First Star Party in a long time...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First Star Party in a long time...

Post by ewomack »

Many of you encouraged me to attend a local astronomy club event to learn more from others. I did just that last night.

A local astronomy club had a "beginner's night" and over 100 people attended wielding all types and sizes of telescopes from long refractors, to cannon-like reflectors, and plenty of Schmidt-Cassegrains thrown in. I saw M27 through the organizer's Astro-Physics 130 GTX refractor and I looked all over the sky with my binoculars. The very bright moon illuminated the sky and a number of the constellations that I hoped to see ended up obscured by the light. One of the event's greeters estimated the site's Bortle brightness at around 6 or 7, so the sky probably only qualified as "semi-dark." I'll be curious to see what the site offers without the glaring moon.

Still, for the first time I looked up at the sky and had a general idea of what I saw. The four or so books I've read paid off in the field. I "arced to Arcturus and spiked to Spica," located Vega and Polaris and gazed at many bright moon craters. I hoped to see more, but I'm glad that I went and I plan on attending future meetings.

A mobile phone camera obviously doesn't capture the sharp detail of the view from the 25x70's lenses (which may have been a little out of focus below). Nonetheless, the views of the moon through those binoculars was completely amazing. Copernicus and Tycho just blared out as well as the Sinus Iridum and numerous other craters and sites. A lot of moon gazing occurred.
Moon01.png
Moon2.png
And I think I captured the spirit of the event with this photo :D
IMG_1048.JPG
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First Star Party in a long time...

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done! 100 people, that's a lot! Still you have managed to test out a nice refractor and this kind of experience is available only through star parties.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's awesome! Sounds like a great night, and I love your enthusiasm. Been there for sure... Great pics as well :D

Nice way to try out different scopes and eyepieces too; any thoughts on what you prefer?

Glad yo had fun and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great experience! Over the years I've learned much attending star parties, including the opportunity to view through some incredible optics!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like it was a great evening!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N