Observing Report for 23 June 2022 - galaxies galore (Part 1)

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 23 June 2022 - galaxies galore (Part 1)

Post by kt4hx »

The stage was set for my next round of galaxy hunting at our dark site house. The moon had finally moved out of the pre-midnight sky, and a cold front had passed through the previous day dumping an ample supply of rain. This bode well for the next evening with the promise of very good transparency and steadier seeing – a combination we don’t see here regularly.

Despite the gas prices I made the one night trek over to our other place, arriving around 1900 hours. I also carried some Lantana to repot on the front porch of that house. Because of the proliferation of deer in the area we had to find plants that they do not like. Lantana is one of our favorite annual plants as they attract butterflies and can be quite stunning. We have had success with the Lantana there since we know the deer will not eat them down to a nub! That area in the Allegheny Mountains near the West Virginia border typically receives ample rain to keep them watered during the summer months, and of course copious amounts of dew are also normal as the night air frequently cools into the low 60’s to mid 50’s. A more extreme example of how it can chill down during the summer months at the elevation there (nearly 2,800 ft) was one July evening a few years back. I knew it was getting a wee bit chilly out, but was surprised when I came back in around 0200 and found it had dropped to 39° F. That was of course atypical, but just shows it can cool down there during the summer after a cold front has passed.

Anyway, the plan for this outing was partially inspired by Andrey (Bigzmey) and his recent report of observing NGC 3733 in Ursa Major. Unfortunately the bowl of the dipper quickly drops below the trees behind the house so I actually had to begin before true astronomical darkness, which was to come at 2243 hours. So I went out just after 2200 hours to settle in at my table and look around the sky as I leaned back in my chair. At 2220 I decided to give it a go and aimed the scope at Phad at the southeast corner of the dipper’s bowl and quickly acquired mag 5.6 HD 100615 to look for my first target, the low surface brightness barred spiral NGC 3733. I previously thought I’d observed this slender stick of light, but in checking my log I found that it was absent, so it would be my first port of call for the evening. Then I would work on a few nearby galaxies until it became fully dark then head into Libra to hunt a few galaxies before finishing up the evening in Bootes to log some more of the vast number of galaxies in that constellation.

All in all it was a cool evening out, requiring a light jacket. The sky was clear, the lightening bugs were all around me blinking and it was a fine night to be out under a dark country sky. I saw perhaps half a dozen dim satellites pass through my field of view while observing galaxies, which adds a curious dynamic. Plus this time of year, I get the odd lightening bug flashing right in front of the scope while I am peering through the eyepiece. That can be a bit startling, but in a nice way, as nature is simply doing its thing all around you, while you soak in the beauty of the night sky. It was simply a beautiful evening to experience.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

NGC 3733 (Ursa Major, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=4.9’x2.2, SBr=14.7):
The dipper was sinking fast behind the trees so at 2220 (pre-astro dark) I aimed the scope at Phad (Gamma UMa) and quickly nudged to HD 100615 to look for this very low surface brightness galaxy. Studying the field immediately north of the star (mag 5.6) and well within its glare field, I could just make out the elongated very subtle glow of the galaxy at 152x. It was a ghostly apparition with direct vision, and averted vision boosted its presence. Going to 199x the galaxy’s thin disk was easier to pick up but the glare of the star still dampened its visual presence. It remained a smooth and diffuse eerie presence within the glare of the nearby star. (New)

NGC 3737 (Ursa Major, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=11.9):
A few minutes northeast of the previous object I picked up this very small round glow using 152x. A little dim in the pre-dark sky it was not difficult, and revealed a stellar core within its disk. Viewed at 199x it was more obvious but still a little to the dim side and pretty small in visual angular extent. (New)

NGC 3759 (Ursa Major, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.2):
About 16’ east of NGC 3733 and just north of an 11th mag field star I pinned down this small and dim round glow at 2230 hours. Homogeneous in appearance, it presented a smooth disk to my eye. Then at 199x, it was more obvious but remained a bit weak visually and even in illumination. (New)

IC 2943 (Ursa Major, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.0):
In the same FOV with the previous object and only a couple of arc minutes to its northwest I picked up this little spiral. At 152x it was nothing more than a very small round non-stellar pip of light. It remained fairly weak at 199x and very small at 199x, but clearly a round little disk of diffuse light. (New)

MCG 9-19-135 (Ursa Major, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.6):
Less than half a degree north of NGC 3759 I nailed down this barred spiral that is sometimes listed as NGC 3759A. Picked up at 152x it presented a small and dim round homogeneous glow. Then at 199x it was easier to discern in the field though it remained visually dim. I also noted a very dim field star to its north, which turned out to be of magnitude 15.1. (New)

It was now astronomically dark so I swung south to Libra and aimed the scope at mag 2.6 Beta Librae (Zubenelschemali). Interestingly this is one of the cases where the Beta star is the brightest, with Alpha being slightly dimmer at mag 2.7. A very minor frustration occurred when later I found out that due to a clerical error on my part the first two objects in Libra turned out to be duplicate observations. For some reason I overlooked them in my log – oh well, my bad. :)

NGC 5917 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.6’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
A little over 2° northeast of Beta Lib I swept up my first two objects. The pair, known as Arp 254, is separated by only about four arc minutes. The northern of the duo is this spiral. It is also clearly the brighter of the two as well. Easily seen at 152x it appeared as a small and slightly bright oval. A non-stellar central brightness was noticed within its halo. Also observed at 199x and 283x it was quite obvious in the field, and its broader central brightness was more evident.

