Strange issue with my Lum flats

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Strange issue with my Lum flats

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Hey all, I have been having some issues with my luminance flats and I thought someone out there in TSS-land may be able to steer me in the right direction. This has occurred on two separate imaging runs, on different nights. I take flats and flatdarks for every session; I only use a dark library for my master darks. The problem is the inability of the flats to subtract out two specific dust halos (and yes, I guess if I clean the filters and sensor which I plan to do soon the problem might go away.) But that's besides the point.

Here is a zoomed-in portion of my master flat:
MasterDarkImage.jpg
And here is a comparison of the result of processing the Lum with and without the masterflat.
Comparison.jpg
As you can see, all the dust motes have been removed except for the larger one on the top of the zoomed-in image (there is another almost identical problem in the bottom of the image, but not shown here). The exact same defect occurs in an earlier image of the sombrero galaxy.

Any idea why this is happening?
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Strange issue with my Lum flats

Post by STEVE333 »

Strange! It seems to do an excellent job of removing all of the small dust motes (and you have several!). However, the one large "mote" that looks like an old fashioned telephone dial (located at about 1 o-clock) seems to be enhanced! You have me stumped with this one.

Is it possible that the large "mote" shows up on the master dark frame? Just making a wild guess here!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 am Strange! It seems to do an excellent job of removing all of the small dust motes (and you have several!). However, the one large "mote" that looks like an old fashioned telephone dial (located at about 1 o-clock) seems to be enhanced! You have me stumped with this one.

Is it possible that the large "mote" shows up on the master dark frame? Just making a wild guess here!

Steve
Well, as you know, the dark frames are with the aperture closed, so there is no way the dust motes can enter in. I did check though - nope, not the issue. I'm starting to think that maybe the focus was different when the flats were taken (not sure how that would happen as I take the flats after the lights run but who knows). If the focus was off, the mote circles would either be slightly larger or smaller and the large ones would experience a larger degree of change. And this might explain the alternating concentric rings - maybe :)
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Michael,

You know that is strange. My last image (Whale and Hockey Stick Galaxies, I had two very large dust motes on my lights. I saw them during imaging and really didn't give it a second thought knowing that calibration would take care of them.

Well, calibration didn't take care of them!

In fact, what is a bit stranger (to me anyway), The motes mirrored themselves on opposite corners of the image (meridian flip???) in the Masterlight.

Never have had that happen before and they were easy to CloneStamp out, but I kind of put it behind me until your post.

I had used a new light panel to create the flats the first pass through WBPP. I also used bias and darks. I re-ran WBPP with new flats and dark flats and darks which did not help. I tried my old ipad to create the flats and still had the motes show up (with mirrors). I always shoot 50% ADU flats, so I tried creating 15, 30, and 70% ADU flats without any success. This is when I went back to the original flats/bias/darkd and pulled out the CloneStamp'er.

Then I went to work on locating the dust motes. Ended up that they were on the camera sensor window. Problem solved, but not really sure. Just FYI, I was using PI WBPP for calibration/registration/integration v2.4.1.

Probably not at all related to your issue Michael, but just rang a bell.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/