sunspot with potential for solar flares doubles in size overnight, scientists say

Discuss solar related topics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

sunspot with potential for solar flares doubles in size overnight, scientists say

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: sunspot with potential for solar flares doubles in size overnight, scientists say

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, at least it's probably not going to be a Carrington event... ;)

I am curious, though. I read about this today on other sites and even though it was hazy out , I thought to take a look myself. Yesterday I took some shots of the Sun through my new-ish 60mm, and did the same today through the haze.

The first shot is yesterday, the 21st; and the second is from today...
21.jpg
21.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 592 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 592 times
My question is this: Is this spot getting bigger in a way I can't see in white light? I realise the Sun emits all wavelengths of light, and being on that narrow band makes me wonder if I need more filters :lol:

Thanks for the post nFA, and all the best to you and yours,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: sunspot with potential for solar flares doubles in size overnight, scientists say

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Thanks for the white light snaps! It looks to me like the main spot has doubled in extent in the second shot. Remember that only a ~40% increase in radius will ~ double the area. So I think you’re confirming the article. I suggest that you take another look and allow for the poorer conditions of the later photo.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thank you nFA; forest for the trees... I did take another look (at 2X image size) and I see what you mean. I was looking for everything but the surface area they cover it seems :lol:

Much appreciated!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC