astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Rima Sirsalis

Post by astroavani »

Sirsalis rhyme
Judging by what has been read on the internet recently, there is a lot of confusion and a lot of disagreement about the channels, or lunar grooves. Different websites say that Rima Sirsalis or Sirsalis Rille, shown in the attached image, is a lava tube or lava channel, but some admit some confusion as this volcanic feature formed in the highlands of the Moon rather than in the seas. The word rille (channel or groove) is used to describe a wide variety of valleys that are considerably longer than they are wide. Winding channels, like the Marius, are volcanic lava tubes. Linear ones such as Ariadaeus and concentric ones such as Hippalus are tectonic cracks normally associated with the stress regime related to the impact basins.
Linear channels are interpreted as depressions formed over vertical bundles of magma called dykes. Dikes are born in regions where the horizontal stress is extensional, making it easy for the dike to push up the surrounding rocks. Sirsalis Rille, is one of the largest channels, or linear grooves on the Moon, approximately 380 km long. According to bibliographic references, the channel has a maximum width of 3.7 km and an average depth of 230 meters. What supports the interpretation of this channel as a volcanic dyke, are the magnetic measurements made by the Apollo and Lunar Prospector spacecraft, which revealed a large linear anomaly over the dyke. Sirsalis Rille is among the 8 or 10 channels approximately radial to the hypothetical Gargantua impact basin which had its western third filled by Oceanus Procellarum. Somehow the dikes are related to the vast Gargantua depression, but exactly how this relationship occurs is still a mystery.
The Sirsalis Channel is fascinating because in addition to being large in length it has a strong gravitational field, but the channel seen in the image can also be considered striking as it falls into the De Vico A crater and then scales its wall continuing on the other side. Looking at it like this, it seems that he appeared in this region like lightning. But it actually emerged, thanks to forces coming from below, apparently a vertical sheet of magma that also likely traveled laterally and fed lava into Oceanus Procellarum. As the channel cannot float, it is lower inside the crater than in its rim. To the east the channel crosses the interior of a large unnamed crater where it undergoes a major detour. The reason for this deviation is completely mysterious, but one thing that is clear is a series of canals that appear to start at Sirsalis and head towards Darwin, where a large canal crosses the interior diagonally. Channels sometimes seem to have a life of their own doing what they want to do. At least that's how they appear to be when we fail to understand the forces that created them.
In April 2013, photographing the same location (https://www.astrobin.com/47300/?q=sirsa ... astroavani), my colleague Zeca saw the photo and made an interesting observation: It looks like the shadow of Sirsalis J is apparently abnormal!
He also launched some very interesting speculations and my curiosity was piqued.
I analyzed QuickMap and created a three-dimensional image of this crater. I searched the internet but didn't find specific information about it. I find it interesting to repeat your statements here:
"There is something unusual about Sirsalis J, this crater just below Sirsalis F. See that the direction of the shadow inside the crater is at a different angle to the other surrounding craters. Also, it appears to be on top of a hill and that might explain your wrong shadow".
Sirsalis J is an impact crater near the top of a mountain, it could have some inclination different from other craters that occur in plains, this would explain its shadow with different orientation. It could still be speculated that this mountain could be a volcano because of its apparent cone shape and for being in Rimae Sarsilis.
These are speculations, but they can generate interesting research.
I believe that the impact of an object this size on top of a hill would probably destroy the entire hill, but these are pure assumptions without any basis.
In fact, looking at the 3D QuickMap image, one has the strong impression that there is a super dome, something I don't know exists on the moon with such proportions. Anyway, as Zeca said, they are pure speculations, but they make the art of lunar photography such a delightful hobby.
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Rima Sirsalis

Post by messier 111 »

very nice work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Wonderful detail on this, well done.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Avani. A superb gallery of lunar images from you and also an excellent commentary too. Here is what our lunar professor and guru Charles Wood notes in one of his books concerning Sirsalis Rille: "A fine example of these long, nearly straight rilles travels north-northeast past the conspicuous Crater Sirsalis before disappearing along the Procellarium shore. This is not a sinuous rille like those around the northern side of the Aristarchus plateau but rather a flat-floored linear trough. This rille appears to be roughly radial to the Imbrium basin, but it's shape was controlled by something else. Matt Golombek measured the angles of the rille's walls and deduced that it formed in material that progressively thickened from 2 to 3.5 km deep in the direction of Orientale. Golombek concluded that the rille's width and the slopes of it's walls were determined by the thickness or Orientale ejecta through which the rille cuts and which increase toward the basin. Further evidence about the nature of this rille was provided by the Lunar Prospector spacecraft, which mapped a strong magnetic anomaly associated with it. The magnetism indicates the existence of a volcanic dike that failed to reach the surface."
Thanks Avani for a great lunar thread with your fantastic captures and information. So keep up this great work Avani.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Exceptional images Avani, I am looking forward to purchasing your lunar atlas one day :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Avani on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

https://theskysearchers.com/app.php/art ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Superb images Avani.
Congratulations on the APOD.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Congratulations on the TSS APOD award.

