A Todmorden Pier

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

A Todmorden Pier

Post by Jockinireland »

This past year has been very fryustrating for me in terms of AP. The extremely poor skies everyone has suffered has been compounded for me by very poor reliability of forcasts. I set up and tear down every night unless the forcast is good for a few days (very rare) This means that unless I have a forcast of a good period of hours I find it very difficult to find the will to lug everything out and set up.

So I decided that some form of semi-permanent set up was in order. For many reasons a proper observatory is not an option right now. Looking around I saw many examples of the "Todmorden Pier" - inexpensive and allegedly easy to build. So that was what I decided on. It took me just a couple of days start to finish.

Materials (if anyone has a real interest I can share the materials list and my build plan]
materials.jpg
Former cut and drilled with anchor bolts fitted to test.
former.jpg
Anchor bolts removed and former used as template to drill cavity block
drill.jpg
Hole dug
hole.jpg
Former with bolts in place and concrete poured
poured.jpg
Blocks painted and attached to anchor bolts
blocks on.jpg
Ready to go
readytogo.jpg
My intention is to initially use it with a Telegigzmos 365 cover and dehumidifier bags.

I hope its going to increase my imaging time.

Thake care

David
Last edited by Jockinireland on Sat May 07, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: A Todmorden Pier

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice, these were actually quite popular a few years ago for a semi-permanent setup.
I hope you get a lot of use from it. :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Jockinireland wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:16 pm Looking around I saw many examples of the "Todmorden Pier" - inexpensive and allegedly easy to build. So that was what I decided on. It took me just a couple of days start to finish.
Just wondering if you have had a chance to try out the pier and what you think of it so far.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Chich wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:33 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:16 pm Looking around I saw many examples of the "Todmorden Pier" - inexpensive and allegedly easy to build. So that was what I decided on. It took me just a couple of days start to finish.
Just wondering if you have had a chance to try out the pier and what you think of it so far.
Hi there, thanks for the interest.

So it's now in the ground 4 months and we have had an unusually hot and dry summer followed by a few weeks of heavy rain. The pier remains rock solid. I did PA once with sharpcap and have not redone it since. I've checked it a few times but not needed to adjust. PA Drift reported in PHD2 varies a little night to night but that's more to do with seeing I think.

I've left the scope and camera out most of the time under the telegizmo 365 except on the few days when temp went to high 20s C and I have seen no issues. The temp and humidity sensor tell me that the conditions under the cover are generally fine.

It now takes me 5 minutes to go from sitting on my sofa to collecting first image which has meant at least 3 sessions I'd not have attempted before.

So, I am absolutely delighted with it. I'm not seeing it move at all and I would recommend it 100% without hesitation.

HTH

David
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

David, that is really awesome!

I am going to introduce your photo's to my wife and see how she reacts to them. The backyard is her haven. She has plants and flowers everywhere. I understand that and that is why I haven't considered an observatory.
This type of semi-permanent pier would really help me also. I sometimes won't set up even if it looks good and the forecast is poor. So far this summer, I would not have been disappointed. My weather has been horrible since May. In fact, it is pouring outside right now.

My only concern is that the temperatures here get in the mid to high 30's in the summer (95-100F) and the humidity is also high. You stated that you brought your scope in during temps in the high 20's. Have you seen any data on equipment storage temperatures?

Your construction looks great as does the finished pier.

Thanks a lot for the post. Awesome stuff!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi Jim, @Juno16 yes I completely understand why your wife may be less than keen, it was something on our minds too. But I can honestly say that since I put it in I have come to feel that when it is covered it is much less obtrusive than I had expected it to be. It looks no worse or out of place than a covered peice of garden furniture or a covered BBQ. Heres a couple of pics to show how it looks. autumn is fast approaching in the West of Ireland so the reeds in the pond are turning fast and the grass needs a good trim - so it usually looks tidier than this. :lol:
close.jpg
far.jpg
On temperature and humidity, i did a lot ofsearching and asking people and found that there are many people who leave their scopes out in all weathers under the 365 cover, including some guys in texas and Arizona who have no fear of the summer temps there. Of course there are others who will say that its not a good idea but they were invariably talking from opinion rather from knowledge. I put more value on the real world experience of folks who regularly leave their kit out in 40C without issue or worries.

The reason I brought mine in when it hit high 20's c was, as you know I have ASI2600mc and have not yet had any "oil on sensor" issue and did not want to tempt fate by exposing it to such high temps. With my new mono QHY 163m I have no such worries and will leave it out irrespectve of temperatures. But we are unlikely to see 30c again here any time soon!

Trapped humidity during the long periods it will be left out covered was more of a concern for me. So I hang a dehumidifier (link below) off the scope under the cover and close the bottom of the 365 Cover tightly with ratchet straps. I have a temp and humidity sensor which records contantly and which I can accessfrom my mobile. It has shown that when the scope is covered and with the dehumidifier bag it will pull the humidity down from over 90% to well below 70%, quickly and easily, then maintain a constant humidity of 55-68% which is good enough for me.

So, from my perspective this has been one of the best things I've done in terms of making my AP life more effective and enjoyable.

I do hope this helps.

take care

David.