MGC -1-39-3 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=13.4):
Within the same field as NGC 5917 and just to its south was the second part of Arp 254. Seen with 152x it was a small and dim small diffuse oval glow. At both 199x and 283x it remained dim, but now a stellar core was evident at the center of its disk. A mag 9.9 field star lay immediately to its west.

NGC 5883 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
Moving back to Beta Lib and then southward I swept up this lenticular almost 10’ northwest of an 8th mag field star. Easily picked up using 152x it presented a small diffuse oval glow that was subtly bright to my eye. A stellar core was clearly seen at the heart of its halo, and at 199x the galaxy was very obvious within the view. (New)

NGC 5892 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.6’x2.9’, SBr=14.0):
Next up was this barred spiral, found nearly 1° SSW of the previous object. Its lower surface brightness gave it a very diffuse and slightly dim appearance at 152x. It presented a thick oval disk that was slightly small in apparent size. Viewed at 199x its face-on disk remained a ghostly orb of diffuse light, and while easier it was not a visually robust object due to the surface brightness. (New)

NGC 5849 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=13.3):
Next up was this galaxy, which lay next to a triangle of three stars (7th & 8th mag). Pretty small in visual size, it was a dim and round very diffuse disk at 152x. Viewed at 199x it was more obvious, yet it remained homogeneous and ghostly to the eye. (New)

NGC 5810 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Picked up at 152x this barred spiral was small and slightly dim to my eye. Smoothly illuminated across its disk it was just north of a dim mag 14.9 field star. With 199x it was obvious and its envelope remained smooth and even. (New)

NGC 5978 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
I next pinned down this fairly dim and very small rounded homogeneous disk using 152x. Also viewed at 199x and 283x it was more obvious at each step, but still remained visually dim overall. It appeared a little more out of round at the higher magnifications as a little bit more of its outer halo came into view. It continued to appear quite diffuse in appearance. (New)

NGC 5995 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=12.8):
My last object in Libra for this outing was this spiral. At 152x it presented as a very small and slightly out of round disk with a stellar core. It lay just east of a pair of field stars (12th & 14th mag) and was slightly dim to the eye. Using 199x it was an obvious thick oval glow with a readily apparent stellar core set within its diffuse envelope. (New)

I next moved the scope up to Arcturus to begin some more foraging for galaxies within Bootes. No matter how many galaxies I’ve observed in a constellation previously, there are always more that have not found their way into my observing log. Thus I have to revisit an area periodically to pick up where I’d left off during previous hunts.

NGC 5513 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.9’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
Nearly 1.5° northwest of Arcturus I located my first target of the evening in Bootes. Easily seen with 152x it appeared as a small but somewhat bright thick oval disk with a very dim outer halo. A stellar core was readily apparent in its center. Very obvious in the field with 199x a small lens of brightness in its center surrounded the stellar core, with its dim outer halo fading away into the background sky. (New)

NGC 5509 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.7):
This galaxy was spotted about 7’ WSW from NGC 5513. This lenticular is frequently misidentified as PGC 50725 when in reality it should be equated with PGC 50751. Found using 152x in the same view as the previous object, it appeared as a small and fairly dim homogeneous oval disk. With 199x it a stellar core was now visible, and while the galaxy remained dim, it was not difficult at all. (New)

NGC 5492 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.6’x0.4’, SBr=12.1):
I found my next object almost 1° southwest of the previous one. Easily spotted using 152x it presented a small but somewhat bright elongated finger of light. I noticed a small elongated central brightness in its core oriented with the major axis of its envelope. Then at 199x an obvious stellar core was now visible set within this central lens. (New)

NGC 5490 (Bootes, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.1, size=2.4’x1.9’, SBr=13.5):
Moving back to Arcturus, I noticed the asterism Picot 1 (Napoleon’s Hat) to its south in the 8x50 RACI finder. I then slipped about 2° southwest of Arcturus to a mag 9.0 field star. South of this star I located this bright elliptical with 152x. Slightly small and somewhat bright, it’s out of round disk sported a stellar core at its heart. At 199x it was very obvious in the field and a small area of central brightness surrounded its stellar core. (New)