I really enjoyed reading the explanation of the geological features associated with the image. Especially this line:

>>To the east the channel crosses the interior of a large unnamed crater where it undergoes a major detour. The reason for this deviation is completely mysterious,...<<

I suppose, at the very least, we can assume that the large unnamed crater was created before the rille was formed, right?

That does not seem to match well with this idea:

>>But it [the rille] actually emerged, thanks to forces coming from below, apparently a vertical sheet of magma that also likely traveled laterally and fed lava into Oceanus Procellarum.<<

I say that because I would think the lava, travelling laterally, would fill the unnamed crater at least to some extent long before reaching the Oceanus P. If the force pushing up from below can reach the rim of the crater, how much more likely it would fill the bottom of the crater.

Not that I know a lot about Lunar geological features. I'm just surmising what makes sense based on the information you provided in the very detailed description that you gave.

I would like to hear what you think about it. Thanks.

BTW, I also liked your description of Sirsalis J.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

Makuser wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pm Hi Avani. A superb gallery of lunar images from you and also an excellent commentary too. Here is what our lunar professor and guru Charles Wood notes in one of his books concerning Sirsalis Rille: "A fine example of these long, nearly straight rilles travels north-northeast past the conspicuous Crater Sirsalis before disappearing along the Procellarium shore. This is not a sinuous rille like those around the northern side of the Aristarchus plateau but rather a flat-floored linear trough. This rille appears to be roughly radial to the Imbrium basin, but it's shape was controlled by something else. Matt Golombek measured the angles of the rille's walls and deduced that it formed in material that progressively thickened from 2 to 3.5 km deep in the direction of Orientale. Golombek concluded that the rille's width and the slopes of it's walls were determined by the thickness or Orientale ejecta through which the rille cuts and which increase toward the basin. Further evidence about the nature of this rille was provided by the Lunar Prospector spacecraft, which mapped a strong magnetic anomaly associated with it. The magnetism indicates the existence of a volcanic dike that failed to reach the surface."
Thanks Avani for a great lunar thread with your fantastic captures and information. So keep up this great work Avani.
Thank you for the complementary text Makuser friend!
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:07 pm Exceptional images Avani, I am looking forward to purchasing your lunar atlas one day :)
We have a book here in Brazil about Astrophotography in which I am one of the co-authors:
https://www.amazon.com.br/Astrofotograf ... 4495&psc=1
Of course, my chapter couldn't help but be the Moon, too bad the text is in Portuguese.
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

BABOafrica wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:22 am Congratulations on the TSS APOD award.

I really enjoyed reading the explanation of the geological features associated with the image. Especially this line:

>>To the east the channel crosses the interior of a large unnamed crater where it undergoes a major detour. The reason for this deviation is completely mysterious,...<<

I suppose, at the very least, we can assume that the large unnamed crater was created before the rille was formed, right?

That does not seem to match well with this idea:

>>But it [the rille] actually emerged, thanks to forces coming from below, apparently a vertical sheet of magma that also likely traveled laterally and fed lava into Oceanus Procellarum.<<

I say that because I would think the lava, travelling laterally, would fill the unnamed crater at least to some extent long before reaching the Oceanus P. If the force pushing up from below can reach the rim of the crater, how much more likely it would fill the bottom of the crater.

Not that I know a lot about Lunar geological features. I'm just surmising what makes sense based on the information you provided in the very detailed description that you gave.

I would like to hear what you think about it. Thanks.

BTW, I also liked your description of Sirsalis J.

BABO
Hello BABO!
I believe you are right in your assumptions, but as mentioned in the text, these channels may have two origins, one is from lava tubes and spills and the other from faults in the crust, as my colleague Makuser put it from text from friend Chuck. I personally believe it to be a fault in the crust and not a lava channel as your own assumption reinforces this theory, if it were a lava channel it would certainly have filled De Vico and the unnamed crater which certainly predates its formation. Sirsalis F and J craters are certainly later because there is no sign of the channel inside, as they must have formed after the impact of the bolide completely erased the channel that should have been there.
I hope I have answered your question because I have great difficulty with English and I depend solely on the translator.
If you still have any doubts or I got it wrong, I'm waiting for your placement.
Best Regards
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Your images and descriptions are usually better than my Rukl lunar atlas.
Just announce when they go for sale and I will buy one :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

astroavani wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:25 am
Hello BABO!
I believe you are right in your assumptions, but as mentioned in the text, these channels may have two origins, one is from lava tubes and spills and the other from faults in the crust, as my colleague Makuser put it from text from friend Chuck. I personally believe it to be a fault in the crust and not a lava channel as your own assumption reinforces this theory, if it were a lava channel it would certainly have filled De Vico and the unnamed crater which certainly predates its formation. Sirsalis F and J craters are certainly later because there is no sign of the channel inside, as they must have formed after the impact of the bolide completely erased the channel that should have been there.
I hope I have answered your question because I have great difficulty with English and I depend solely on the translator.
If you still have any doubts or I got it wrong, I'm waiting for your placement.
Best Regards
Many thanks for your response. What you say makes sense.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC