New 1.25" Eyepiece Turret from nPAE Precision Astro Engineering

This is our area for Vendors. If you are a vendor and wish to promote your products please feel free to do so.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post any new products, discounts, or special announcements!
Also you may post in the open forums to answer specific questions about your products. The only thing we ask is to not downgrade another vendors products.
nPAE Great Britain
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

New 1.25" Eyepiece Turret from nPAE Precision Astro Engineering

Post by nPAE »

The much awaited 6 position 1.25” Ruby Turret is launching on the 22nd April! We are having a 6 day launch countdown on social media to celebrate.

Each day for the next 6 days we’ll post about one of the features of the Ruby Turret. Please comment on our posts and the best rated comment from all the posts will win an nPAE gift pack on launch day!

https://www.npae.net/product/1-25-telescope-turret/

Clear skies!

nPAE Precision Astro Engineering
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New 1.25" Eyepiece Turret from nPAE Precision Astro Engineering

Post by DeanD »

It looks very impressive and beautifully made, and I like the idea of built-in par focal rings, although I am not sure how that works from the info given.

I don't want to be negative, but why only a 1/4 wave mirror? If I was to purchase a turret like this for my better than 1/8 wave refractor, I would want a better diagonal so that the optics aren't compromised. I note that your Theia90 diagonal is rated 1/10 wave...

Second question (sorry!): is it compatible with your filter changing kit (assuming you enough back focus): or is that for imaging only?

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
nPAE Great Britain
Vendor
Vendor

Post by nPAE »

Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting! In answer to your questions:

It's a 1/4 wave because that's better that most optical trains that it will be used with. It also provides product segmentation against the replacement for 6061 Turret which, like the Theia90, has 1/10 wave optics. So you would choose those for higher performing scopes.

The Ruby Turret is 1.25" so not compatible with our filter changer as that is 2".

The parfocal rings work by adjusting the amount of backfocus for each eyepiece.

Cheers :D
Clear skies!

nPAE Precision Astro Engineering
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Looks fantastic but at that price I cant afford it , will just have to change eyepieces instead of rotating it
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

nPAE wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:58 pm Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting! In answer to your questions:

It's a 1/4 wave because that's better that most optical trains that it will be used with. It also provides product segmentation against the replacement for 6061 Turret which, like the Theia90, has 1/10 wave optics. So you would choose those for higher performing scopes.

The Ruby Turret is 1.25" so not compatible with our filter changer as that is 2".

The parfocal rings work by adjusting the amount of backfocus for each eyepiece.

Cheers :D
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I get it though. I would have thought that "product segmentation" was provided by the fact that it only takes 1 1/4" eyepieces and doesn't have a filter-change option: two changes from the 6061 (and I expect its replacement) that I assume would bring the price down a bit for people who want a smaller turret and don't want those options. Likewise, I would have thought that a 1/10 wave mirror at that size wouldn't have represented a huge price increase over the 1/4 wave that is provided.

I just see it as a great pity that it introduces a limiting optical performance for better quality OTA's, and to my way of thinking this detracts from what would otherwise be an excellent and very tempting product.

Sincerely,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE