Observing Report for 23 June 2022 - galaxies galore (Part 2)

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 23 June 2022 - galaxies galore (Part 2)

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 pm

I would be lying if I didn’t say I was jealous.
I live on a county road with no lights on the way out of town.
A few neighbors have their home outside lights on but that’s about it however I never see what you posted .
I can see star clusters but I only have three lens and no matter what magnification I use the view of the image never changes 🤷🏼‍♂️
I added my area’s light situation and I have a 10” dob
I had to edit this post as I just noticed you have a call sign !👏🏻
My call is WR1R punched my ticket in in 89
Frank, other than clouds and rain your sky looks pretty good. With your 10" DOB you should be able to see tons of stuff. Astronomy is an acquired skill. It takes time and patience. Start with easy targets and add challenge bit by bit. Your learn as you go and never stop learning.
I could not agree more,every time that I roll that thing out of my garage I’m amazed!
The only thing that puzzles me is like what I stated earlier.
I can see the star cluster’s, I’m trying to follow them (star hop) on the planisphere but once I find them no degree magnification can bring them up to a “ better” image that’s a little frustrating.
However that being said I absolutely love going out at night and finding new things!
I’ve been really busy with that whole backyard pool thing in fact I’m laying on my bed on a heating pad right now I’ve been down for 5 days ( bad back) but the good thing is it’s overcast and raining on and off so I don’t feel too bad😁
I hope you back get better soon Frank! When doing work around the house I have to remind myself to not overdo it. We are not 20 anymore and one wrong move can take you out of commission for weeks. :lol:

Thinking about clusters and powers you might be on something there. 10" DOB has focal length of 1200mm, so 2" 30mm EP supplied with the scope will deliver 40x power and 1.7 degree true field of view (TFV). This would get you the best view for many brighter open clusters (like M39 in Cyg) which tends to be large with stars scuttered. Cranking up the power may not resolve additional details but simply stretch the view so it is harder to perceive it as a cluster. On the other hand if you are looking at globular clusters (like M3 in CVn), they are typically smaller and densely packed. They look as unresolved snow globs at low powers and to resolve individual stars one need to go to higher powers. Finding the best view for each target takes some experimenting, but it is a part of the fun.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Yes my friend I think you have ESP because that’s exactly it ,some clusters look like a diffuse snowball and I try to switch to the higher powers EP’s that I have, one that MacUser gave me and the 9 MM EP that came with the scope.
It still is so much fun just the fact that I find them is amazing to me lol
Attachments
8C55B1F1-4B91-4DD1-9B1C-F83B12BEA68B.jpeg
B84E31F4-A060-47A3-91AB-60BA3F52B906.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Good luck with your back Frank. That stuff is no joke and no fun! I've been there and have some back issues that nag me from time to time.

If you are using a planisphere (the star wheel) as your guide, you may want to consider something a bit more robust. I know many folks like to take a laptop or tablet to the field and use something like Sky Safari. I prefer to do without electronics other than a red light to read my atlases. I can strongly recommend the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA) as a great field atlas. I always have one with me when I have a scope out. Plus at the dark site (where I am at this moment) I also use the Uranometria All-Sky Edition atlas which plots deeper. SInce I am using 17.5 inches over here under the darker country skies, it does help in identifying objects that do not appear in the IDSA.

The AD10 you have is a fine scope. I am not sure of what eyepieces you have, but increases in magnification should most certainly change the view. If you share some objects that you have observed and what you saw with them, then I am certain you will get some guidance on what is going on. Keep working at it - back permitting of course.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)