How Low Can You Go – Joe’s Astro Limbo Competition

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

How Low Can You Go – Joe’s Astro Limbo Competition

Post by OzEclipse »

Tonight was the first clear night with some dark sky since the last new Moon when I captured the time lapse of the NEO asteroid (7335) 1989 JA.

Since then, a lot of cloud, rain, and a few fogs impeded observing. The only clear nights during this past month were high percentage waxing gibbous moons and full Moon.

This has squeezed me on a project I’ve been meaning to try for the past few years, astro-limbo.

I got off to a bad start. Cutting firewood this afternoon, I was using my foot to hold still a fallen branch that I was cutting for kindling and 50-75mm billets with a bow saw. I got my foot caught in a branch fork. As I was falling, I managed to work my foot free so that I didn’t break an ankle or foot and rotated in mid air so that I fell flat on my back on the capping of a small brick retaining wall. Ouch!

I was really tempted to scotch the astro-limbo competition but tonight could be the last clear night in June and July is too late. I’d be forced to wait another two years as I’ll be travelling during limbo season next year.

I took the 18” dob out to the top of my “street.” I’m at the end of a country lane so the street is in reality a large patch of fairly flat grass and I am the only resident on the street. Consequently, there is a zero chance of passing traffic. Rolling the dob wheelbarrow mount out there over some very uneven ground is a bit challenging. Observing from this area gives me access to very low altitudes on the northern horizon.

At this time of year, several Messier galaxies that I have never managed to observe poke their nose low over the northern horizon. My primary targets were Messier’s 51 and 106. M51 and M106 are both at declination 47 north and reach a maximum altitude of 8.5 degrees from my location. M63 and M94 are both +41 north and reach a more easily observed 14-15 degrees.

I set up the scope as the sun was setting, collimated it and left it to cool. I went inside and made myself a cruciferous vegetable based dinner. Brussels sprouts with onion, garlic, and parsley stalks sautéed in turmeric and mild curry powder served with wide ribbon pasta, a simple quick but quite delicious meal.

I went out a bit after astronomical twilight 6:30 pm and began observing. I had the transit times listed for each object. With such a short semidiurnal arc, it’s important to observe as the object culminates.

Conditions were interesting. Transparency was 3.5-4 / 5 but seeing was probably about 1/5, or worse. I was limited to using the Nagler 17 Type IV as my highest magnification eyepiece, a maximum magnification of about 150 and a field of 0.55o. However I mostly used the Nagler 31mm Type V.
M106 was the first to transit at 8:39 UT just minutes after the end of astronomical twilight. By the time I had sorted myself out, it was about 8:55 UT before I observed it. Wow at such a low altitude, and with awful seeing, it was large, diffuse and with only the barest of structure. I could pick up a condensed core, eccentric shape but no sign of the spiral structure. With my back sore and the tube almost horizontal, I had to use some novel observing squat positions to see through the eyepiece.

I moved straight on to M51. After M106, I wasn’t expecting much. But M51 did reveal some of its spiral structure and the outer linked spiral was easily visible.
M51 copy.jpg
With other targets a bit higher and transiting a bit later, I had some time before I needed to move on so I made a sketch. I had to work fast. I have inverted the sketch in Photoshop and made some corrections to errors on the original sketch. The red torch I was using was too bright and was affecting my dark adaptation so I went inside to get a fainter red torch and some fingerless gloves. The night wasn’t particularly cold with indoor temperatures 16C without any heating and outdoor was probably only 8C-10C. I only wore a fleece jacket and tracksuit pants. I didn’t have to resort to my really warm clothes. I had turned off white lighting and turned on red lighting in the house so this trip indoors didn’t result in any loss of night vision.

Returning to the telescope, I moved onto M94. It’s smaller size and relatively high magnitude made this a brighter object. With the poor seeing, it resembled an elliptical galaxy more than its spiral form.

I moved onto M63. I have observed M63 previously and when growing up in SE Queensland. A hint of the dark lanes could be detected with one side of the galaxy obviously darker than the other. Rather than appearing as dark lanes, they appeared more like a dark void in the galaxy.

So with 4 primary targets observed, it was time for some fun. Next target was NGC 6188, also known as the “Fighting Dragons of Ara.” For some reason I have never thought to try observing it, regarding it as a narrowband photographic subject. No dragons tonight but I did observe some delicate nebulosity and two bright knots which I worked out corresponds to the positions of the heads of the two dragons. By the time I was observing it, 10:00 UT, it was at about 50 degrees altitude.

Next I continued with my galaxy quest and moved onto NGC 6744, a large ¼ deg face on spiral galaxy. This galaxy is a real gem and shows wonderful structural detail. I next moved onto the Leo Triplet and made another attempt at a sketch. This was again sketched with a pencil on white paper, photographed and inverted in Photoshop and retouched to remove sketching errors.
leo-Triplet copy.jpg
I went to a planetary nebula, NGC 3142, “the Ghost of Jupiter,” with the poor seeing I couldn’t use much magnification and it appeared as an amorphous blob but with a strong blue hue with a tinge of green.

The waning gibbous moon was set to rise at 9:15. With transparency good, and I still couldn’t see any hint of a glow on the horizon at 8:40 so I spent the last few minutes on Eta Carina. Using the 17mm Nagler, the dark lane at PA 70 was just black black black contrasting nicely again the bright edge of the nebula.

