What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Over the weekend, Sophia and I were laying in our sun loungers in our back garden looking up at gorgeously clear skies.

However, this week the weather seems to have changed for the worse. Today we have cloudy skies and high winds. Rain is expected later this morning :(

I don't think we will be sky watching tonight, but the next few days look a bit more promising.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

On a brighter note, it is an exciting time of the year for New Forest life.

The ponies that are allowed to graze freely all around the Forest are mares. Each year around this time stallions are released into the Forest to mate with the mares.

This process is to ensure the true breed of the New Forest ponies is allowed to continue.

On 9 May twenty stallions were released in specific areas of the Forest. The names of the stallions for this year and the locations released can be found on this website - New Forest Pony Stallions. The stallions will be active until 11 July when they will all be taken away again.

The gestation period is around 11 months, so next Spring we will be seeing some lovely new additions to the pony stock in the Forest.

The welfare of ponies grazing on the Forest is monitored by five Agisters, employees of the Verderers of the New Forest, so they will all be checked out to make sure they are healthy and able to freely graze the Forest.

In the meantime, I have my first client due to arrive shortly for some lovely nail art to be done, so I will have to get ready to work :roll:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Spent some time this morning with the 80mm, but twilight came on so early my session was quite brief. I *really* have to reset my body clock to stay up later so I can get some observing in after dark.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I have been trying to outsmart seed eating squirrels, so far squirrels 30, me 0
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Yesterday I transplanted some lilacs, edged the sidewalk, fixed a couple of spots under the privacy fence, and mowed the lawn.

Today I felt it.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Prepping for Armageddon

Eleven days and counting! :Astronomer1:

After 3 years, it appears that my 3-day tracked astrophotography workshop might finally go ahead.

The workshop is pitched at enthusiast terrestrial photographers who want to try some astrophotography with a DSLR or Mirrorless camera and a small tracker. Our first attempt in February 2020 was foiled by massive fires that left eastern Australia shrouded in thick smoke, our second attempt in May 2020 was stomped on by COVID. Third attempt was June 2021, delayed due to rain, then the rescheduled workshop was cancelled due to many month long COVID travel restrictions that prevented the clients in Canberra, travelling out here.

Finally, here we are 2022.

After the past couple of years, the workshop is schedule to proceed on a long weekend, May 27-May30. That weekend has 30 hrs of dark sky. COVID precautions are in place. If we are delayed by weather, the following weekend, June 3-6 is a fallback. 24 hrs of dark sky and Moon 14%, 21% and 30%. Failing that, the new moon later in June is the final attempt at running this then I'll give up and cancel.
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.39.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.38.38 pm.png
Among the COVID precautions is a low limit on enrolments so that participants don't need to share bedrooms. The consequence is that there isn't sufficient budget to hire people to assist with catering so it's all on me, 3 nights, 4 days, of being instructor, demonstrator, field guide, chief cook kitchen hand and dish-pig. If I don't post again, you know I'll have expired from an exhaustion induced heart attack! :lol:

The workshop comes with a 45 page reference booklet. Thanks to the many delays, it has gone through multiple revisions.
This is the table of contents.
Table of contents.pdf
(66.53 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Wish me luck!

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Okay Joe, good luck :pray:

You definitely have your hands full for that one-man show.

I hope all goes well for you.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Good luck from here too, Joe!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I have been taking a break from imaging since the beginning of April. It is galaxy season and apart form my kit not being suited to small galaxies, I live in Bortle 8 and LRGB is not doable from here. Plus the nights are so short. Will get going again as soon as I can see some NB targets appearing over the roof tops at a reasonable hour.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

carastro wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:47 pm I have been taking a break from imaging since the beginning of April. It is galaxy season and apart form my kit not being suited to small galaxies, I live in Bortle 8 and LRGB is not doable from here. Plus the nights are so short. Will get going again as soon as I can see some NB targets appearing over the roof tops at a reasonable hour.

Carole
Somehow I can understand...
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Added a little to much beneficial bacteria and got a bloom. Also had a little cotton looking fungia problem that has gone away with a 8 gallon water change. The filter that I am using just cant get the job done at removing organic waste from the water. So I have upgraded to the Seachem Tidal 35. I added a cheapo filter for extra carbon filtration until the Tidal 35 arrives. As you can see in the third image the green carolline algae has covered the rocks. This will eventually turn purple which is what I wanted, but now I prefer the green. There are pinpoint purple spots all over the green carolline algae. Perhaps some of the rock will stay green.
Attachments
filter.PNG
tank 3.PNG
tank 7.PNG
tank 8.PNG
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

We finally got some spices growing, basil, rosemary, lavender, chives, oregano and coriander :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Refractordude wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:10 pm Added a little to much beneficial bacteria and got a bloom. Also had a little cotton looking fungia problem that has gone away with a 8 gallon water change. The filter that I am using just cant get the job done at removing organic waste from the water. So I have upgraded to the Seachem Tidal 35. I added a cheapo filter for extra carbon filtration until the Tidal 35 arrives. As you can see in the third image the green carolline algae has covered the rocks. This will eventually turn purple which is what I wanted, but now I prefer the green. There are pinpoint purple spots all over the green carolline algae. Perhaps some of the rock will stay green.
Looks nice, but what's going on in the last picture?
- Juha

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

turboscrew wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Refractordude wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:10 pm Added a little to much beneficial bacteria and got a bloom. Also had a little cotton looking fungia problem that has gone away with a 8 gallon water change. The filter that I am using just cant get the job done at removing organic waste from the water. So I have upgraded to the Seachem Tidal 35. I added a cheapo filter for extra carbon filtration until the Tidal 35 arrives. As you can see in the third image the green carolline algae has covered the rocks. This will eventually turn purple which is what I wanted, but now I prefer the green. There are pinpoint purple spots all over the green carolline algae. Perhaps some of the rock will stay green.
Looks nice, but what's going on in the last picture?
It is a bacteria bloom that is harmless to my two fish and feather duster. I have all my power heads pointed at the surface to maximize oxygen. The bloom will go away shortly.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Sophia and I went for a lovely walk in the Forest at Beaulieu this morning.

The weather was glorious - hot, dry and sunny.

I took a few photographs, and have put a couple of them in the 'Photography' thread (entry #666 :eek: )
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Lazy day, watching the hockey game on the tele, Canes vs Rangers.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Mowed the lawn this morning before it hit 90 and ahead of the line of storms looming on the radar.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Went hiking for the first time since the Alisal fire last year burned it down. On TV it was a veritable inferno but I was pleasantly surprised at how the creek area had withstood the fire. Higher up there was a lot of damage but that was mostly a shrubby area with great views and the growth started coming back. The views were still great, the hills were green, so it was fine considering what happened not too long ago. I used to hike this 4 hour hike with 2000+ ft elevation every weekend, glad to be back.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Had my pre-op exam for Cataract Surgery yesterday. Seems I am a good candidate.

Right now I am essentially blind in my right eye and it should be a vast improvement I am told.

Scheduled for surgery second week of June!

I look at it as an investment to improve my Amateur Astronomy and RC plane flying :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds good Tom. Good luck with the procedure. My mother had it done a few years ago and says it is wonderful to be able to see so well again.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N