Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Dr Strange and multiverses

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Dr Strange and multiverses

Post by ThinkerX »

I have been contemplating taking in that flick.

Well...I do find myself in agreement with the quote at the end:

'The multi-verse is a concept about which we know frighteningly little."

Maybe Fritz could get behind that statement on alternate Tuesdays and Saturdays...
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:34 pm I have been contemplating taking in that flick.

Well...I do find myself in agreement with the quote at the end:

'The multi-verse is a concept about which we know frighteningly little."

Maybe Fritz could get behind that statement on alternate Tuesdays and Saturdays...
I've as yet no need of multiverse hypotheses. (A nod to Laplace there.)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

oh well, the movie might make for an interesting diversion
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:40 pm oh well, the movie might make for an interesting diversion
yes, i'll probably see it soon with the kids.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

What if multiverse is real, and one of the universes has such laws of nature, that multiverse can't exist? :joking:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

Caught the movie yesterday.

What sort of stood out was the extreme difficulty in physically moving from one universe to another. I was more intrigued by the 'in-between' space.

A interesting break from mundane reality.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:41 pm Caught the movie yesterday.

What sort of stood out was the extreme difficulty in physically moving from one universe to another. I was more intrigued by the 'in-between' space.

A interesting break from mundane reality.
I expect to enjoy it with the kids soon.

"Extreme difficulty in physically moving from one universe to another" is to put it mildly. :) Since according to string theorists who propose such things the laws of physics would be different in each. That includes the values in different multiverses of the fine structure constant. Let's just for the moment consider only varying the fine structure constant from multiverse to multiverse. The inverse of the fine structure constant is about 137. That value fixes the maximum stable charge on an atomic nucleus.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Feynmanium

So in a universe where the inverse fine structure constant is 4. That would make beryllium the last element in the periodic table. No carbon. :)

I look forward to seeing what the "in between space" would look like, since it should be impossibly messy what with cosmic inflation going on and there being no fixed laws of physics. :)
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

So in a universe where the inverse fine structure constant is 4. That would make beryllium the last element in the periodic table. No carbon. :)

A universe where the periodic table stops at number four - that actually sounds interesting. Would star formation even be possible in such a universe? ::tries to envision lithium/beryllium planets::

(Literally a two second appearance with ten seconds of conversation afterward and no further effect on anything - one of the universes was made out of 'paint.')
I look forward to seeing what the "in between space" would look like, since it should be impossibly messy what with cosmic inflation going on and there being no fixed laws of physics. :)
'Impossibly messy' - yep. I can say they made use of a concept here with deep roots in science fiction going back to the days when we were young.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:04 pm

A universe where the periodic table stops at number four - that actually sounds interesting. Would star formation even be possible in such a universe? ::tries to envision lithium/beryllium planets::
Star formation would be possible once things cooled down enough. However only the proton-proton nucleosynthesis would be available the CNO cycle would be ruled out. So stellar evolution would be very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton–proton_chain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

Yes, it's highly improbable and all -

- but it is interesting to speculate about possible conditions in some of these other universes.