Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

My Thursday

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey everyone, hope life is good :D

I wasn't too sure where to put this, more pics than anything. Still, it was an astronomical day...

Most days I'm up at about 3-4AM and on the road by 5AM at the latest. I'm fine with 4-5 hours of sleep a night, though I don't bounce out of bed like I used to. Who of us does? :lol:

Last night was the largest "Supermoon" of the year; the Buck Moon. It was low in the south when I got up. However, when I was heading west at 5:30ish AM down the 401 (Trans-Canada highway and just past Yonge St), I saw ol' Luna on the horizon.

At first I thought it was somehow the glare from another vehicle... Then when I realised what it was, it seriously looked about 5 times the size of the "normal" Moon.
Atmospheric conditions (very damp out and it was 14C/57F) with a rising Sun behind me are so good at doing that optical image :D

Of course, the camera lens shows what our eyes get so wrong:

Moon_07-14-22_545AM-s.jpg
Moon_07-14-22_545AM-s1.jpg

I spent the morning in southern Ontario's tricity area; Cambridge, Kitchener and Waterloo. Finished off at a bit after 11AM, and made the 2 hour drive home. It was still somewhat hazy when I got in, but it was, in my mind, clear enough for me to want to take out my 80mm for some solar.

I did so, with some Baader 3.8OD photographic solar film, Solar Continuum filter and UV/IR cut filter behind that.

Sun_07-14-2022s.jpg

Annotations:

Sun_07-14-2022a.jpg

Full size image here

It was a nice day, and the early Lunar and later Solar gave it that little extra.

The Sun is really taking off with Solar Cycle 25. Do yourself a favour, get some Solar film for your scope and take a look and even photograph our star!

Thanks for reading/looking; I hope it wasn't too painful :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My Thursday

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Pictures of the sun always intrigue me are the “ cooler” spots sun flares ?
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice pic Mark.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. A very nice set of lunar and solar images from you. And that new active region on the left, as you would expect, is now officially AR3058. Thanks for sharing your work/astronomy day adventures with us Mark and keep looking up (but watch out for the traffic too :))
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thank you for the report.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Very nice sessions! Thanks for sharing your day's activities!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Nice pictures Mark, to cloudy to see the Moon here unfortunately.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice report and pics Mark! 5 to 11 am workday sounds nice. You beat all the traffic and get home for breakfast. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:19 am Pictures of the sun always intrigue me are the “ cooler” spots sun flares ?

Hi Frank, well, I could put it into my own words, but I think this short description from Wikipedia says it better than I could:

Sunspots are phenomena on the Sun's photosphere that appear as temporary spots that are darker than the surrounding areas.
They are regions of reduced surface temperature caused by concentrations of magnetic flux that inhibit convection.

Flares off the limb can't be seen with a white-light filter; that requires a HA scope, which requires much $$$ :lol:

Hope that helped!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Painful??? What??? Your images are beautiful Mark! Thanya bunch for sharing them here!
Raining here (again) . We are certainly in a weather slump here. I haven’t been out since May.
I did enjoy setting up new cable management for both scopes and set my HEQ5 and Sharpstar in my living room yesterday to rough focus my new guide camera (ASI120mm mini). Now, all that I need to swap out is the only camera that I have (ASI533). I actually had a great time messing with the new guide camera! You’ve got a find fun where you can!

Thanks again for the great images Mark. Keep them coming!

The pup is great! Two more weeks with her. Jack is a super big brother!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:55 pm Painful??? What??? Your images are beautiful Mark! Thanya bunch for sharing them here!
Raining here (again) . We are certainly in a weather slump here. I haven’t been out since May.
I did enjoy setting up new cable management for both scopes and set my HEQ5 and Sharpstar in my living room yesterday to rough focus my new guide camera (ASI120mm mini). Now, all that I need to swap out is the only camera that I have (ASI533). I actually had a great time messing with the new guide camera! You’ve got a find fun where you can!

Thanks again for the great images Mark. Keep them coming!

The pup is great! Two more weeks with her. Jack is a super big brother!

Hi Jim, good to hear from you! Since May, really? Well, at least you seem to be all set up; hope it clears for you soon. I always enjoy your images :D

Glad to hear the puppy is well and I hope she finds her forever home. And of course Jack is a super big brother, he's got you for an owner.

Here's hoping your weather improves!

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC