FIELD TEST: THE NOH CT-20 ALT-AZ MOUNT

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

by WilliamPaolini

Fig 1: Close up of the NoH CT-20 Alt-Az (Altitude-Azimuth) mount configured with a Vixen-style saddle. Image Credit: Author. 1. OVERVIEW [NOTE - This product evaluation was conducted in 2021]. The NoH CT-20 Alt-Az (altitude-Azimuth) mount is a product offering that is designed, manufactured, and sold...
Read more...
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Jones
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: FIELD TEST: THE NOH CT-20 ALT-AZ MOUNT

Post by Jones »

I have seen this mount on Ebay but at $650 was not tempted to test it myself. Thanks for doing this BillP.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

I've looked at this mount a time or two, but somewhat dismissed it due to lack of slo-mo control, but may need to take another look. Thanks for the comprehensive review and opinion.
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

SpyderwerX wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:40 pm I've looked at this mount a time or two, but somewhat dismissed it due to lack of slo-mo control, but may need to take another look. Thanks for the comprehensive review and opinion.

I had the same attitude and never gave an alt-az without slo-mo controls consideration. This one though really changed my opinion on that as even at 600x all movements where so precise and could control things in the FOV just as well as my slo-mo experiences...if not a little better actually since did not have to think about movements along 2 discrete axes like when using slo-mo controls. So was more intuitive.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for the excellent review Bill, If I decide to move up to a higher capacity Az/ Alt mount I will definitely keep this in mind.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

SpyderwerX wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:40 pm I've looked at this mount a time or two, but somewhat dismissed it due to lack of slo-mo control, but may need to take another look. Thanks for the comprehensive review and opinion.
It look nicely done and has plenty of capacity for my OTAs, but I prefer mounts with slo-mo too, at least so far. Adding encoders is a powerful incentive to consider one though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I have always preferred slo-mo controls also. This is however the first mount without where I did not miss them.
-Bill

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm I have always preferred slo-mo controls also. This is however the first mount without where I did not miss them.
Interesting!
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:51 pm
WilliamPaolini wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm I have always preferred slo-mo controls also. This is however the first mount without where I did not miss them.
Interesting!

I was actually quite surprised, especially since I found that even at extreme magnifications (600x) I was having no issues whatsoever not having slo-mo controls.
-Bill

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Have you by chance tried changing EPs while on one target?

I wanted to love my SV M1C - it was a thing of beauty - but I could never get the friction right and I had to clamp down when changing EPs which knocked the FOV off target. I will not rule out that it was just me being a klutz, but it added a level of frustration to observing.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I don't know about the M1C, but I hear good things about the M2C. I was actually going to compare the NOH mount to the SV M2C and was borrowing one from a friend, but it got lost in shipment and never arrived :-(
-Bill

Bino-Handle United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bino-Handle »

Amazing review as always Bill!

Had not seen this review til today.

I must add that while I love the idea of something around $700 that can hold and be deemed compatible to larger medium sized telescopes, I do not like the push and pull on the telescope. Doing this with ES127 on AVX as the DX is underloaded with the 204 f5.9 has been sketch at best but doing the same as this reviewed mount but AVX has added features as tracking and goto.