Observing Report for 23 April 2022 - back in the saddle again

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 23 April 2022 - back in the saddle again

Post by kt4hx »

After having experienced some health issues over the past several weeks, I finally felt like I had the energy and motivation to try some galaxy hunting at the dark sky house. So the wife and I made the journey over to spend a couple of nights (Saturday and Sunday), with the hopes that the average transparency forecast would hold before rain moved in the following week.

Given that I was still feeling a bit fatigued I decided to limit myself to about 2 to 2.5 hours of time in the field so as not to over tax myself. At first things were a little awkward as I got my observing mindset up and running. But it didn’t take too long to get things moving along nicely and I had two nice evenings out. This report covers the first night, with the second evening covered in its own report. My main targets were some nooks and crannies of the Coma-Virgo Galaxy Cluster since it is center stage presently. While I did revisit a few old acquaintances, as always my main focus was to dig around for some new galaxies amongst those that I’d observed previously. Plus I had the pleasure of observing my first supernova of 2022. So I hope you will come along as I harvest some new stuff from the massive Coma-Virgo Galaxy Cluster.

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Messier 60 / NGC 4649 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.8, size=7.6’x6.2’, SBr=12.7)
My first real target of the evening, a supernova in NGC 4647, took me to the field around Messier 60. It had been quite I while since I had observed this bright elliptical, so I aimed the scope at mag 2.8 Vindemiatrix (Epsilon Virginis) to begin my slow movements westward to 34 Vir (mag 6.1). Just WSW of this star in the 8x50 RACI optical finder I picked up the tiny diffuse glow of M60. Moving to the eyepiece its glorious presence was brightly evident. At 94x it somewhat large thick oval disk was quite bright. It’s very diffuse outer halo hosted a broadly brighter central region. This galaxy is truly a fine object.

NGC 4647 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.3, size=2.9’x2.3’, SBr=13.1):
In the same field only about 2.5’ to the northwest at 94x I easily spotted this nearly face-on barred spiral. Small and somewhat bright, its oval disk was very diffuse and ghostly. Its glow slightly overlapped with that of M60, giving a bit of a dual-lobed appearance. It hosted my real target and reason for locating its field.

SN 2022hrs (Virgo, supernova in NGC 4647, listed mag=12.6):
Upon locating the M60/NGC 4647 field, I immediately saw this SN using 94x. The current listing had it magnitude 12.6. Visual comparison to an 11.8 mag star in the field of view with the galaxies, I estimated that the listing was fairly accurate. It was definitely easy to discern against the backdrop of the soft glow of NGC 4647 immediately northwest of M60. It had been a bit since I’d observed any supernovae and this was a thrilling way to kick off my evening. Observing a single star at such a distance (about 65 MLY in this case) is great fun! (New)

Messier 59 / NGC 4621 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=9.6, size=5.4’x3.7’, SBr=12.6):
Since another bright elliptical was also nearby, I gave it a quick cursory view. Like M60, it had been a bit since I last observed this one. I already had the 13mm (152x) in the focuser so that was what I used to located M59. It was slightly large and very bright. Oval in shape it displayed a crisp stellar core at its center.

NGC 4638 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.2, size=2.2’x1.4’, SBr=12.2):
I noticed in the log that I had no entry for this galaxy just southeast of M59. It was easily picked up using 152x and presented a small and fairly bright oval glow. Like M59 it presented a very apparent stellar core at its center. (New)

IC 3653 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.0):
Southwest of M59 I pulled down this little elliptical. Using 152x it was suspected as a very small diffuse puff of light. It was confirmed using 199x as a fairly faint and small round homogeneous glow. (New)

IC 3652 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Just south of the last object I also located this elliptical. It was very similar to IC 3653 in appearance, being suspected at 152x and confirmed at 199x. Though visually it was subtly larger it was likewise a dim and round ghostly glow. (New)

Messier 58 / NGC 4579 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=9.7, size=6.0’x4.8’, SBr=13.1):
I next swept up another of the Messier galaxies in the cluster. M58 was located easily with 94x, presenting a slightly large and very bright out of round glow. It contained a very obvious stellar core winking in its center.

NGC 4567 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=11.3, size=3.1’x2.2’, SBr=13.1):
NGC 4568 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=10.8, size=4.6’x2.2’, SBr=13.1):

This interacting pair is known famously as the Siamese Twins or the Butterfly Galaxies, and is found southwest of M58. Picked up easily at 94x they presented a bright pair that overlap. Both were slightly large and bright. NGC 4568, the southern of the two was slightly brighter and larger to the eye, and particularly when viewed with 152x presented a very noticeable mottled structure within its interior. NGC 4567 also displayed some unevenness in light distribution but noticeably less so than its colleague. Both exhibited broadly brighter central regions, with that of NGC 4568 being more elongated in appearance. These are a very fine duo, particularly when viewed darker areas, where they gain contrast with the sky.

NGC 4564 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.1, size=3.5’x1.5’, SBr=12.6):
Just north of the Siamese Twins I stopped by another previously viewed object. Using 94x it presented a slightly small bright oval disk. It revealed a stellar core that was more pronounced at 152x.

Messier 89 / NGC 4552 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=9.8, size=3.5’x3.5’, SBr=12.3):
Just under 1° northwest of M58 I locked on another one of Messier’s galaxies. With 94x it was a very bright and subtly large round glow. It contained a broadly brighter core region that was punctuated by a stellar core. This is quite a fine galaxy.

Messier 90 / NGC 4569 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=9.5, size=9.5’x4.4’, SBr=13.3):
Just NNE of M89 I easily picked up this barred spiral. It and M89 fit into the same field of view at 94x. It presented a large oval that was very bright to the eye. It sported a very obvious stellar core blazing away at its center – another beautiful object.

NGC 4551 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.8’x1.4’, SBr=12.7):
South of M89 is the relatively close pair of this elliptical and NGC 4550. Lying about 18’ apart this is the northern of the duo. At 94x it presented an oval that was small and slightly bright to my eye. Its major axis was oriented east-west and at 152x it was very obvious within the field, and now revealing a stellar core. (New)

NGC 4550 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.3’x0.9’, SBr=12.6):
Just south of the previous object and easily within the same field of view, this galaxy’s major axis was oriented perpendicular to that of its neighbor, or north-south. Viewed at 94x it was a little larger than NGC 4551, but more elongated and thinner in appearance. Initially its disk was homogeneous, but at 152x a stellar core was easily picked up. (New)

NGC 4531 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.4, size=3.1’x2.0’, SBr=13.1):
Moving back to M90 and shifting attention to its west I pulled down this small but somewhat bright oval glow using 94x. Then at 152x it visually appeared thinner in stature as a little more of its major axis became apparent. It remained evenly illuminated throughout. (New)

NGC 4506 (Coma Berenices, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
Northwest of the previous object and just over the border into Coma Berenices I picked up my next object. Found with 94x it presented a small and just slightly dim homogenous oval glow. Using 152x it remained a smooth oval disk just east of a mag 10.9 field star. (New)

IC 794 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.1):
I next swept southward passing over bright M87 (large and bright oval as it passed through the view. I settled on a field southwest of the giant elliptical between two 8th mag field stars. Almost equidistant between them I studied the view using 152x. I was picking up a suspicion of its presence (with more difficulty than I expected). Going ahead to 199x it was easily confirmed as a small and homogeneous dim oval dust bunny. (New)

NGC 4440 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=1.8’x1.6’, SBr=12.6):
North-northwest of the previous object just northeast of a 9th mag field star I easily spotted this previously observed barred spiral using 152x. It presented a small and somewhat bright thick oval glow that was evenly illuminated.

NGC 4436 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.5’x0.8’, SBr=12.9):
In the same field of view and just over 3’ to the northwest of the previous galaxy, I also picked up this previously observed object. At both 152x and 199x it was a small and dim oval that was homogeneous in appearance.

NGC 4431 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.7’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
The reason for returning to this field was this lenticular which I somehow missed when I observed its two neighbors. Anyway, in the same field of view as the previous two and not quite 4’ southwest of NGC 4436, at 152x it was a small and dim oval glow. Easier at 199x it remained evenly illuminated across its disk, just like its two neighbors. (New)

NGC 4452 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.3):
I next moved south of IC 794 in order to nudge my way through the field nearly 1° south of M87. I located this lenticular using 94x, with it appearing as a slightly bright thin elongated sliver of homogeneous light. Also viewed with 152x and 199x it remained a smooth little streak of light that was easily discernible. (New)

IC 3381 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=13.2):
About 8’ northwest of the last object is a mag 7.9 field star. Studying the field immediately south of this star with 94x I came up with bupkis. Then at 152x I was picking up a small and very dim out of round dust bunny. Going ahead to 199x it was a little easier, though it remained a bit ghostly in appearance. I also was now detecting a very intermittent stellar core popping in and out. (New)

IC 3413 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):
Nearly half a degree southeast of the 7.9 mag star mentioned with the previous object I located a mag 8.5 star. Studying the field immediately to its southwest with 94x revealed a very weak and very small homogeneous oval puff of light. Going ahead to 152x it remained fairly dim, though more apparent to the eye. (New)

NGC 4491 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.6’x0.8’, SBr=12.6):
Nudging eastward I pinned down my next target. It presented as a small and slightly dim oval glow at 94x. An intermittent stellar core was also detected. Viewing with 152x confirmed this stellar core and in general the galaxy was much more apparent. (New)

NGC 4497 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.9’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
Just northeast of the last galaxy I easily spotted this one with 94x. It was small in visual extent and just slightly dim to the eye. Using 152x it was very easy and remained a smooth homogeneous disk. (New)

NGC 4503 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.1, size=3.5’x1.7’, SBr=12.8):
Since it was near to another galaxy I was going to target, I momentarily took a look at this previously observed one. This object was easily seen at 94x as a bright and slightly small oval glow that exhibited a bright non-stellar core.

IC 3470 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=11.9):
Just northeast of NGC 4503 I was getting hints of its presence in the field of view at 94x, but needed to go up to 152x to confirm its presence. It presented a very small and dim round mote of diffuse light. Then at 199x it was more easily discerned as a homogenous round dust bunny. (New)

NGC 4528 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=12.3):
Slipping further east, and just a little west of the Siamese Twin galaxies observed earlier in the session, I easily located this barred lenticular. At 94x it was a small and slightly bright smooth oval disk. Using 152x a stellar core was now discerned pinned to its center. (New)

IC 3481 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
MCG+2-32-128 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.7’x0.4’, SBr=11.9):

To the WNW of the previous object, these two galaxies are two-thirds of the interacting group known as Arp 175, as well as Zwicky’s Triplet. The most apparent was IC 3481 which was easily picked up at 152x as a small and dim thick oval glow. Its disk presented a smooth texture, evenly illuminated. Less than 2’ southeast of the main galaxy I had a suspicion of a very small and dim second oval shaped glow. This was more pronounced at 199x and particularly at 283x. There were clearly two distinct homogenous diffuse glows in close attendance to one another. I tried for the third member of this group, IC 3483 about 3’ further to the southeast, but, was unable to discern this mag 14.5 peculiar barred spiral with any degree of certainty. (New - 2)

To finish out my evening I now swept to the northwest to easily encounter Markarian’s Chain of galaxies, dominated by Messier’s 84 and 86. Having observed this grouping countless times over the decades I did not spend more than a few seconds looking at them since my time was running short as the clock was past 2330 hours and I planned to hang it up at midnight. About 44’ west of M84 is a nice duo of galaxies and I slipped to them quickly.

NGC 4305 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.4):
NGC 4306 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):

This pair of galaxies west of M84 was easily picked up at 94x, and had similar appearances visually. NGC 4305 is the southern of the two and appeared as a small and slightly dim homogeneous oval. Slightly the smaller of the pair, it was slightly brighter to my eye due to its higher surface brightness at 152x. It exhibited a broadly brighter central region as well. NGC 4306, the northern one, appeared subtly larger in angular extent and just slightly dimmer due to its lower surface brightness at 152x. It too displayed a broadly brighter core area. It’s always nice to pick up two or more galaxies within the same field of view, and this was a nice little pair. (New – 2)

NGC 4216 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=10.0, size=8.1’x1.8’, SBr=12.6):
I moved quickly further east ignoring previously observed NGC 4267 to stop briefly on this galaxy, also observed at an earlier date. Known informally as the “silver streak” it was quite bright at 94x. Large and thin and oriented ENE to SSW, it displayed a compact and bright non-stellar core. An imposed field star was noticed just east of the core area. This one is a fine example of an edge-on spiral.

