Raw images from colour camera?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Raw images from colour camera?

Post by turboscrew »

Is there a nice way of turning a raw image from a colour camera to an image file with colours separated? The camera driver (Omegon veLOX 178C) doesn't seem to do very good job with RGB. Starting with the fact that the image is upside down. I think the raw file just contains pixel values, so the conversion needs to do debayering, and maybe somehow make separate R, G and B planes or channels.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Raw images from colour camera?

Post by turboscrew »

After half a day googling, I found that PIPP can do it easily.
Funny, that most graphics SW can't.

Raw 16-bit FITS-file debayered (GBRG) and flipped vertically, then written into red, green and blue files using PIPP.
All the files are resized to 800x600 for smaller size.
Do the colour-files look normal? I expected a bit less "colour-leakage".
The camera is Omegon veLOX 178C and the FITS-file was captured using SharpCap.

A reference file with picture of the test image taken with Canon PowerShot A590.
IMG_0844_small.JPG
Red file
r_Capture_00001 - Copy.jpg
Green file
g_Capture_00001 - Copy.jpg
Blue file
b_Capture_00001 - Copy.jpg
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I would think that most advanced editors that can read your FITS file format can do this. In Gimp for instance I would load the file and select Decompose, that should work. I don't know what editors you tried but it's good to know that PIPP can do it. BTW maybe the printer made the color run out a bit?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:12 am I would think that most advanced editors that can read your FITS file format can do this. In Gimp for instance I would load the file and select Decompose, that should work. I don't know what editors you tried but it's good to know that PIPP can do it. BTW maybe the printer made the color run out a bit?
Gimp can't. The FITS is just the gray values of every pixel, It needs to be debayered first, and converted to some sort of file with colour info included. FITS doesn't contain the colour info - nor layers or channels.
- Juha