Total Lunar Eclipse and Double Stars

Let's see your reports!
Shelby United States of America
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Total Lunar Eclipse and Double Stars

Post by Shelby »

Last night, I saw the Total Lunar Eclipse, and it was quite the show. This was not the first lunar eclipse I have seen. I have seen many other lunar eclipses in my life so I am experienced with them. This was however, the first one I saw with my SkyWatcher dobsonian telescope, so that is a first. It was also a super moon as well, so that is another interesting event going on.

I went down our road a little bit to see the moonrise first, because the moonrise is always nice to see anyways. Penumbral eclipse was starting at 8:34 PM, so I continued watching it for a bit, but I didn't really notice anything changing yet, so I went back to my house to look for a place to setup my telescope because my normal dark sky site was not good for seeing the Moon in the SE because of the high trees there.

Then I watched the ISS go over my location which is always fun to do. It was not the best passage ever, but it was a nice touch seeing that as well as the eclipse on the same night. After watching the ISS, I finally found a decent place to setup my telescope, so I then went to go get it and setup.

Weather conditions were not the best I could ask for. There were some thin clouds around throughout the event, but they never completely covered up the moon.

Finally, the partial phases were starting, and I was standing by my telescope, ready to enjoy it. My step-dad came out to join me for a little while, then went back in his house for a bit. My dad was watching the event from his house unaided, which is still good enough for this event, as it can be enjoyed without a telescope. I continued watching from my telescope, taking pictures every couple minutes to show progress to my sister and mom who were out of town at the time. The partial phases progressed over the next hour. At some point, my grandmother was watching from the porch of our house. She doesn't get around too well, so that was good enough for her.

Finally, the most important moment began, totality. My grandmother and my step-dad both came back out to look at it again during that stage, it was very nice and red with one side lighter than the other. I took a few more pictures of it and then went on to some other targets for a bit since totality doesn't really change much and I no longer needed to focus all of my attention on the Moon.

My first target was the double star, Graffias, in Scorpio. It was not to hard to split the pair of stars on this one, but I used the 10mm eyepiece to separate them better. It was a nice pair of stars to see.

My next target since I was in Scorpio already was Jabbah, another double star. It was also a nice pair to see, it was easily resolved into two stars with no problem.

Next, I wanted a brighter target, so I went to Spica in Virgo. There were a few hazy clouds in the sky at the time, so this gave the star a halo around it which looked really neat. That was a nice sight to see.

Next, I moved to Arcturus in Bootes. There were no clouds in that area and since the moon was very dim at that point, it appeared very bright with spikes around it. It was very bright and yellow in appearance like always. Always a nice sight to see.

Next, I moved to Izar in Bootes, this double was very hard to split even with the 10mm eyepiece i could barely separate the individual stars from each other. This was the challenge of the night for sure. The main component was yellow and the companion was really close, so I couldn't tell what its color was, but both were visible.

After that, the eclipse was nearing maximum, so I turned back to the Moon for a little while to take some more pictures and see the maximum myself as well. I went in the house to tell my grandmother and she went back out to the porch to see it during this time. I think she enjoyed the event as well. It was harder to see right at the moment because a hazy cloud was right on top of it, making it even dimmer than it already was, but I still managed to get some decent pictures of it. Then I moved back to the stars for a little while until the receding partial phases started.

My next target was Delta Bootis. Both stars in this pair were clearly yellow in color and both were easily separated from each other. This one was one of the more interesting stars I saw during this time.

My next target was Asellus Secundus in the top of Bootes. It was easy to find being in a triangle with the other two stars sharing the Asellus name. They were easily separated from each other with no problem at all. Another nice double star sighting.

Next, I moved to Asellus Tertius since it was nearby the last target. This double was harder to split apart, but not as hard as Izar. Both components were white in appearance and easy to spot. It was nice to see them.

My last target before the partial phases started again was Asellus Primus. This was not a double, but I figured it was fitting to look at this one since I looked at the other two already.

I did try to find a globular cluster that was near the Moon, but I could not locate it unfortunately. It was NGC 5897, but that was a fail, I think the sky might have been too hazy at the time.

The receding partial eclipse finally started, I was standing there watching it just like I watched the progressing partial eclipse earlier. I took a lot more pictures during this time period. I had to go in for a moment to grab a powerbank for my phone as my battery was at 20% now. That didn't help much though because I continued to lose battery power after that. I continued watching and taking pictures until the partial phases were over and the Moon was back in penumbral eclipse again. At that point, I decided to pack up for the night as it was now 1:00 AM and I was getting a little tired after that long period outside.

That concludes my report everyone, I really had fun out there last night. I hope others got a chance to see the eclipse as well. That was quite the treat. As always, I hope you enjoy reading my report as I have enjoyed writing it for you and I enjoyed all those sights out there last night.

I can post pictures as well if anyone would like to see. I will probably do that anyway later.
Last edited by Shelby on Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My scopes: Sky-Watcher 150p (6") Classic Dobsonian (main scope), iOptron SmartStar N114 with GPS (not really used anymore)

My eyepieces: 25mm Skywatcher Plossl, 10mm Skywatcher Plossl, 25mm unknown brand, 9mm iOptron Kellner.

Filters: AstroZap Baadar Solar Film Filter for my SkyWatcher 6 inch, 6" OD Seymour Solar film filter for the N114

Camera: My smartphone

Comets: 19
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Total Lunar Eclipse and Double Stars

Post by Shelby »

Here are photos. Didnt know how to add them to the original post.
Attachments
20220516_010430.jpg
20220516_005608.jpg
20220516_004756.jpg
20220516_004229.jpg
20220516_003626.jpg
20220516_002606.jpg
20220516_001813.jpg
20220516_001021.jpg
20220515_235949.jpg
20220515_234911.jpg
20220515_231422.jpg
20220515_223552.jpg
20220515_222458.jpg
20220515_221900.jpg
20220515_221443.jpg
20220515_220447.jpg
20220515_215543.jpg
20220515_214431.jpg
20220515_213718.jpg
20220515_211601.jpg
My scopes: Sky-Watcher 150p (6") Classic Dobsonian (main scope), iOptron SmartStar N114 with GPS (not really used anymore)

My eyepieces: 25mm Skywatcher Plossl, 10mm Skywatcher Plossl, 25mm unknown brand, 9mm iOptron Kellner.

Filters: AstroZap Baadar Solar Film Filter for my SkyWatcher 6 inch, 6" OD Seymour Solar film filter for the N114

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice action-packed evening Shelby! Glad you managed to saw the entirety of eclipse and shared it with your family.

I also like to watch the whole thing from beginning to finish, but this time here the Moon came out with eclipse already in progress. Still it was a great experience.

Beautiful captures, well done!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That was a wonderful read; thanks for sharing! Great shots also! :D Nice you took advantage of the totality duration to pick a few other targets as well :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Very nice report. I wonder if @helicon likes it too enough for a VROD...
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, great report...super nice pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report. I do believe it qualifies for a VROD since there is a mix of observations and some nice photos for documentation. Great job Shelby and thanks for the nomination Juha!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Shelby. A great fun read observing report from you using your Dob telescope. I know that this was a great experience for you and your family to view. Thanks for your well written report and the great images Shelby and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I loved the picks , I did not see it this time but great thanks
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm Great session, great report...super nice pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Dave
And congrats on a well deserved VROD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the VROD, well earned! Your nice shots call to be arranged in a composite image covering eclipse sequence.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shelby »

I actually have more pictures than that, I could only post 20 here. I have 234 in total. Not all of those are perfect pictures though.