Reprocess with new PI tools

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Reprocess with new PI tools

Post by Jockinireland »

This is a reprocess of data from last year to see how much difference/benefit can be gained fro the new WBPP with LN and the NoiseXterminator/StarxTerminator modules.

Its a bit unscientific because, of course, my skill have improved abit but i think it is still interesting.

This was my final image last year - i was quite happy with it.
HOORecomb70s.jpg
This is my new image processed last night. I am very happy with it and i believe it shows a marked improvement
Recomb2LHOO_PS_HPf.jpg
But the real difference becomes apparent on zooming in

old
HNZ2.JPG
new
HNZ1.JPG
Old
HNZ4.JPG
new
HNZ3.JPG
I think this is a remarkable improvement in terms of noise but also detail, contrast etc.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Reprocess with new PI tools

Post by messier 111 »

splendid work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

I would agree that your new process gives a better result, well done.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Remarkable improvement David. Much more detail and improved contrast. Not sure how much is due to new WBPP with LN and how much is due to the two Xterminator modules, but, the improvements are undeniable!

I too am a fan of the two Xterminator modules.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thanks @STEVE333

Yes its unclear to me how much is the new WBPP, how much the Xterminators and how much is just my better ability.

I did a quick comparison between the two WBPP outputs. I applied the extra stretch in WBPP (cant remember the proper technical term for that!) as it showed the differences more.
heartsxs.JPG
New is to left.

The obvious difference is the bottom border where I had a mismatch after meridian flip. That is completely resolved by the LN process. The overall background gradient is obviously improved also. This is also expected from the use of LN. After that the difference is more subtle but there is some improvement in contrast in areas of the heart, particularly in the areas to left, bottom and top right of the dense parts. I think that there is also an improvement in the central very faint part of the heart. I think all of this is beneficial to the final processing - but it is fairly subtle.

So I think the most significant improvement is from the XT's. I found that I got even better noise reduction by separating the channels before star removal and subsequent noise reduction. If I did it in other ways ( for example star removal-Noise reduction- separate channels) the noise reduction, while still pretty good, was not quite as effective.

I expect that my improved ability with PI has helped some but I think that the output of NoiseXterminator has given a start point which is much easier to process.

If anyone is interested in doing their own comparison I'd be happy to share the two stacks (the original was shared in one of our processing challenges already)

take care

David.
Last edited by Jockinireland on Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

[background][/background]Amazing difference! It looks like you added 10 more hours of data too!
I agree. LN works very well. Especially, for me, getting the defaults set correctly.
The Xterminator products are awesome.

Your original process is good. Your reprocess is stellar!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

That is a fabulous difference, David. Looks like you have lots of work to do on upcoming cloudy nights! I have been using the NXT plugin for PhotoShop and it is an amazing tool, even though in that environment it can only be applied in the non-linear phase. I love seeing these results from PixInsight, it gives me hope for when I finally get around to moving there.

Nice work and please keep us abreast of your progress redoing everything else you have ever shot! :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:15 pm That is a fabulous difference, David. Looks like you have lots of work to do on upcoming cloudy nights! I have been using the NXT plugin for PhotoShop and it is an amazing tool, even though in that environment it can only be applied in the non-linear phase. I love seeing these results from PixInsight, it gives me hope for when I finally get around to moving there.

Nice work and please keep us abreast of your progress redoing everything else you have ever shot! :)

Bob
Thanks Bob - yes you are right no shortage of reprocessing in sight - but what else would you do in midsummer at 53N :D

I normally dont like it when people talk about things in terms of being a "game changer". I prefer the term "quantum leap" and honestly I dont think I have used that term more than a couple of times. Ever. But for for me NoiseXTerminator, allied with starXterminator is indeed a Quantum Leap. (Or game changer if you prefer :D )

I think that Jim's @Juno16 statement above hits it square, "It looks like you added 10 more hours of data too". I recently posted 2 images each with less than 2 hours integration, which in my view would have been virtually unusable without additional hours of integration but with NX were quite presentable.

Right, I'm off into the archive!!

David

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice, apparently theres a new tool update, starnet 2.0 . i'll also have to give the ones you mentioned ago aswell,your image looks much better.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's an amazing improvement, of course the original data is amazing in itself :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:07 am Thanks @STEVE333

Yes its unclear to me how much is the new WBPP, how much the Xterminators and how much is just my better ability.

I did a quick comparison between the two WBPP outputs. I applied the extra stretch in WBPP (cant remember the proper technical term for that!) as it showed the differences more.

heartsxs.JPG

New is to left.

The obvious difference is the bottom border where I had a mismatch after meridian flip. That is completely resolved by the LN process. The overall background gradient is obviously improved also. This is also expected from the use of LN. After that the difference is more subtle but there is some improvement in contrast in areas of the heart, particularly in the areas to left, bottom and top right of the dense parts. I think that there is also an improvement in the central very faint part of the heart. I think all of this is beneficial to the final processing - but it is fairly subtle.

So I think the most significant improvement is from the XT's. I found that I got even better noise reduction by separating the channels before star removal and subsequent noise reduction. If I did it in other ways ( for example star removal-Noise reduction- separate channels) the noise reduction, while still pretty good, was not quite as effective.

