Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

A nice summer session

Post by davesellars »

My last night out with the telescope was a good few months ago... (actually, just checking it was mid-April!!!) having been plagued with a bad virus that took 6 weeks to recover from with a large project and doing my Masters assignment at the same time and then hitting straight into zero astro-dark in June, my astro-shennigans had been well and truly scuppered. So a lovely clear night on a Friday seemed a good opportunity to see what the sky had to offer.

It was a touch milky in areas with some very light high cloud about and we still only have astro-twilight level of darkness starting at around 11:20 which is when I set up with the 4" refractor on the Alt/Az mount...

The Moon was just coming up, but before it could spoil what darkness was was aI got round to some DSO observations...

After I'd aligned my finder on Arcturus, I veered a touch to the side to find M3 nearby - A nice bright glob to start the night.

M13 really showed very nicely with the 10mm Delos showing some good detail and resolution of the cluster.

At 12ish the ISS passed almost directly over us... I quickly got my Wife who loves seeing this and she came out just before it dissappeared... It was to come over again at 1:31am so made note and thought it would be fun to attempt to track it with the scope.

my main target for the evening was the Veil nebula in Cygnus... It's been many years since I last observed this, although the conditions were far from ideal, but it was worth a go... The Western Veil was only very subtle and a took a while for my eyes to really pick anything out, however going over to the Eastern Veil, this was much more apparent with a touch of detail of it with "hook" at the bottom. I went from the 17.3mm Delos to a 32mm Baader Plossl and also a cheap 25mm Plossl with the Astronomik OIII and also switched for the Baader OIII which had a narrower bandwith pass... I felt the Astronomik was more suitable for this aperture and couldn't see much difference from 25mm to 32mm Plossls, the brightness was definitely increased over the 17.3mm. The Western Veil always remaining almost out of sight.

After the Veil, I took a look at M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster. Always has been a favourite of mine and this was resolved well with the 5mm Pentax XW although with no doubt would be much better with the Moon out of play as some of the lower magnitude stars look like they had been washed out by the sky brightness that was ever more apparent. While in the area, moved down to the nearby globular cluster NGC 6712 however I could not see this despite definitely being in the right area. I haven't logged this one as previously observed either, so I've noted it to come back to on a better / darker evening.

A look now over to M31 and this was nicely shown along with M32 then shooting over to the Double Cluster which is a wonderful sight, whatever the Moonlight level.

The Moon now rising, along with Saturn just about rising sufficiently above a tree to be seen, however it was now 1:30 and time to see the ISS again, so my Wife came out again and we watched through the scope taking it in turns... It's fast!!! What a great sight though once you do get it, although very bright! She was really happy to have seen it like this and close up.

Then, Saturn - Also a long time since I'd last seen this and my Wife also stayed out to view this as she loves viewing the planets (as long as it's not freezing cold outside...). Despite still quite low down the air was reasonably stable and I was easily able to use the 7mm Pentax with a 2.2(ish)x Barlow for approx. 3.2mm and 225x magnification. The rings were wonderful and sharp with 3 of its Moons easily visible. I thought I could just about make out subtle difference in the planet surface. I packed up around 2:15am, very happy with the session and it just now starting to get a little chilly. Jupiter was still just too low down covered by a neighbour's large bush. I plan to make a an early morning session to view this soon (perhaps tonight!).
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A nice summer session

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a great session Dave with some very significant observations - such as M3 and the Wild Duck, but the icing on the cake is the Veil Nebula. Glad that you are feeling better as well. Congratulations on winning the TSS VROD award for the day.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Many thanks Michael!!! Yep, it was just really nice to get out again and enjoy the night sky. :)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. A very nice observing report from you. And you caught several nice jewels; M11, M31, M32, and the Eastern Veil Nebula in your session. And finishing up enjoying the Saturn views with your wife was a crowning touch for a great time under the skies. Thanks for your fun read and well written report Dave and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session with bits of everything Dave! Glad that you are feeling better!

Your sky should be pretty good. I can't see any nebulosity in Veils from home without filters.

Congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Thanks Marshall and Andrey!

I was using the OIII on the Veil nebula. I don't remember ever seeing it without a filter on.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

That was a great read Dave, nice that you got out after all this time! I'm trying to remember the last time my other half came out with me; good for you both :D

Thanks again and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session and read, Dave! Congrats on capturing the Veil...and of course the VRODl!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Sounds like a lovely evening, I haven't been out in many weeks myself.

Congratulations on the VROD Dave!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Congratulations on the VROD. You reminded me of the years before I retired when I was only able to get out a few nights with long stretches in between. It sounds like a great night. You are fortunate to have a wife that will miss sleep to come out and join you observing.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A great report Dave, and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice and lovely session with your refractor and great report too!
You picked some first prize Summer-objects ; M3, M11, M13, Andromeda Galaxy, NGC884 and 869, the Veil, ISS and Saturn. Quite satisfying!
They were all targets of mine too yesterday evening, before the Moon came to disturb the party. I agree with you on the subtle surface-details on Saturn. All in all a great sight and a nice summer session indeed! Congratulations on winning the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! Last night was pretty much clouded out unfortunately... Hopefully tonight (it's going to be a balmy warm night as well...)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts