What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:20 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:19 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Gaaack! So pneumonia is what you've been up to? Grim. Get well soon.
Not yet clear. The doctors would have recognized pneumonia already, I think.
I hope to know more on Wednesday.
Today it became clear that there's a tumor in my left lung. My right lung is fine.
The kind of the tumor is not yet clear.
Sorry to hear of this Juha, hoping for the best.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully a good outcome Juha!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:54 am Dear Juha,

I am so very very sorry and sad to hear that. My dad was diagnosed with lung tumours in 2004. His was much more advanced than yours sounds. He had one large primary tumour (12cm) in his right lung and 12 secondary tumours 5cm each across both lungs.

Even back then, advances in treatments were made every year and they kept changing treatments to adapt to and control his tumours. He died 7 years later. Because my mum had died the year before, he gave up on living and stopped medication and treatment otherwise I suspect he could have continued for many more years. I hope yours has been caught at a much earlier stage. Given the accelerating rate of advances we were seeing during the 7 years of his illness, I am sure that treatments have advanced much much further in the past 11 years since dad died.

My very best wishes.

Joe
Thank you. This sounds comforting.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I spent the day watching my grandson's riding competition.

Dave
0624221623a.jpg
0625221601.jpg
Last edited by Unitron48 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
astrowolf67 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrowolf67 »

Here lately, I've been fiddling with my N scale trains again. Yesterday, I received a GSO dual speed focuser upgrade from Agena, for my Apertura 6" f5. I got it installed and tuned up, only to have clouds move in, and thunderstorms this morning. We've also been house shopping, which seems to be taking up most of our free time, and my mind. Never knew it could be so hectic and stressful. The local market is CRAZY right now. But, I think we've found one we both love, that will fit our needs and wants, with room to enjoy our hobbies and life. We are planning to put an offer in tomorrow, and see what happens.
David
Celestron 8" Starhopper Dob, Meade Starfinder EQ 8", Apertura 6" F/5, Meade 114NT, Edmund Astroscan, ES AR102, Sky Watcher 102mm Mak, ETX 80, ETX 60, Orion ST80, Sears Discoverer 4 6333a, Meade LXD75, ES Twilight 1, Star Adventurer 2i
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

astrowolf67 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:56 pm Here lately, I've been fiddling with my N scale trains again. Yesterday, I received a GSO dual speed focuser upgrade from Agena, for my Apertura 6" f5. I got it installed and tuned up, only to have clouds move in, and thunderstorms this morning. We've also been house shopping, which seems to be taking up most of our free time, and my mind. Never knew it could be so hectic and stressful. The local market is CRAZY right now. But, I think we've found one we both love, that will fit our needs and wants, with room to enjoy our hobbies and life. We are planning to put an offer in tomorrow, and see what happens.
Good luck with the house!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Drove back from the Grand Canyon, Kaibab Lodge yesterday. It was 9:30 hours of driving interrupted by an ad hoc fix with packing tape, from the Dollar store in Fredonia, of my driver side window that somehow disengaged and started sagging down and outside. I pulled it up into the window socket and taped it down over the door so I could make it home safely.

Along the way the temperature went up to 109 degrees F. I wonder how people manage to live this time of year in places like Vegas, Baker, Barstow, Victorville, Palmdale, Lancaster. I suppose you can use solar power for air conditioning. There are gigantic solar plants along the way in the desert. Water will be a major problem, like now with filling Lake Mead already. It's a major challenge with no small fix for the coming years.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:17 pm I spent the day watching my grandsons riding competition.
Very cool. My granddaughter rides English but she's taking a break from lessons for awhile. I think I'm more bummed out by that than she is.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

We have officially made the decision to move back to NJ.
It won't be a rush job, so we have plenty of time to get this place ready for sale. Wifey wants to retire at the end of this year.

While NJ isn't known for dark skies, I well be going from Bortle 7 to a 5, so I am happy 😁
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

7 to 5 is good.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I had a go at creating an astronomy quiz for the TSS quiz forum but only 4 people have tried it.

This is the link: give it a go?
https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 94#p206567

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm finding SkySafari 7 object coords difficult to read on my new phone, so as much as I dislike the idea of using a laptop while observing, I'm going to try running Stellarium in night mode on my laptop scopeside. Oh, the horror... the horror...
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:33 pm Due to popular demand I am extending my stay in SLC. Ordered new glass, the Antares Ultima pseudo-Masuyama from TS.
An update. There were some details of my order with TS that weren't right (shipping and billing addresses swapped) so I fixed that. Also my grandson impressed me with his skills with observing with the Orion Observer II refractor package I decided an upgrade was in order. The winds from Mt Olympus are problematic so I thought that a shorter profile scope would be less frustrating,

https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope

Also, due to @Gmetric suggestion, I've been working away at a quantum gravity post. It's almost ready to share. In response I've opened up a new research notebook too. I think I am likely to old and rusty to do the maths but it should be another fun hobby. :shrug:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Just got back from my second eye surgery for my left eye. A few days of discomfort then I should be good to go.

Already a vast improvement with my right eye. Probably wont even need glasses anymore! :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:39 pm Just got back from my second eye surgery for my left eye. A few days of discomfort then I should be good to go.
Already a vast improvement with my right eye. Probably wont even need glasses anymore! :)
Had mine done back in 2012 on both eyes. Dr visit last month still shows I have 20/20 in right eye and 20/15 in left,
which he said was amazing being nothing has changed in 10 years.
Use readers for close up stuff. Other than that, no problems.
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Lawn care, gardening, chopping back invasive plant growth that's been climbing over our privacy fence.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

On Sunday, helped plant over 3000 plants for a newly declared National Park which had been used for grazing. Only 87000 to go! ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Had to get my ride inspected for a recall notice. It passed but the dealer will replace the suspect part regardless at the next service, no charge.
I used the trip as an excuse to visit a used book store a few blocks from the dealer and I scored a paperback copy of this:
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:41 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:33 pm Due to popular demand I am extending my stay in SLC. Ordered new glass, the Antares Ultima pseudo-Masuyama from TS.
An update. There were some details of my order with TS that weren't right (shipping and billing addresses swapped) so I fixed that. Also my grandson impressed me with his skills with observing with the Orion Observer II refractor package I decided an upgrade was in order. The winds from Mt Olympus are problematic so I thought that a shorter profile scope would be less frustrating,

https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope

Also, due to @Gmetric suggestion, I've been working away at a quantum gravity post. It's almost ready to share. In response I've opened up a new research notebook too. I think I am likely to old and rusty to do the maths but it should be another fun hobby. :shrug:
A further update. The Astronomers Without Borders scope has been received and my grandson is delighted with it during a daytime first light. Today we finished modifications per this video:

He is even more pleased. We hope the weather holds fair for a few days so a proper first light can be done.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

We spent the weekend with my brother and his wife riding Steam at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union Illinois.

It is always a pleasure to be 8 years old again. 🙂
Attachments
IRM Steam_remastered.jpg
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"