A Todmorden Pier

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
Jockinireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

A Todmorden Pier

Post by Jockinireland »

This past year has been very fryustrating for me in terms of AP. The extremely poor skies everyone has suffered has been compounded for me by very poor reliability of forcasts. I set up and tear down every night unless the forcast is good for a few days (very rare) This means that unless I have a forcast of a good period of hours I find it very difficult to find the will to lug everything out and set up.

So I decided that some form of semi-permanent set up was in order. For many reasons a proper observatory is not an option right now. Looking around I saw many examples of the "Todmorden Pier" - inexpensive and allegedly easy to build. So that was what I decided on. It took me just a couple of days start to finish.

Materials (if anyone has a real interest I can share the materials list and my build plan]
materials.jpg
Former cut and drilled with anchor bolts fitted to test.
former.jpg
Anchor bolts removed and former used as template to drill cavity block
drill.jpg
Hole dug
hole.jpg
Former with bolts in place and concrete poured
poured.jpg
Blocks painted and attached to anchor bolts
blocks on.jpg
Ready to go
readytogo.jpg
My intention is to initially use it with a Telegigzmos 365 cover and dehumidifier bags.

I hope its going to increase my imaging time.

Thake care

David
Last edited by Jockinireland on Sat May 07, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. Canon EOS 1100D ( Ha modded), Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Re: A Todmorden Pier

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice, these were actually quite popular a few years ago for a semi-permanent setup.
I hope you get a lot of use from it. :)
Refractors: Antares 105mm f/15 (modified), Celestron 150mm f/8 (modified), Homemade 70mm f/10 (LZOS K8/F8 doublet), Stellarvue NHNG Deluxe 80mm f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
EQ Mounts: Celestron CG-5, Celestron ASGT (modified), TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP/ Berlebach Planet
Az/ Alt Mounts: Celestron SLT (modified), Manfrotto 055B/ RC28, Manfrotto 028B/ Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Diagonal: 2” Astro-Physics MaxBright, 2” Stellarvue Deluxe, 2” TAL dielectric, 2” TeleVue Everbrite, 1.25" Vixen flip mirror, 2” Baader DX-2 Amici prism, 2” Long Perng Amici prism, 2” Baader Herschel wedge
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss, definitely more than 1 person requires

Return to “The DIY corner”