Light Blocking Panels

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Light Blocking Panels

Post by KingNothing13 »

Does anyone on the forum use light blocking panels?

If so, do you have plans/photos you'd be willing to share?

I am thinking I would like to put something up when I am observing - I have a couple of new LED Street lights that are annoying. And neighbors. (which are and are not annoying :lol: )
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Light Blocking Panels

Post by JayTee »

Hi Brett,

There's not been a lot of traffic that I've seen on this topic. But to me it seems to be as simple as PVC pipes from Home Depot and tarps from harbor freight and you should be able to erect something fairly quickly. Don't forget to cut u-shaped slits in the tarp to allow wind to pass through but no light.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yeah i do!, i use cardboard on my windows so can sleep during the day and astronomy at night! :lol:
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:25 pm Hi Brett,

There's not been a lot of traffic that I've seen on this topic. But to me it seems to be as simple as PVC pipes from Home Depot and tarps from harbor freight and you should be able to erect something fairly quickly. Don't forget to cut u-shaped slits in the tarp to allow wind to pass through but no light.

Cheers,
JT
Yeah, I've seen a few of those floating around from people who have built them.

I am thinking that this is a long term thing for me - going to go with a towel for now. :lol:
-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I do. I constructed a rectangular frame of 3/4-in PVC pipe and I hang black grommet-top cloth shower curtains from the top crossbar with cable ties. I didn't glue any of the PVC together, so it's quite easy and fast to put up / take down and very light weight and portable. And I can use the PVC for other projects if needed.

Since I usually observe on my deck, I'm probably going to just hang the curtain / bars on deck rail plant hangers. Even faster to put up / take down.

I'll see if I can post some pics.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:44 pm I do. I constructed a rectangular frame of 3/4-in PVC pipe and I hang black grommet-top cloth shower curtains from the top crossbar with cable ties. I didn't glue any of the PVC together, so it's quite easy and fast to put up / take down and very light weight and portable. And I can use the PVC for other projects if needed.

Since I usually observe on my deck, I'm probably going to just hang the curtain / bars on deck rail plant hangers. Even faster to put up / take down.

I'll see if I can post some pics.
Sure - I'd be interested in seeing pics, if you are able to post them.

Thanks!
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl »

Our Club is looking into different configurations. Since we are at a State Park it will have to be something that can be broken down at the end of the night, but it also has to be fairly long. The main turn around for the island is right next to where we set up. So every car hits us with high beams as they circle around. The Park is working with us to try and come up with a semi-permanent solution. Nova-1 has more info on this....hopefully he will see this post and give you more information.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
Nova 1 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Nova 1 »

I believe Sky & Telescope had a DIY article on this subject last year. You might still be able to find the article online. If I can find my issue, I will post it. They used PVC pipe and a specific light blocking fabric. Easy to put up and takedown. I am looking for a spring-loaded roller that will hold a 6' wide fabric to pull across a few support post. I have not been very diligent in my search.

David
Telescopes: Celestron C11/ Orion 14" Dob/ Meade 8” ACF / WO 71 Zenithstar/ 2- Mead 114 Reflectors/ 4-Celestron 50 Refractors.
Mounts: Celestron CGE/ Celestron AVX /Various manual mounts.
Cameras: Nikon D70s/ Nikon 5100/ ZWO ASI120mc/ ZWO ASIAIR Plus.
Software: DSS/ Star Tools.
Local Astronomy Club: Crystal Coast Stargazers

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nova 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 pm I believe Sky & Telescope had a DIY article on this subject last year. You might still be able to find the article online. If I can find my issue, I will post it. They used PVC pipe and a specific light blocking fabric. Easy to put up and takedown. I am looking for a spring-loaded roller that will hold a 6' wide fabric to pull across a few support post. I have not been very diligent in my search.

David
I am not finding the S&T article on the web - I've tried searches with variants on the terms, but nothing has come up.

This is also more of a long-term thing for me, if it happens at all. I think I am going to go with the old stand by towel over the head at the EP for now.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

What you're looking for, is a used projection screen mechanism.. Search Fleabay and you might get lucky...
Spray paint the screen black and you'd be in business...

Yup...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

and yet with all of the screen ideas, what is the stability like when the weather changes and it is windy? Time to pack up for the night I suppose.
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

mcolbert wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:39 pm and yet with all of the screen ideas, what is the stability like when the weather changes and it is windy? Time to pack up for the night I suppose.
As JT mentioned above... Some judicious u shaped slices can allow wind to pass without destroying the screen...
If it's gusting enough to knock the screen about, it's probably too gusty to observe anyway.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I don't use Imgur or anything like that, so I uploaded some pix to my TSS gallery. I think they're visible now.

app.php/gallery/album/144

Addendum: I should probably paint the PVC a dark color so they don't stand out so much at night and possibly draw curious neighbors, but I haven't gotten around to it.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 pm I don't use Imgur or anything like that, so I uploaded some pix to my TSS gallery. I think they're visible now.

Addendum: I should probably paint the PVC a dark color so they don't stand out so much at night and possibly draw curious neighbors, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Cool - thanks - I will use for inspiration. :)
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Not sure the comments are readable in my gallery - very dark on my screen - but I should add that I usually set the top pipe about 2 feet higher by using 2 2-ft pipe lengths and couplings. The configuration in the pic is being used as a laundry drying rack right now. LOL.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I finally painted the PVC with Rustoleum black spray paint. Looks much better IMO and should be less visible to curious passersby. (I’m not antisocial, but my scope time is MY time. I paid my dues working at Adler Planetarium years ago. 😉)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 pm I don't use Imgur or anything like that, so I uploaded some pix to my TSS gallery. I think they're visible now.

I have made the same style using 2" ABS plastic pipe, 2 elbows and 4 tees and a 10'x8' black tarp.
I set the poles so the tarp has a 1' overlap on the four sides and hold it in place with bungee cords.
I sand the pipe going into the uprights so I can turn them if placing two together at a angle.
The pipe used for the feet I have drilled 1/4" holes in the end to put a 14" long tent spike through and the lower bar is only about 6" off of the ground.

They are handy as you can take them apart fully, roll the pipe up in the tarp and wrap the bungee cords around so everything is together for next time.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've switched to using 18-in or so tall plant hangars that are held to my deck railing with set screws. I hang the horizontal PVC in the crooks of the hangars with the curtains hanging down. So far, I've used 3 hangars to block 2 sides, but I'm going to pick up another once they're back in stock (probably next spring).
_
I'm using 45-degree connectors, so the pipes will look like this: / \ from above.

I'm keeping the legs in case I need them away from home.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

And yet another improvement (?):

I put new cable ties in the shower curtain grommets and left the cable tie loops on the long side. I now hang the curtains via the ties on the plant hangers with no pipes. Even simpler and no 4-ft lengths of PVC to drag / store. Plus the curtains fold up compactly so I can store them in a drawer in the living room.

Amazon has some adjustable height plant hangers that I might try. That might be easier than folding the curtains and using binder clips like I do now if they're too long.

I will keep the PVC frame just in case I need it when camping or something. Easy enough to slip the curtains back on the pipes.
EAGLE 5

Post by EAGLE 5 »

I noticed on the local want ads somebody was selling trade show display walls. They were $150 Canadian for a 8x8 and $200 for a 10x10. Borderline expensive, but it all comes apart nice and packs into a duffel bag. Might be useful for someone in certain circumstances.