Some weird questions

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Some weird questions

Post by turboscrew »

Does anyone have good pointers in mind about the actual methods of digital imaging and enhancement?
I'd need to know at least about automatic gain control.
Gamma correction and non-uniformity correction would play an important role too.
Also contrast limited histogram equalization would be of interest.
I'm supposed to implement that in an embedded system.
Google haven't been my friend on this.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Some weird questions

Post by SkyHiker »

Is this for astronomy or other use? For AP you have to contend with read noise, exposure time and gain per filter. Read noise is negligible these days, and stacking can help increase the dynamic range by choosing relatively short exposures with high gain (but low enough to not saturate the stars).

For daytime photography most modern cameras can take 3 pictures sequentially quickly at various exposure times and/or ISO that can be combined into one to increase the dynamic range.

A lot depends on the sensor and the noise, which are camera and environment specific. I know, that's not of much use. So here are some links for further reading. Craig Stark is excellent for AP, check the various articles at http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/articles/articles.html . I like ClarkVision too, https://clarkvision.com/articles/digita ... index.html . Here's a tool that automatically selects the best ISO and exposure time for AP, https://sourceforge.net/projects/astrophotographylab/ . Here's an interesting link for upstream and downstream noise, also with ISO recommendations: http://dslr-astrophotography.com/iso-ds ... otography/ .

I may look into this myself as I am looking for a topic to present at the Kaibab Lodge star party in June.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It's for other use, but I guess most of the stuff applies. The sensor is a thermal image sensor, and it's like EAA - from image sensor to eye in real time. There's a special HW for speeding up the pixel manipulations.
There will be no OS, so ready-made libraries and applications are out - except sources for reading about the algorithms.

The system is supposed to take darks frames every now and then, and do a bad pixel replacement.

Maybe I can use that knowledge later in some hobby project for astronomy.
Last edited by turboscrew on Sat May 07, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The last link links to this paper where the math is summarized in easy reading: https://homes.psd.uchicago.edu/~ejmarti ... ead_vs_iso . That may be the easiest lead to something implementable.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:02 pm The last link links to this paper where the math is summarized in easy reading: https://homes.psd.uchicago.edu/~ejmarti ... ead_vs_iso . That may be the easiest lead to something implementable.
The PRNU in the paper is probably the same as NUC (that I need to implement).
The NUC and AGC are, probably, the toughest parts for me,
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Just for clarification, the sensor here is really just the sensor, not a camera.
- Juha