Are ~2x wide-field binoculars worth having?

Discuss binoculars.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Are ~2x wide-field binoculars worth having?

Post by AntennaGuy »

Hi All.

I've been intrigued lately by reading advertisements for very low-power (~2x) but "wide field" (Galilean) binoculars, which include those made by Vixen, Kasai Trading, and a new one by Astro Hutech that I just saw advertised today. The optics in these are not just trivial 2-lens opera-glasses (see, for example, the essay at: https://agenaastro.com/vixen-kasai-review.html) but the prices are not so trivial either.
Examples:
https://agenaastro.com/vixen-2-1x42-sup ... cular.html
https://agenaastro.com/kasai-trading-wi ... -view.html
https://agenaastro.com/astro-hutech-hin ... cular.html

Does anyone on this forum have thoughts to offer on how useful these really are to have handy for general-purpose/recreational astronomy? I have a pair of conventional 10x50 binoculars already. But these little guys are supposed to give the user a sort-of super-eyesight effect, by being low power/wide-field and gathering a lot more light than the naked eye, so the sky appears more full of stars, but steady to look at. Anyone have one of these? And if so, was it worth it/would you buy it all over again?

Thanks.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Are ~2x wide-field binoculars worth having?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some of the members here have these and seem to really like the low power wide field view of them.
If you are ever over at AF.net they have posted reviews in the binocular forums :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

I have the Kasai model and absolutely LOVE them!! Laid back in the zero gravity chair, the Milky Way is just astounding. If something were to happen to mine they would be replaced IMMEDIATELY!!
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

I have the Kasai version too: they were around 1/2 the price of the Vixens when I got them. Their optics are very good, and they give me a couple of magnitudes of very wide field so I can do some Milky Way or Magellanic Cloud exploring even under my urban sky (they let me pretend I am out in the country!). You get a much better wide field without eye glasses because of their Galilean design: the closer you can get your eyes the better.
I guess they do have a limited use: but if you like low power wide, sharp fields (without the shakes!) for Milky Way exploring like Ozman they are terrific.
I note that Kasai have upgraded theirs since I bought mine, so I suspect they will be even better.

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Max Nomad United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Max Nomad »

Ozman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm I have the Kasai model and absolutely LOVE them!! Laid back in the zero gravity chair, the Milky Way is just astounding. If something were to happen to mine they would be replaced IMMEDIATELY!!
I just order the Kasai Wide Field Binos from Agena. I consider this somewhere between an early birthday present and a rewarding myself for successfully pulling a client through a network disaster/recovery effort. Can't wait to use 'em...
SKYWARE: "BANNEKER" (Orion XT8 Classic w/ 9x50 RACI), "SOJOURNER" (Celestron NexStar 90 GT), "HARRIET" (Celestron Travel Scope 70), "THE NIKES" (Nikon WP 10x50 ATB), "SPOTTER" (8x56 Celestron Skymaster DX), "HAWK" (9x60 Oberwerk LW) and "GOGGLES" (2.3x42 Kasai Wide Field). EPs: (1.25") Plossl 6mm, 8 to 24 Zoom, 25mm, 32mm, 2X Barlow, 3X Barlow. SOFTWARE: Android (Camera FV-5, Daff Moon, Sky Map, SkyPortal, Heavens Above), Linux (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, BOINC SETI), Windows (Celestia, Starry Night 7, TheSkyX, TUBA, Adobe CS5)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats on the addition. I have never looked through a pair but I bet the views are stunning!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I have not looked through them. However these binoculars are usually something like 2x40mm meaning the exit pupils are 20mm. This is waste of aperture. I've always thought that they should just make the objectives 15mm since that is the effective aperture anyway. It would make them much lighter to hold and more compact.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I found this review of the Kasai Binos: http://vtastro.org/wide-view-binoculars ... i-trading/. Has peaked my interest!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
ab1963
Earth Ambassador

Post by ab1963 »

I have a set of the Vixen SG 2.1x42 binos and really like them as a quick grab and view they are gold easy to hold with no shaky views which puts me off anything over 8x for astronomy and if you're fortunate enough to live in or near or in a dark site that's when they really shine....
Tak FC100DF+FTF3035BA, Vixen SD81S+Baader D-Steeltrack
DM4, Berlebach uni 28
Baader BBHS mirror 2''
Powermate 2x
Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Delos 17.3, Nikon Nav HW 17/14, Docter 12.5,SV Optimus 4.7
Swarovski 8x25CL Binos
Lumicon oiii, uhc 1.25''-Dgm/Omega H-b 2''