Long Shot Question

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Long Shot Question

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi guys,

I have a long shot question.

I happened to be on Stellariumweb, Planning my night to see C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS comets closest approach to earth on July 13th. While zooming in to accommodate my true FOV, I noticed this:
C 2017 K2 Comet Coordinates 07102022.png
As you can see, the comet is close to the M10 Globular Cluster.

I have already got a picture of M10, right here:
M10 Globular Cluster E.jpg
Here is my long shot question. Do you think I can capture BOTH M10 AND C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS in the same field of view on July 13th?

Just curious. Like I said, its a long shot question.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Long Shot Question

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I use Cartes du Ciel and it has a function that allows you to step forward in time so that you can determine such happy coincidences using the SW. Probably Stellarium has a similar function.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

PS Cartes du Ciel seems to indicate that a 5 degree FOV is needed (or better) for this to work in 3 or 4 days.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Go to this website and plug in all of your gears data along with the object you want to view and it will show you how big or small your field of view is. I use this site all the time, it is invaluable.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks so much for the help and getting back.

I just saw that on that night, there’s going to be a full moon. Unfortunately, due to the full moon location, I may not be able to see the comet that night. I’ll give it a try, but I don’t know if I’ll see it.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I've never used StellariumWeb so I checked it out real quick. I noticed if you create an account and sign in, it allows you to simulate your equipment views. That's your best chance of really knowing.
If I were to guess, just by judging the one picture you shared, I think c/2017 K2 is going to be a bit outside your field of view. Maybe with a low-power eyepiece, you might be able to see them both.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

They are 0.5 deg from each other at 10:00 UT on July 15.

You didn't say what equipment you are using so nobody on TSS can answer your question, psychics excepted. :lol:
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

The equipment is in my signature.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I just double checked what you said on Stellariumweb, and you are right. I should be able to capture them together on the 15th based on my equipment and the math I did for my FOV.

I’ll keep my expectations low, though.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

OK, guys. I answered my own question.
D141B5C4-D6B1-4AE2-BB92-171053EA70C6.jpeg
This is C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS. I took this picture tonight.
D684CACC-A097-44D2-9974-E125EE4DA5A6.jpeg
This is M10, the Globular Cluster. I took this picture tonight also. Both are close, but not the same FOV.

HOWEVER, thanks the Stellariumweb, I have confirmed that tomorrow, and on the 15th, with the eyepiece that I used tonight, I should be able to catch both in the same field of view. I compared the stars on the chart and in the eyepiece to confirm this.

I have two chances.

Here’s hoping for clear skies tomorrow and on the 15th.

I’ll start a new thread with a photo if I get it. I will keep you up-to-date.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead