hercules Cluster. Slide the printout into a plastic sheet protector to keep the dew off it and put it in my 3-ring binder for on the scene reference.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I use the dartboard method. I have found this takes all the worry away from selecting objects for an evenings viewing or imaging for that matter.

The idea is simple there are 82 segmented sections on a standard dartboard starting with the outer double to the outer single to the inner triple and then the inner single. So 4 segments per number with 20 numbers that's 80 segments, now include the outer Bullseye and the inner Bullseye and you have all 82.
dartboard-scoring-guide_large.jpg
dartboard-scoring-guide_large.jpg (26.3 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Next you select an appropriate list of objects, the Messier's, the Herschel's, the Saguaro Astro Club, Etc. Working from outside to inside, you start with object 1 at the double ring, object 2 the outer single, object 3 the triple ring, and object 4 the inner single. Do this all the way around the board staying in numerical sequence on the board so don't jump from number one to number 18 ( immediately adjacent), actually go to number 2, and then number 3. Finally, you round out the list with object 81 going to the outer bull and object 82 going to the inner bull.

Now for the fun part, grab up ten darts in your throwing hand, stand back 8 ft or 2.4m and hurl all ten darts at once at the dartboard. Wherever a dart lands in the field of play copy down the object number that corresponds with that dart. Additionally, if a dart lands outside of the field of play or misses the board entirely, this incurs a moon penalty (use the moon if it's visible if not use a street light, or a porch light) This means you have to observe the moon/light for no less than 60 seconds to destroy your night vision so you have to earn the remaining objects by regaining your night-vision. You become better at darts when you play this way.

Anyway, that's one of the many methods you could use. There are many variations to this method and I will leave it up to your imagination on how you would set up your system.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

1. Look up forecasts for the best night of the week to observe.
2. Tell my wife ahead of time when I plan to go out.
3. Choose my targets for the night. I like to work on the AL observing clubs. I've made it though 11 clubs or levels and am working on two more.
4. Research everything I can find on my targets for the night. I want to understand as much as possible about them.
5. Enjoy the night
6. Stop past some fast food place on the way home and get breakfast for my wife.

That's my pattern. :D
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It'll soon get easier to me. The sky is getting so light, that soon the only object will be moon.
That'll then last 'till August.

It's easy to choose, if you only have one option. :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

JayTee wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:57 pm I use the dartboard method. I have found this takes all the worry away from selecting objects for an evenings viewing or imaging for that matter.

The idea is simple there are 82 segmented sections on a standard dartboard starting with the outer double to the outer single to the inner triple and then the inner single. So 4 segments per number with 20 numbers that's 80 segments, now include the outer Bullseye and the inner Bullseye and you have all 82.

Cheers,
If you multiply the numbers from three darts you have up to 20x20x20=8000, only a few more than the 7840 NGC catalogue objects.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:40 pm It'll soon get easier to me. The sky is getting so light, that soon the only object will be moon.

Don't forget Sun. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Lots of great ideas for those of us still relatively new to the hobby.

I get a weekly email from Sky and Telescope with events for the next seven days.
I don't bother checking weather more than three days out.
If the general forecast looks good I start checking the predicted seeing conditions on Meteoblue the day before.
If everything still looks good after lunch I pick a few targets that meet the constraints I have at the location for that night; light pollution, etc.
Based on all of the above, I decide on what gear I will need and try to get everything set up before sunset.
After that I throw a beach towel over the equipment, stock the fridge, and hope for the best.

(I sometimes try to appease the Cloud Gods by sacrificing a chicken. They seem partial to Popeye's original with mustard sauce. YMMV)
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 am
turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:40 pm It'll soon get easier to me. The sky is getting so light, that soon the only object will be moon.

