My older Astrodon filters doesn't fit my new CFW - thoughts/suggestions?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My older Astrodon filters doesn't fit my new CFW - thoughts/suggestions?

Post by ram »

Hi all, it has been a while since I posted but I am lurking and checking out your awesome images when I can. But I have a question and I'm wondering if there's any good out of the box solutions I'm missing.

After a year's break, I am slowly getting back to imaging (as someone here wisely said, it's a marathon not a sprint---I'll post some data soon). Last year I bought a QHY294M and a QHYCFW-S-US along with Chroma LRGB filters. This set up is working great BUT my older Astrodon SHO filters are too thick for it! So right now I am using both FWs separately which has its advantages and disadvantages (can have two rigs going for instance). The main inconvenience is when imaging a target with both emission and reflection parts I have to manually reframe the target (which once I get my new Windows PC I think having TSX Pro be able to connect to my QHY cameras should make it automatic also).

I am about to start on IC59/IC63 and this is a reflection/emission nebula and it would be easier if I didn't have to change out the FWs but it is what it is. Regardless, going forward, I'm wondering if I should buy another set of SHO Chroma filters for use in the QHY CFW (and sell my AstroDon filters?) OR if I should look into getting Hbeta, N? filters to add to the colour palette? I'm looking for thoughts specially from who are doing imaging with Hbeta, N or other non-SHO filters and what your experience has been but I'm curious to hear from anyone: what would you do in this situation?

In other news, even though I've not generated new data, a number of my older images have been voted as a Featured or Quality Image in Wikipedia Commons and I think one was StellarShot of th Week a while back. But most importantly (and surprisingly to me!), my image of the Jellifish Nebula (IC443) was given a Jury's Prize in the 2021 Wiki Science Competition for the United States, to advance to the international phase of the competition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... es/Results - a few of the other images were also selected as finalists. My wife said that at this rate (the prize is $200), in a few decades I'll have made up for all expenses on this hobby. :)

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.