Short Session with an old friend!

Let's see your reports!
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Short Session with an old friend!

Post by Unitron48 »

My wife and I headed out to Bluemont, Virginia wine country yesterday to celebrate our 45th anniversary. Anticipating at least one clear night I packed my Unitron Model 114 (60mm, f/15) refractor that I purchased in 1959. This is a photo of the scope taken the day it was delivered!
Unitron 114_First Light.jpg
As a matter of background, my interest in astronomy was kicked off by the launch of Sputnik in 1957. As part of my education I took several observational astronomy courses at the Buhl Planetarium (1961-62) in Pittsburgh, PA. My instructor for those courses was Dr James Mullaney, a noted double star astronomer. He was the catalyst for my interest in those gems of the night sky! He also provided several of us teens the opportunity to use the 13 inch Fitz-Clark refractor at Allegheny Observatory in Pittsburgh. What a thrill that was!!

My observing location from our cottage had a pretty clear view of the eastern horizon and was on a hilltop. Although several trees obstructed the view, I had clear access to my targets for the night.
Bluemont_01.jpg
Bluemont_02.jpg
The objects I selected for the evening were those that I viewed and shared over the past 65 years: the Moon, Mizar, Cor Caroli, Porrima, Algieba, and Castor. I used all Unitron EP's, but not the original .965" that came with the scope; I used 1.25" EP's that came with my 4 inch Unitron. I started out viewing the Moon at first 23x (40 mm Mono) and worked my way up to 150x (6mm Plossl). The contrast and sharpness even at 150x was a testament to the quality of the optics!!

I then turned to the planned doubles:
Mizar-Alcor: viewed at 23x and 36x (25mm Plossl)
Cor Caroli: viewed at 50x (18mm Ortho and 18mm Plossl) and 72x (12.5mm Plossl)
Porrima: viewed at 100x (9mm Plossl) and 150x
Algieba: viewed at 72x and 100x
Castor: viewed at 72x and 100x

A great session, bringing back some fine memories of bygone days. I did wake up early to check out the planets, but clouds had rolled in.

Dave
Last edited by Unitron48 on Thu May 05, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Short Session with an old friend!

Post by kt4hx »

First off Dave congratulations on 45 years. Mary and I will have our 47th in a little over a month. Sounds like a fine outing for the two of you and a very nice location. Hope you both had a wonderful time. :)

That is a fine scope and glad you have held on to it all this time. I am impressed that you had Dr. Mullaney as an instructor, that is fantastic and I can see how an interest in double stars would take shape. Your memories of the classes at the observatory are priceless memories that put you on a lifetime journey across the night sky.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:52 pm First off Dave congratulations on 45 years. Mary and I will have our 47th in a little over a month. Sounds like a fine outing for the two of you and a very nice location. Hope you both had a wonderful time. :)

That is a fine scope and glad you have held on to it all this time. I am impressed that you had Dr. Mullaney as an instructor, that is fantastic and I can see how an interest in double stars would take shape. Your memories of the classes at the observatory are priceless memories that put you on a lifetime journey across the night sky.
Thanks, Alan! Dr Mullaney and I have stayed in contact. As a matter of fact he was once the staff astronomer for Unitron USA! We had several conversations as I was working on the Unitron History project!!

For me, astronomy has become part of who I am...

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great occasion, beautiful location and fine scope! Thanks for sharing this special trip with us.

Congrats on the 45th anniversary! We had our 28th in October. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations!
Those are fine memories!
And very nice idea to revive such a session from the past. Especially with your own classic and famous Unitron telescope!
Great objects too! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I'm still pulling hairs out of my head that I ever sold my first 60 mm f/15 refractor ( not a Polarex, but according to the dealer with Polarex lens), ever.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

John Baars wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:55 pm Congratulations!
Those are fine memories!
And very nice idea to revive such a session from the past. Especially with your own classic and famous Unitron telescope!
Great objects too! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I'm still pulling hairs out of my head that I ever sold my first 60 mm f/15 refractor ( not a Polarex, but according to the dealer with Polarex lens), ever.
Thanks, John! I decided very early that I didn't want to regret getting rid of that scope. I'm still hoping it will stay in the family for a very long time!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Dave, that was a great read, and congrats on the 45 years! I hope you both enjoy the day and good for you both :D

Loved the pic of your scope; so nice you still have that. Splitting even Mizar-Alcor, that speaks for some quality optics!

Thanks for the heartwarming read; that needs a VROD for sure!

All the best to you both,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thanks, Mark! Leni and I had a great time! Great to get away from home and enjoy these special occasions. Even better when we can throw in some hobby time :)

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice session with a good life long friend Dave.
Hoping you can do it again soon. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:48 am A nice session with a good life long friend Dave.
Hoping you can do it again soon. :)
Thanks! Hoping to get the 5 inch Unitron out in the next month or so :sprefac:

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi Dave and a great and moving report from you. It's a wonderful thing to have so many memories of both sessions, important figures from our past, the opportunity to use your classic scope on the moon, and of course to celebrate an anniversary! Many thanks for the report and congratulations on winning the VROD for the day!

app.php/article/5-6-2022-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Dave. Wow, this was a great and interesting report to read. And we both started enjoying the astronomy hobby at about the same time in our younger days. Also, Sheri and I celebrate 52 years this coming October. I really enjoyed the beautiful photographs that you included in your post. Thanks for sharing this with us on here Dave, congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today, and still hope to meet you here in Florida sometime soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

helicon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 pm Hi Dave and a great and moving report from you. It's a wonderful thing to have so many memories of both sessions, important figures from our past, the opportunity to use your classic scope on the moon, and of course to celebrate an anniversary! Many thanks for the report and congratulations on winning the VROD for the day!

app.php/article/5-6-2022-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
Thanks, Michael! Always appreciated.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Makuser wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:01 pm Hello Dave. Wow, this was a great and interesting report to read. And we both started enjoying the astronomy hobby at about the same time in our younger days. Also, Sheri and I celebrate 52 years this coming October. I really enjoyed the beautiful photographs that you included in your post. Thanks for sharing this with us on here Dave, congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today, and still hope to meet you here in Florida sometime soon.
Thanks, Marshall! I suspect many of us "oldies" were driven to the night skies by the early space age. We need some motivator like that to perk the interest of the younger generation!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations Dave on receiving the TSS VROD award.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.