Without a filter (I don't have one), I bet it would be an unforgettable experience. :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 am

Without a filter (I don't have one), I bet it would be an unforgettable experience. :lol:
You can do projection. Making yourself a projection screen or funnel is a fun project.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/make-sun-funnel
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 pm 1. Look up forecasts for the best night of the week to observe.
2. Tell my wife ahead of time when I plan to go out.
3. Choose my targets for the night.
4. Research everything I can find on my targets for the night.
4a. Watch clouds roll in as I'm preparing to go out or drive out to dark site.
5. Flop down in front of tv.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

How do I plan my targets for each session? Well, I’ll tell you. I have a document I made on my computer, of all the Messier objects. 1 through 110. I write down if I photograph them, and if I didn’t photograph them, I try to go to them. I’m attaching a picture.
C9BF93B9-69BD-4E55-B19A-F591D5866582.jpeg
I also used to stellarium web, to see what is in the sky. Depending on the constellation, I either go for an object or I do not. It all depends on if it’s in the sky.

I’m actually planning out a session for tonight as we speak, so here’s an example.

Messier 26, open cluster in scutum, Magnitude 8.0

According to Stellariumweb, the open cluster should be in the sky tonight. I will try and get a photograph.

Another example, Messier 54 Globular cluster in Sagittarius, magnitude 8.4. Visible tonight.

I also go for planets when they are visible.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

There is no real planning involved. Ohio skies are generally cloudy and my sessions are more spur of the moment.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Spring through fall the skies here are fairly good but with work and a business viewing time is usually short.
I tend to put out a telescope and just wander instead of making a plan.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Over the past several years I have kept a log of all the objects that are viewable with my scope in each constellation. Each month I print a list of these objects that I have rated from 1 to 5. To be included on this monthly list the object must be remarkable or unique and be rated at least a 3. Most of the Messier objects on my lists are rated 4 or 5. A new list is generated each month as new constellations rise and others sink below the horizon. By the end of each month I will have tried to see every object on the list at least once. I have my favorites and since the number of nights with favorable viewing is limited, my favs get top priority. I update my lists after every session with updated descriptions and the time/date I viewed the object. Also I record each session with a small digital recorder and have totaled eight years of recordings so one day when I’m too old to observe I can sit and listen to my sessions and smile! :lol: :lol: Every month I look forward to a new updated observing list.
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

10538 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:20 am ...one day when I’m too old to observe...
There is no such thing! :D

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

My visual scope is only 12" so, with my patience, there are only about 10 objects worth looking at. A few times per year I get to look through other people's 20+ inchers at star parties and I'm happy to let them determine the objects.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:35 am My visual scope is only 12" so, with my patience, there are only about 10 objects worth looking at. A few times per year I get to look through other people's 20+ inchers at star parties and I'm happy to let them determine the objects.

"My visual scope is only 12" so, with my patience, there are only about 10 objects worth looking at."

Ten with a 12"!!!!!!
C'mon Henk.
You cannot be serious-500x500.jpg
Are you observing from LP zone?

As you know, I am a southern hemisphere observer but I could quickly rattle this list of quite bright objects straight off the top of my head.

Galaxies
M31, M33, NGC 253, Markarian Chain, Leo Triplet, M104, M31, M81, M51, M101

Globulars
M3, M2, M4, M5, M10, M13

Nebulae
M8, M20, M17, M16, M27, M45, M42, M78,

Planetaries
M57, Helix, Crab, Eskimo , Cats Eye, Saturn,

Planets
Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Ten with a 12"!!!!!!
C'mon Henk.
Bortle 5. I observe from my driveway because of the huge oak tree behind my house. Some of my neighbors have wrapped nets of Christmas LEDs around their trees and leave them turned on for much of the year. For me, visual observing should be in nature in some desolate place with the Milky Way clearly visible, with company, or else it's not much fun to begin with.

When I go to the Sierras there is a lot more to see; when I do that it's usually for AP though, so I will just use my 20x80s after starting an AP session and leave the 12" at home. There, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. In 10 to 20 minutes you can get a half-way decent image of most objects. It's a very different experience than from my driveway.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am As you know, I am a southern hemisphere observer but I could quickly rattle this list of quite bright objects straight off the top of my head.