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:20 pm Hi Jim, @Juno16 yes I completely understand why your wife may be less than keen, it was something on our minds too. But I can honestly say that since I put it in I have come to feel that when it is covered it is much less obtrusive than I had expected it to be. It looks no worse or out of place than a covered peice of garden furniture or a covered BBQ. Heres a couple of pics to show how it looks. autumn is fast approaching in the West of Ireland so the reeds in the pond are turning fast and the grass needs a good trim - so it usually looks tidier than this. :lol:
close.jpg
far.jpg

On temperature and humidity, i did a lot ofsearching and asking people and found that there are many people who leave their scopes out in all weathers under the 365 cover, including some guys in texas and Arizona who have no fear of the summer temps there. Of course there are others who will say that its not a good idea but they were invariably talking from opinion rather from knowledge. I put more value on the real world experience of folks who regularly leave their kit out in 40C without issue or worries.

The reason I brought mine in when it hit high 20's c was, as you know I have ASI2600mc and have not yet had any "oil on sensor" issue and did not want to tempt fate by exposing it to such high temps. With my new mono QHY 163m I have no such worries and will leave it out irrespectve of temperatures. But we are unlikely to see 30c again here any time soon!

Trapped humidity during the long periods it will be left out covered was more of a concern for me. So I hang a dehumidifier (link below) off the scope under the cover and close the bottom of the 365 Cover tightly with ratchet straps. I have a temp and humidity sensor which records contantly and which I can accessfrom my mobile. It has shown that when the scope is covered and with the dehumidifier bag it will pull the humidity down from over 90% to well below 70%, quickly and easily, then maintain a constant humidity of 55-68% which is good enough for me.

So, from my perspective this has been one of the best things I've done in terms of making my AP life more effective and enjoyable.

I do hope this helps.

take care

David.

Thank you very much David for all of the photos and information!

I am working with my "planner" on the look of the permanent setup. Not sure at this point.

I might come back at some time with some questions if you don't mind.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:20 pm Hi Jim, @Juno16 yes I completely understand why your wife may be less than keen, it was something on our minds too. But I can honestly say that since I put it in I have come to feel that when it is covered it is much less obtrusive than I had expected it to be. It looks no worse or out of place than a covered peice of garden furniture or a covered BBQ. Heres a couple of pics to show how it looks. autumn is fast approaching in the West of Ireland so the reeds in the pond are turning fast and the grass needs a good trim - so it usually looks tidier than this. :lol:
close.jpg
far.jpg

I do hope this helps.

take care

David.

Thank you very much David for all of the photos and information!

I am working with my "planner" on the look of the permanent setup. Not sure at this point.

I might come back at some time with some questions if you don't mind.
Of course Jim, any time.

Take care

David

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:40 pm David, that is really awesome!

I am going to introduce your photo's to my wife and see how she reacts to them. The backyard is her haven. She has plants and flowers everywhere. I understand that and that is why I haven't considered an observatory.
This type of semi-permanent pier would really help me also. I sometimes won't set up even if it looks good and the forecast is poor. So far this summer, I would not have been disappointed. My weather has been horrible since May. In fact, it is pouring outside right now.

My only concern is that the temperatures here get in the mid to high 30's in the summer (95-100F) and the humidity is also high. You stated that you brought your scope in during temps in the high 20's. Have you seen any data on equipment storage temperatures?

Your construction looks great as does the finished pier.

Thanks a lot for the post. Awesome stuff!
For a minimally invasive way to retain your PA, here's a proven method by a G11 board member. You might set up once a month just for the new moon week and leave a telegizmo on for that time.

It makes me think, for a tripod on solid ground you only need to corner one leg, move the second one up to some barrier, the third one can then remain free. I need to try this. Right now, I'm aligning the outside of the tripod feet with some markers. It is not 100% accurate but by just doing that, my initial PA always only about 2' to 5' off. Maybe, with that confinement, I can get it 1' accurate and forego PA corrections altogether.

Nice project David, it looks great. It doesn't look like a temporary quick fix to me! I don't know if it would be much harder to put rebar in the base and, after it hardens, pour concrete into a cardboard tube on it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi Henk,

Thanks for your input. I previously has sunk small concrete pads which were marked so I could place my scope in the correct position each time. This required only a slight PA adjustment each time.

But honestly, PA was only a minor part of the grief of setting up each night -- taking all the gear out (mount and OTA separately as it too heavy all together), connecting all cables, (even if I left them on the OTA), Balancing etc etc just made the the whole process to much to be bothered with unless I was sure of a long clear night (Which are very rare here) And the thought of taking it all in again next morning before work added to the inertia.

So with the pier I find that I'm willing to get up and running - it takes 5 minutes - even when the forecast says I'm only going to get a couple of hours. In the morning I throw the 365 over it and its good.

As to rebar then pouring concrete into a tube, I think mixing that much 'crete and pouring it to that height would be beyond me physically. Also if I ever need to move my pier I undo the nuts, take the bolts down level with an angle grinder, throw a square of turf over and its gone. Not so with a 3ft high 18" diameter rebarred concrete pillar. So yes, it would probably give a pier more worthy of the name but was just not suitable or appropriate for my personal situation. And my little Todmorden is rock solid and doing its job fine so I'm happy enough.

Take care

David.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Jockinireland wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:03 pm Also if I ever need to move my pier I undo the nuts, take the bolts down level with an angle grinder, throw a square of turf over and its gone.
Ah OK I missed that part. I suspected that the bolts could be undone I just didn't see it in your pictures. Now it makes even more sense!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images