With all the “how low can you go?” limbo observing, my back was definitely starting to complain after my late afternoon fall, dew was accumulating and the Moon was a risin', so I disassembled the 18" dob and wheeled her indoors. Not bad for a little under 3 hrs of observing.

Thanks for reading.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How Low Can You Go – Joe’s Astro Limbo Competition

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a great time Joe!

Some great views even considering the seeing. I really like your sketches!

14-15 degrees altitude? Wow, I can't see that low. You must have a wonderful place Joe.

You are very fortunate not to have gotten hurt worse than you did. Get some rest for y our back!

You pulled off a fine session despite the mishap. Take care, Joe, and thanks for the nice read!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

I hope you are well again. After such an accident I would have preferred a lighter telescope, but nevertheless...you had a great time!
....Nice observations, sketches and report! Thanks for sharing!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

@helicon I demand a VROD for this!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Joe and congratulations on the views of M51 and other Northern hemisphere galaxies. Certainly the VROD is in order. As I am on my phone this morning I will have to wait until I have access to TSS via my PC to document everything. Thanks for nominating Joe @turboscrew !
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great report and sketches Joe! That was a close call with firewood, I am glad you are OK!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very, very nicely done Joe! Fine sketches, but more importantly I truly applaud your effort in digging down toward your northern horizon for low hanging fruit. I do enjoy such observing from time to time myself. I engaged it a similar thing along my southern horizon on the evenings of 30/31 May in northern Centaurus (links below), with my 17.5 inch. It is an exercise in acrobatics at times trying to get down that low, but the results are very satisfying indeed. Again well done and congrats on a well deserved VROD. :)

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=25080

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=25144
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:34 pm Very, very nicely done Joe! Fine sketches, but more importantly I truly applaud your effort in digging down toward your northern horizon for low hanging fruit. I do enjoy such observing from time to time myself. I engaged it a similar thing along my southern horizon on the evenings of 30/31 May in northern Centaurus (links below), with my 17.5 inch. It is an exercise in acrobatics at times trying to get down that low, but the results are very satisfying indeed. Again well done and congrats on a well deserved VROD. :)

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=25080

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=25144
Thanks Alan,
I recall those reports and in fact they reminded me that this year's M51/M106 observing window was closing.
regards
Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:18 pm Great report and sketches Joe! That was a close call with firewood, I am glad you are OK!
Hi Andrey,
Woke up feeling reasonably ok, just a little sore. Stupid thing to do!
Funny thing, a similar thing happened to a friend at his observatory a few weeks back. He ended up with a fractured bone in his foot. I warned him of the need to be careful.
Joe
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

John Baars wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:35 pm I hope you are well again. After such an accident I would have preferred a lighter telescope, but nevertheless...you had a great time!
....Nice observations, sketches and report! Thanks for sharing!
Hi John,

Thanks for your message and kind words.

It might seem strange that I used the 18" but there was method to my madness.

As I expected, the galaxies were quite faint, even through the 18", due to the atmospheric extinction. I had previously failed to observe these galaxies using 9x63mm binoculars hence my plan to set up a large scope on the north fence. I suspect that even through my 6" or 8" they would have been barely a smudge or invisible. The same or worse through an 80mm refractor.

The low north horizon view observing spot is about 40m from the house.

Although the 18" dob weighs about 100kg, the wheelbarrow mount carries about 90kg of that in the rocker box,. It has long handles and large 13 inch wheels making it easy to lift and push. The trusses are very light and the secondary cage only weighs about 5kg. It's easier to set up than my EM200. To set that up, I first have to carry out the tripod, then the 17kg head, then 2-3x5kg counterweights, then the OTA, 20kg battery, electric power cables, etc etc. Set up and pull down is physically much easier with the 18" than the EM200. A lift and carry distance of 40 metres makes the EM200 even harder.

Joe
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:21 pm @helicon I demand a VROD for this!
Thank you Juha!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Here's a link to the VROD introductory page...

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p205903
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

helicon wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:26 pm Here's a link to the VROD introductory page...

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p205903
Hi Michael,
Thank you very much. I had fun last night
I like the way we, TSS, give equal weighting to visual and photographic pursuits.
In that same spirit, I now have 12 x VROD and 12 x APOD.
:lol:
Joe
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great report and session. Well deserved APOD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. A very nice observing report and sketch of M51 from the "Land Down Under". And a great Leo Triplet sketch as well. Thanks for sharing your report and sketches with us Joe, I hope your back is still on the mend, and congratulations on receiving the well deserved TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the VROD Joe, well deserved!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Very nice report Joe.
Thank you.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Makuser wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:57 pm Hi Joe. A very nice observing report and sketch of M51 from the "Land Down Under". And a great Leo Triplet sketch as well. Thanks for sharing your report and sketches with us Joe, I hope your back is still on the mend, and congratulations on receiving the well deserved TSS VROD Award.
Thanks Marshall,

I think I was very luck with a mix of surprising agility. I managed to disentangle my foot as I was falling and fortunately landed along a line of wide capping bricks not across it which could have done me a serious injury. Two days on and I'm feeling absolutely fine. Only thing injured was my pride.

cheers

Joe