Galaxies
For me just M31. I like M101 and M51 but they are barely visible. The rest is for 20+ Dobs because they are too small and/or too faint.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Globulars
M3, M2, M4, M5, M10, M13
Just M13. You see one, you've seen them all.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Nebulae
M42, M45, M8, M17, M16, M20, yes.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Planetaries
The planetaries are very faint in my Dob. I tried M57 but I can hardly see it.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Planets
The Moon is so bright that I avoid it. Jupiter and Saturn are nice, the rest are just dots. I observed Neptune once because it was mentioned in a local news outlet. The hunt was fun, it was a blue dot.

Altogether that's about 10 from my driveway in Bortle 5. It's not a lot indeed but I think many of us just look at about the same number except for a few diehard visual observers. I am content with visual observing once or twice a year. That is usually at a star party where there are large Dobs available.

I normally do AP. Until I built my observatory it was not much fun doing it from my driveway, also spending a lot of time on polar alignment and other set-up chores. Now, with my observatory it is much easier to get started, it feels much better and the results are much better.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:34 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Ten with a 12"!!!!!!
C'mon Henk.
Bortle 5. I observe from my driveway because of the huge oak tree behind my house. Some of my neighbors have wrapped nets of Christmas LEDs around their trees and leave them turned on for much of the year. For me, visual observing should be in nature in some desolate place with the Milky Way clearly visible, with company, or else it's not much fun to begin with.

When I go to the Sierras there is a lot more to see; when I do that it's usually for AP though, so I will just use my 20x80s after starting an AP session and leave the 12" at home. There, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. In 10 to 20 minutes you can get a half-way decent image of most objects. It's a very different experience than from my driveway.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am As you know, I am a southern hemisphere observer but I could quickly rattle this list of quite bright objects straight off the top of my head.

Galaxies
For me just M31. I like M101 and M51 but they are barely visible. The rest is for 20+ Dobs because they are too small and/or too faint.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Globulars
M3, M2, M4, M5, M10, M13
Just M13. You see one, you've seen them all.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Nebulae
M42, M45, M8, M17, M16, M20, yes.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Planetaries
The planetaries are very faint in my Dob. I tried M57 but I can hardly see it.
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am Planets
The Moon is so bright that I avoid it. Jupiter and Saturn are nice, the rest are just dots. I observed Neptune once because it was mentioned in a local news outlet. The hunt was fun, it was a blue dot.

Altogether that's about 10 from my driveway in Bortle 5. It's not a lot indeed but I think many of us just look at about the same number except for a few diehard visual observers. I am content with visual observing once or twice a year. That is usually at a star party where there are large Dobs available.

I normally do AP. Until I built my observatory it was not much fun doing it from my driveway, also spending a lot of time on polar alignment and other set-up chores. Now, with my observatory it is much easier to get started, it feels much better and the results are much better.
:crying-yellow:

I feel for you. When I purchased my home it was on the edge of town. My 1 acre backyard bordered a cornfield. That was my viewing sky. A few years later a local grocery story remodeled, enlarged, and covered their parking lot with new lighting. I could literally sit in my backyard at night and read books without a light. That, along with some eye problems, almost knocked me out of astronomy all together. For a time I spent as many weekends as possible camping in the back of my car at dark sky spots. I finally went to an old friend, who was a farmer, and worked out a deal that gave me the use of a small grassy section on his property to build my observatory and warm room. I remember the frustration of not being able to avoid city lights.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Since I've started spending more time observing doubles, I've been searching for a good target list - internet, books, atlases, SkySafari. It just dawned on me that I have a set of Burnham's from the late 70s sitting unused on my bookshelf. :grin: Tonight we'll see what Cassiopeia has to offer.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s