Video of Saturn

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Video of Saturn

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm I’m not expecting an award but I got so pumped just seeing Saturn & Jupiter last night !
I tried to capture Saturn thru my I phone a feeble attempt but it was FUN!
I actually made a video but I can’t seem to upload a video just stills🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi again Frank,

I meant to inform you before when you made this post about the video not being able to upload...
The only way to display video would be a link to Youtube or the like. For the forum, the server space and bandwidth used to host and display the video would be cost-prohibitive, believe me!

Hope that helps and all the best :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:21 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm I’m not expecting an award but I got so pumped just seeing Saturn & Jupiter last night !
I tried to capture Saturn thru my I phone a feeble attempt but it was FUN!
I actually made a video but I can’t seem to upload a video just stills🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi again Frank,

I meant to inform you before when you made this post about the video not being able to upload...
The only way to display video would be a link to Youtube or the like. For the forum, the server space and bandwidth used to host and display the video would be cost-prohibitive, believe me!

Hope that helps and all the best :D
Yes it does and Juno 16 Suggested google drive so I downloaded the app and the rest is history.
It wasn’t award winning but with just my new I phone 12 I thought I would give it a try it was FUN!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 pm Yes it does and Juno 16 Suggested google drive so I downloaded the app and the rest is history.
It wasn’t award winning but with just my new I phone 12 I thought I would give it a try it was FUN!

Doesn't have to award winning, it's the fun of it and seeing what you get out of it, good for you! It can actually get a little addictive even; I know... Makes you appreciate clear skies!

Hope tonight goes well for you :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:46 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 pm @Frankskywatcher
Thanks Frank!

Cool video!

I know that you are enjoying this hobby. I enjoy it very much too. My only regret is that I wish I had started before my 60’s!
Tell me about it my friend !
I’m 66 retired, I worked at an Ivy League University for 32 years .
I used to take my kids to open telescope nights at the University, I was always interested but living in light polluted skies.
When I moved to where I now live with no lights at night and dark skies I decided to buy a telescope BUT this Forum has put me light years ahead of where I would have been and I have been gifted things that helped me tremendously !
Hey Frank,

I will be 67 next month and I retired from Dupont QC lab. Quite a bit different from your work career, but it got the job done. I retired at 63 and wish that I had retired earlier. Retirement is a hard thing to do!

I started observing in 2016 when I saw a colleague at work looking at his phone app of the skies (Sky Guide). He showed me what what up there and I started to log satellite and space junk observations. Sky Guide is a really cool app and I still use it. I had a blast doing that usually after dusk and before dawn.

Then I bought a goto celestron 5" newt and I saw so many amazing things. I logged 93 Messier's from Bortle 7 skies with that scope and it was awesome. I would get up two hours before I had to leave for work to observe. It made for a nice day.

I saved about 2k$ of vacation money that I cashed in when I retired to start AP. I really wanted to see a better view of these amazing sights in the skies from my light polluted backyard.

I could see a smudge in the eyepiece visually, or spend an evening or two imaging the same object and see spectacular details. I was hooked!

Unfortunately, my skies are quite hit and miss. I haven't had good skies since May 28, but this is kind of unusual. I hope to get back out soon and capture some cool targets.

Take care sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:07 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:46 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 pm @Frankskywatcher
Thanks Frank!

Cool video!

I know that you are enjoying this hobby. I enjoy it very much too. My only regret is that I wish I had started before my 60’s!
Tell me about it my friend !
I’m 66 retired, I worked at an Ivy League University for 32 years .
I used to take my kids to open telescope nights at the University, I was always interested but living in light polluted skies.
When I moved to where I now live with no lights at night and dark skies I decided to buy a telescope BUT this Forum has put me light years ahead of where I would have been and I have been gifted things that helped me tremendously !
Hey Frank,

I will be 67 next month and I retired from Dupont QC lab. Quite a bit different from your work career, but it got the job done. I retired at 63 and wish that I had retired earlier. Retirement is a hard thing to do!

I started observing in 2016 when I saw a colleague at work looking at his phone app of the skies (Sky Guide). He showed me what what up there and I started to log satellite and space junk observations. Sky Guide is a really cool app and I still use it. I had a blast doing that usually after dusk and before dawn.

Then I bought a goto celestron 5" newt and I saw so many amazing things. I logged 93 Messier's from Bortle 7 skies with that scope and it was awesome. I would get up two hours before I had to leave for work to observe. It made for a nice day.

I saved about 2k$ of vacation money that I cashed in when I retired to start AP. I really wanted to see a better view of these amazing sights in the skies from my light polluted backyard.

I could see a smudge in the eyepiece visually, or spend an evening or two imaging the same object and see spectacular details. I was hooked!

Unfortunately, my skies are quite hit and miss. I haven't had good skies since May 28, but this is kind of unusual. I hope to get back out soon and capture some cool targets.

Take care sir!
Juno 16 thank you so much for responding to my post and my apologies for such a late reply somehow I missed your post.
I have always been interested in astronomy but had other hobbies as well ,amateur radio and the Scottish highland bagpipe and playing in a pipe and drum band.
The university that I worked at every Tuesday had open night at the observatory that was only two blocks from my house,I used to take my kids there.
Now that I’m retired and live out in the countryside here in South Carolina it didn’t take me long to get the urge to buy a telescope looking up at night.
I have Class4 Bortle skies and no street lights on my two Lane Highway out in the countryside.
I know one thing I would certainly not be enjoying this hobby as much if it was not for this Forum, between the guidance, friendliness, helpfulness and generosity of the members in this group.
As far as Astro photography I’m still having fun doing it old-school just looking at stuff, last night was Saturn the moon and Jupiter .
I hate to agree with you but I have to so because so many times I’ll see a smudge in the sky and no matter how much magnification I put on it ,it’s still a smudge, sometimes it’s an immense star cluster but other times I have a feeling it’s something that I just can’t see with my class 4 skies.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars