Ursa Major, Booties and the comet

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Ursa Major, Booties and the comet

Post by Bigzmey »

6/25/2022

Equipment: Celestron 9.25” Edge HD SCT and Celestron 150ST achro on SW SkyTee 2 manual AltAz mount. Pentax XW/ TV Panoptic EPs.

The summer is in full swing with day temperatures in upper 30s C (100s F). The nights are still pleasantly cool though, and dry cloudless weather helps with transparency. This weekend the sky at Anza approached Bortle 3 with Milky Way bright, well-structured, spanning entire sky from Cassiopeia to Scorpius. Eyes were naturally attracted to the riches of the southern Sagittarius/Scorpius area, but as a true galaxy hinter I have turned my back on them (literally :)) and focused on the northern area with treasure trove of galaxies. I did make a few breaks from EP this evening to leisurely walk naked eye along the Summer Milky Way. There might have been marine layer to the west blocking some of the light pollution from light domes of San Diego and Los Angeles, as the sky was of that rare quality where familiar constellation asterisms are harder to recognize among background stars.

21:45. A drawback of summer is that it gets dark late. I was impatiently waiting, and the moment Milky Way started to appear I have jumped on my first target.

Ursa Major galaxies (all observed with 9.25” Edge).

NGC 3838 – small, elongated oval (118x, 168x).
NGC 3846 and NGC 3850 – two small faint ovals in the same FOV (118x).
NGC 3888 – larger wide oval with brighter central area (118x).
NGC 3870 – small round disk (118x).
NGC 3891 – small round disk with compact core (118x).

NGC 3897 – small AV round disk. Bright star in the FOV makes detection difficult (168x).
NGC 3906 – small faint oval (168x).
NGC 3928 – small wide oval with compact core (168x).
NGC 3921 – narrow oval (168x).
NGC 3916 and NGC 3913 – two vary faint ovals in the same FOV with NGC 3921, detected with AV by moving EP (168x).

NGC 3922 (aka NGC 3924) – faint narrow AV oval (118x).
NGC 4801 – extremely faint glow detected with AV by moving EP (168x).
NGC 4732 – small extremely faint AV spot (118x).
NGC 4644 – very faint narrow oval with AV (118x).
NGC 4646 – small narrow lens with brighter central area (168x).

23:30. Ursa Major was sinking closer to the Los Angeles light dome in the north-west. I have switched to Booties which was still in the darker portion of the sky

Booties galaxies (all observed with 9.25” Edge).

NGC 5859 – sharp edge-on (118x, 168x).
NGC 5857 – small narrow oval next to NGC 5859 (118x, 168x).
NGC 5888 – narrow oval (118x).
NGC 5886 – smaller wide oval in the same FOV with NGC 5888 (118x).
NGC 5900 – very faint glow, detected with AV by moving EP (118x).
NGC 5893 – small round disk with AV (168x).

0:00. My last target for the evening was

C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) comet in Ophiuchus. I used both scopes, 6” Achro and 9.25” Edge, and at all powers between 28x and 118x it was easy to spot and looked nice. Different resources list current magnitude between 7.3 and 9.2. It was definitely brighter than 9.2, I would estimate ~8. The best view was achieved with 9.25” Edge at 118x. Very bright compact nucleus somewhat off center within the large (~5’) wide oval coma. Coma brightness gradually increased from the edge to the center. I have not detected any hints of tail.

The comet is getting brighter and should be easy to spot with wide range of scopes and binoculars. Highly recommend!

I leave you with pics of another cacti species in bloom from the Anza Desert.
Anza cacti 062522 B.jpg
Anza cacti 062522 A.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Ursa Major, Booties and the comet

Post by kt4hx »

Outstanding as always Andrey! The narrative and images from Anza are always a treat. Your comments about the beauty of the Sagittarius/Scorpius region and the summer MW plane in general, and how you quite literally turned your back on them in pursuit of galaxies brought a large smile to my face!. You're a man truly after my own passions as you well know. :) I feel many likely have at least some difficulty understanding our deep passion for galaxy hunting. I get that, because let's face it, many look similar through our scopes. They typically are not bright and flashy, and frankly many are extremely difficult visual targets. But that desire to pursue galaxies runs much deeper than mere visual appearance. It is the thrill of the hunt and the elation when it is successful. It is also about observing with the mind, contemplating the vast gulf of time and distance that feeble light took to arrive at our eye in that given moment - the vastness of the universe. While we both do observe other things, we are constantly pulled back to pursue those dim denizens of the deep sky. Well done my friend. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm Outstanding as always Andrey! The narrative and images from Anza are always a treat. Your comments about the beauty of the Sagittarius/Scorpius region and the summer MW plane in general, and how you quite literally turned your back on them in pursuit of galaxies brought a large smile to my face!. You're a man truly after my own passions as you well know. :) I feel many likely have at least some difficulty understanding our deep passion for galaxy hunting. I get that, because let's face it, many look similar through our scopes. They typically are not bright and flashy, and frankly many are extremely difficult visual targets. But that desire to pursue galaxies runs much deeper than mere visual appearance. It is the thrill of the hunt and the elation when it is successful. It is also about observing with the mind, contemplating the vast gulf of time and distance that feeble light took to arrive at our eye in that given moment - the vastness of the universe. While we both do observe other things, we are constantly pulled back to pursue those dim denizens of the deep sky. Well done my friend. :)
Thanks Alan! Every summer I plan to spend some time observing nebulae and clusters along the Milky Way, but somehow always end up chasing galaxies. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm Outstanding as always Andrey! The narrative and images from Anza are always a treat. Your comments about the beauty of the Sagittarius/Scorpius region and the summer MW plane in general, and how you quite literally turned your back on them in pursuit of galaxies brought a large smile to my face!. You're a man truly after my own passions as you well know. :) I feel many likely have at least some difficulty understanding our deep passion for galaxy hunting. I get that, because let's face it, many look similar through our scopes. They typically are not bright and flashy, and frankly many are extremely difficult visual targets. But that desire to pursue galaxies runs much deeper than mere visual appearance. It is the thrill of the hunt and the elation when it is successful. It is also about observing with the mind, contemplating the vast gulf of time and distance that feeble light took to arrive at our eye in that given moment - the vastness of the universe. While we both do observe other things, we are constantly pulled back to pursue those dim denizens of the deep sky. Well done my friend. :)
Thanks Alan! Every summer I plan to spend some time observing nebulae and clusters along the Milky Way, but somehow always end up chasing galaxies. :lol:

Hey, I find no fault with that! ;)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

That was a great report my friend !
I have to admit I’m in a pretty good spot as far as light pollution compared to others but I’m getting green with envy with some of you guys,that desert shot looks like you are out in the middle of nowhere lol.
Did I tell you that I lived in Tucson AZ for awhile when I was younger ?
I will never forget going out into the desert at night with friends and the amount of stars,like nowhere else that I’ve ever been .
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. Another enjoyable observing session from your Anza Desert site. A very nice list of NGC objects found in Ursa Major and Bootes and topped off with catching C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) comet in Ophiuchus. Thanks for another great report with excellent descriptions Andrey and also the beautiful cacti species in bloom photographs.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the fabulous report Andrey, your excellent descriptions, and beautiful cacti images. Congratulations on winning the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 am That was a great report my friend !
I have to admit I’m in a pretty good spot as far as light pollution compared to others but I’m getting green with envy with some of you guys,that desert shot looks like you are out in the middle of nowhere lol.
Did I tell you that I lived in Tucson AZ for awhile when I was younger ?
I will never forget going out into the desert at night with friends and the amount of stars,like nowhere else that I’ve ever been .
Thanks Frank! We lived in Tucson for a few months in 1997 when I was doing training at ASU. This is a fun place to be if you are outdoorsy type. We still remember wonderful sunsets, giant cacti, crazy monsoon showers and starry nights. I would just open the bedroom window stick my scope out and start observing. :)
Makuser wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 am Hi Andrey. Another enjoyable observing session from your Anza Desert site. A very nice list of NGC objects found in Ursa Major and Bootes and topped off with catching C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) comet in Ophiuchus. Thanks for another great report with excellent descriptions Andrey and also the beautiful cacti species in bloom photographs.
Thanks Marshall! When I was a kid I only saw cacti on windowsill in pots and in Westerns. :) It still feels wonderfully weird to me to see them in the wild.
helicon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 pm Thanks for the fabulous report Andrey, your excellent descriptions, and beautiful cacti images. Congratulations on winning the VROD for the day!
Thanks Michael, much appreciated!

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great desert report again!
How far away are you from Los Angeles?
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Baars wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:31 pm Great desert report again!
How far away are you from Los Angeles?
Thanks John! Anza is about 100 ml (160 km) from downtown Los Angeles as the crow flies. But depending on where you are in LA it could easily take a few hours to get there. Why? Are you coming to LA anytime soon? :D

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session, nice pics...and congrats on the comet capture and VROD recognition!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:56 pm Nice session, nice pics...and congrats on the comet capture and VROD recognition!

Dave
Thanks Dave!

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A very appropriate VROD my friend.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
No, I am not coming to LA :D
Anza seems better to me.
Just wanted to know from how far you could see the light domes of those cities. 100 miles is quite a bit! To what altitude do they reach?

[ Off topic on ]

The public observatory I am boardmember of , lies in Rijswijk, on top of a 45 m high building. Right between two big cities and the big harbour of Rotterdam / Rijnmond.

By day:
SSR Foto W.Groen.jpg
Looks nice, doesn't it?

Horror-view from the roof by night:
Lichtvervuiling vanaf Sterrenwacht Rijswijk foto Wim Pont (500x333).jpg
When the observatory was built 50 years ago, in the 1970-ties, the horizon was as good as dark.

[ Off topic off ]
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Baars wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:38 am Congratulations on the VROD!
No, I am not coming to LA :D
Anza seems better to me.
Just wanted to know from how far you could see the light domes of those cities. 100 miles is quite a bit! To what altitude do they reach?

[ Off topic on ]

The public observatory I am boardmember of , lies in Rijswijk, on top of a 45 m high building. Right between two big cities and the big harbour of Rotterdam / Rijnmond.

By day:

SSR Foto W.Groen.jpg

Looks nice, doesn't it?

Horror-view from the roof by night:

Lichtvervuiling vanaf Sterrenwacht Rijswijk foto Wim Pont (500x333).jpg

When the observatory was built 50 years ago, in the 1970-ties, the horizon was as good as dark.

[ Off topic off ]
That's a nice place to have observatory. :lol:

My turn to share horror pics. :) White cross mark my Anza observing spot. It is not bad, south-eastern half is dark and on a good night I can pick galaxies right above horizon in that direction. North-western half is compromised by light domes. On a bad night they can extend up to 30 degrees. Above 30 degrees is generally dark enough for hunting faint galaxies. There are a couple of great nights per year when marine layer to the west blocks most of the pollution, then the sky is really magnificent.
Anza LP.jpg