I expect that my improved ability with PI has helped some but I think that the output of NoiseXterminator has given a start point which is much easier to process.

If anyone is interested in doing their own comparison I'd be happy to share the two stacks (the original was shared in one of our processing challenges already)

take care

David.

Thanks David for explaining the improvements coming from the WBPP LN. As I mentioned before I've never tried it and am looking forward to trying it on my next set of data. I haven't taken any data in some time (I don't shoot during galaxy season because I only have a WFOV setup) so I'm itching to give it a try.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:22 am
Jockinireland wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:07 am Thanks @STEVE333

heartsxs.JPG

New is to left.

take care

David.

Thanks David for explaining the improvements coming from the WBPP LN. As I mentioned before I've never tried it and am looking forward to trying it on my next set of data. I haven't taken any data in some time (I don't shoot during galaxy season because I only have a WFOV setup) so I'm itching to give it a try.

Steve
Hi Steve @STEVE333 ,

When you get a chance to try LN in WBPP, make sure to reset WBPP to default settings. Or, insure that you start out with the new defaults for LN as shown in the image below.
PI will retain the old LN defaults when WBPP is updated which for me caused a gradient or color background splotching issue.

In my case, the background issue was caused by the "Reference frame generation" parameter was set to "Single best frame", instead of the new default Integration of best frames". As long as you reset WBPP, you should be okay.

David @Jockinireland , please add anything especially if your experience differs.

Capture.JPG

The difference using LN over not using LN is definitely significant.

Thanks and good luck Steve!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am
Hi Steve @STEVE333 ,

When you get a chance to try LN in WBPP, make sure to reset WBPP to default settings. Or, insure that you start out with the new defaults for LN as shown in the image below.
PI will retain the old LN defaults when WBPP is updated which for me caused a gradient or color background splotching issue.

In my case, the background issue was caused by the "Reference frame generation" parameter was set to "Single best frame", instead of the new default Integration of best frames". As long as you reset WBPP, you should be okay.

David @Jockinireland , please add anything especially if your experience differs.

Capture.JPG

Thanks Jim. I wouldn't have thought to set everything to defaults. Will do.

I'll report back how it works.

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:42 pm
Hi Steve @STEVE333 ,

Capture.JPG

Steve

Personally, I am not a big fan of setting anything back to default because I might not remember a change that I made that I wanted to keep before resetting.

If you are hesitant about resetting, you can even give it a try with the existing settings and see how it goes. For me, I had a large dataset that took 2 hours to process, so experimenting was very time consuming!

I posted a link to a thread on CN relating to the issue in an earlier post, but you can look at it if you want to and see where others had a problem with their defaults.

PI has a policy of not overwriting existing settings because users have changed existing settings (defaults) to get better processing results for their images and they don't want to wipe that out. Makes sense.

In the case of LN, the "Single best frame" setting was the default in previous versions of WBPP LN and when the new WBPP came out recently, LN was offered with a new Reference Frame Generation setting of "Integration of Best frames". If someone had "Single best frame" selected (previous version default), then the PI update will not overwrite that setting with the new version default. The PI support team recommends resetting WBPP to defaults to take advantage of the newest recommended defaults. That CN thread is pretty big, but has some good information.

If you want to use the new recommended LN defaults without resetting everything, just make sure that your settings in LN match what is in the image in my previous post.

Good luck Steve and please respond back with your findings.
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:19 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:42 pm
Hi Steve @STEVE333 ,

Capture.JPG

Steve

Personally, I am not a big fan of setting anything back to default because I might not remember a change that I made that I wanted to keep before resetting.

If you are hesitant about resetting, you can even give it a try with the existing settings and see how it goes. For me, I had a large dataset that took 2 hours to process, so experimenting was very time consuming!

I posted a link to a thread on CN relating to the issue in an earlier post, but you can look at it if you want to and see where others had a problem with their defaults.

PI has a policy of not overwriting existing settings because users have changed existing settings (defaults) to get better processing results for their images and they don't want to wipe that out. Makes sense.

In the case of LN, the "Single best frame" setting was the default in previous versions of WBPP LN and when the new WBPP came out recently, LN was offered with a new Reference Frame Generation setting of "Integration of Best frames". If someone had "Single best frame" selected (previous version default), then the PI update will not overwrite that setting with the new version default. The PI support team recommends resetting WBPP to defaults to take advantage of the newest recommended defaults. That CN thread is pretty big, but has some good information.

If you want to use the new recommended LN defaults without resetting everything, just make sure that your settings in LN match what is in the image in my previous post.

Good luck Steve and please respond back with your findings.

Thanks Jim - The suggestions and warnings are much appreciated.

Steve
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Nice improvement, David. As for my own experience with LN, I've found that for shots taken from my LP backyard, it's really important to take a look at the frame or frames that are being selected. If I go with defaults I can sometimes end up with a less than desirable reference frame. For something shot from a darker site, without my crazy gradients, things might be different.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

StarX and NoiseX are currently the best in the business.

Your images are super nice too.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.