Binoculars the best way to start?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Binoculars the best way to start?

Post by GCoyote »

Last week it used a set 7x50, 10x50, and 20x50 on two successive nights. The 10x50s gave me the best balance between magnification, brightness, and weight.

I'm making a DIY support for the 20x50s out of an adjustable lamp base. Since the mounting point on US binoculars takes an ordinary 1/4"x20 thread screw, you don't need a high end tripod, just something to bear the weight for you.

Regarding the 7x50s, in my light polluted skies, I find it helpful to scan my intended targets with the binoculars to get a feel for the actual versus the forecast seeing conditions. If I don't like what I see, I'm not as likely to waste time trying find the target with a telescope.

My two cents, and kudos for asking a common question in a concise and thoughtful manner.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Binoculars the best way to start?

Post by Baurice »

GCoyote wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:02 pm Last week it used a set 7x50, 10x50, and 20x50 on two successive nights. The 10x50s gave me the best balance between magnification, brightness, and weight.

I'm making a DIY support for the 20x50s out of an adjustable lamp base. Since the mounting point on US binoculars takes an ordinary 1/4"x20 thread screw, you don't need a high end tripod, just something to bear the weight for you.

Regarding the 7x50s, in my light polluted skies, I find it helpful to scan my intended targets with the binoculars to get a feel for the actual versus the forecast seeing conditions. If I don't like what I see, I'm not as likely to waste time trying find the target with a telescope.

My two cents, and kudos for asking a common question in a concise and thoughtful manner.
I have some similar ideas. If I can bag M65 and M66 in Leo with my 15x70 bins, I know I'm in for a good night. If I cannot see many stars in Melotte 20, that's it for deep sky.