Let's see your reports!
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report June 28/29, 2022

Post by jrkirkham »

I arrived at the observatory about 3:00 pm to set up for the night and do some work. I installed a small "Danger Radiation" sign that was given to me by a friend.

My observatory has some limitations and benefits compared to other observatories. I gave a key to my brother and to my landlord, who is one of my closest friends. Since they are not as much of a geek as I am the observatory is slightly more Spartan. I keep the telescope in hibernation mode so they can use it with the flick of a switch. That limits my photography capabilities, but I don't mind. I also installed a set of bunk beds and extra cot, should grandkids or children want to "go camping" for the night. I can sleep up to 5 before I have to bring out a camper. This year I added a fire ring and always have some folding chairs set up with some snacks ready. On this particular evening three guests showed up. The first one came about 5:00 before dusk and the last one left about midnight. A fourth guest was scheduled for the night, but he didn't show up. This was to be a retired man with a new telescope that he didn't know how to use. Two of my former students (brothers), both in their 20s, just lost their father in a bicycling accident. They are both physics students and are planning to use the observatory as a place of retreat while they wrestle with their loss. One is now at the University of Chicago and the other is at West Point. The observatory will make a quiet spot when they are home from school. Both know how to handle the equipment.

My main target for the night was Saturn. It was just climbing high enough for good views at midnight. My goal was to focus on the belts and zones. I have never paid much attention to the surface before. I started viewing at 70x and kept adding power on the C11 until I reached 560x. I couldn't get any clear views, even though seeing and transparency were both excellent. I took a break at 1:30 to let the planet get a little higher in the sky. By 3:00 I was back. Letting the planet climb higher in the sky made a huge difference, I managed to grab a picture at about 4:15 am. It isn't anything special and I don't know how well I have the features labeled, but it was a fun night.

During the night I kept thinking how fortunate I am to have such a unique spot in my little corner of the universe.

:confusion-seeingstars:
Attachments
Saturn 29 June 2022 labels.jpg
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report June 28/29, 2022

Post by Makuser »

Hello Rob. An excellent report and a great read too sharing astronomy with friends. And, your Saturn image with the C11 is very nice (sometimes it pays to just wait and see what the higher elevation does). Thanks for taking the time to put this up on here for us to enjoy Rob and I hope that you get more opportunities like this at your observatory again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report June 28/29, 2022

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice report Rob! It is great that you be able to share your hobby and observatory with family and friends.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257