MCG 3-36-69 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.8):
Within the same field as NGC 5490 and about 5’ to its northeast, I spotted this nearly face-on spiral that is sometimes listed as NGC 5490C and also known as Arp 79. At 152x it was a very small and diffuse rounded glow. Even at 199x it was weak and presented a small smooth disk. (New)

MCG 3-36-67 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=13.1):
While observing “NGC 5490C” with 199x and few minutes to its southwest I was picking up a very small and very dim diffuse glow. This was just slightly northwest of NGC 5490. Sometimes listed as NGC 5490B, this very dim rounded dust bunny was viewed with 283x as well, though it remained very weak visually. Nonetheless it was clearly seen with direct vision. (New)

IC 983 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=5.4’x4.7’, SBr=14.9):
About 7’ north of the last group of three, I picked up a close pair also known as Arp 117. The larger and brighter of the pair was this nearly face-on barred spiral. At 152x it presented a small and slightly dim out of round glow. I suspected I was mostly seeing the central region of the galaxy while the lower surface brightness outer structure was unseen. At 199x I was beginning to pick up a little of the dimmer outer portion of the disk as it appeared a little more extended, though overall it was quite diffuse. A weak stellar core had now become apparent as well. (New)

IC 982 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=12.7):
About 2.5’ southwest of IC 983 and in the same field of view was this lenticular. At 152x it was a very small and round dim diffuse glow. With 199x it remained a bit weak though readily apparent next to IC 983. It also displayed a weak stellar core at its center. (New)

At this point I took a little break before pursuing more galaxies in Bootes. I sat back in my observing chair and looked up at Hercules. I focused my attention on the western side of the keystone asterism which marks the main feature of the constellation. After a few seconds I could make out the tiny diffuse glow of Messier 13 with the naked eye. That told me the transparency and seeing were both doing well. Though I had seen the primary plane of the Milky Way appear more robust, it was still a fine night. The temps were in the mid 60’s and the humidity was a bit elevated as things were wet (including the top of my head). But sitting out under a dark country sky is an inspirational experience that never gets old. Thanks for reading along thus far. I will be back with the conclusion of this night of exploration in the second part of my report. See you there. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 23 June 2022 - galaxies galore (Part 1)

Post by John Baars »

Nice report, thanks for sharing.
We'll be looking out for part 2!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice haul again!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:10 am Nice report, thanks for sharing.
We'll be looking out for part 2!

Thank you John. Working on part 2 now. :)

turboscrew wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 am Nice haul again!

Thank you Juha.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report as usual Alan. Identifying and observing an array of galactic targets in Libra is very impressive, and you continued the effort in Bootes, which often is regarded as a constellation bereft of celestial objects (e.g. no Messier targets) but actually is quite rich if you have a bit of aperture plus like off-the-beaten track globulars.

Outstanding effort and very worthy of the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:20 pm Great report as usual Alan. Identifying and observing an array of galactic targets in Libra is very impressive, and you continued the effort in Bootes, which often is regarded as a constellation bereft of celestial objects (e.g. no Messier targets) but actually is quite rich if you have a bit of aperture plus like off-the-beaten track globulars.

Outstanding effort and very worthy of the VROD for the day!

Thank you Michael and I appreciate your comments. Libra and Bootes certainly do share some commonality in that they both have a low surface brightness globular and contain no Messier objects. Yet if one has access to some darker skies and even moderate aperture, they both are rich in galaxies.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I was wondering what Alan is doing this moon cycle, and here you are! :) Great session Alan! Libra is often overlooked in part because of it's neighbor, Virgo, but it does contains a good share of galaxies and optimally positioned this time of year.

Congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:45 pm I was wondering what Alan is doing this moon cycle, and here you are! :) Great session Alan! Libra is often overlooked in part because of it's neighbor, Virgo, but it does contains a good share of galaxies and optimally positioned this time of year.

Congrats on the VROD!

Thank you Andrey. Yeah I am around. :) I hope to get another shot at it before the moon comes back around. Depending on weather and other things of course!
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats on your VROD, Alan. My read will have to wait...was "horses showing" it with my grandson all weekend!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:22 pm Congrats on your VROD, Alan. My read will have to wait...was "horses showing" it with my grandson all weekend!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. No rush on the read, not like they are going anywhere! Family time is important and hope you had a wonderful time.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another fine observing report from your dark sky site house with the big Dob scope. A nice haul of galaxies in Ursa Major, Libra, and Bootes. Thanks for another great session report Alan along with your excellent descriptions, and looking forward to reading Part 2.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm Hi Alan. Another fine observing report from your dark sky site house with the big Dob scope. A nice haul of galaxies in Ursa Major, Libra, and Bootes. Thanks for another great session report Alan along with your excellent descriptions, and looking forward to reading Part 2.

Thank you Marshall. I appreciate your kind comments.
Alan