NGC 4206 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=6.4’x1.1’, SBr=14.1):
Nearly 12’ southwest of NGC 4216 I easily located another example of a fine edge-on galaxy. Spotted with 94x it presented a slightly large and very dim (low surface brightness) thin finger of light. Even at 152x and 199x it still cut a ghostly figure against the dark sky. It was more apparent, but remained a diffuse low surface brightness sliver. (New)

NGC 4193 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
Nudging northwest I encountered this small and subtly dim homogeneous oval at 94x. It remained smoothly illuminated at 152x as well, and easily discerned in the field. (New)

NGC 4189 (Coma Berenices, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=2.5’x1.7’, SBr=13.0):
Just 15’ north of the previous object and just over the line into Coma this small and subtly bright oval was easily spotted using 94x. It presented as a soft homogeneous glow. It was quite apparent at 152x and remained a smooth disk. (New)

NGC 4168 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.2, size=2.8’x2.2’, SBr=12.9):
Back into Virgo and nudging west from NGC 4193, I easily studied the field for a trio of galaxies. The brightest of the lot was this elliptical. With 94x it was a small but somewhat bright homogeneous oval glow. At 152x it was very apparent and clearly dominated the field. (New)

NGC 4165 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
Almost 3’ northwest of NGC 4168 and within the field of view was this small weak oval dust bunny. Seen at 94x it was better presented at 152x, where it became very apparent as a soft diffuse out of round glow. (New)

NGC 4164 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=12.4):
My final object tonight was this challenging elliptical. Not seen at 94x in the field about 3’ west of NGC 4168, it was at best suspected at 152x. Going to 199x I was able to confirm its presence in the field with the other two galaxies as a very dim and very small out of round diffuse breath on a mirror. (New)

Having started around 2130 hours, I decided to make midnight my stopping point. So after about 2.5 hours I admit I was ready and willing to call it a night. My observing eye was growing fatigued from chasing the little fuzzies and that final object pretty much told me I’d had enough. So it was a successful and rewarding evening for me. It had been a couple of months since my last outing and I found this evening tiring, yet food for the soul. Thanks for coming along with me, and hope to see you out there tomorrow night as I resume my foray into the many corners of the Coma-Virgo Galaxy Cluster.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 23 April 2022 - back in the saddle again

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good to see you posting again and a wonderful report Alan!
I hope you are fully recovered soon as well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Nice to have you back again Alan.

A great report for your first time out after your health issues.

Take it easy though. Don't overdo it.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Wow! By all accounts you are well and certainly "back in the saddle"! Glad to have you back. We missed your informative reports.

Congrats on your first SN of the year.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Good to see you back at the eyepiece again!
Thanks for your report , descriptions and observing- info. As always and as of old!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Congrats on the sn! Man, I wish I could sometimes look into a scope that is 10 inc bigger than my own.😏

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:54 am Good to see you posting again and a wonderful report Alan!
I hope you are fully recovered soon as well.

Thank you Gabrielle. It was nice to be out under the stars again. While I felt more exhausted for the effort than I might have ordinarily, the mental and visual rewards of doing so far offset any fatigue. :)

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 am Nice to have you back again Alan.

A great report for your first time out after your health issues.

Take it easy though. Don't overdo it.

Thank you Vanessa. It was indeed wonderful to be out and about again. :)

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:02 am Wow! By all accounts you are well and certainly "back in the saddle"! Glad to have you back. We missed your informative reports.

Congrats on your first SN of the year.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Being back out again after the hiatus and dealing with some medical issues was certainly a nice change of pace. At least I didn't fall out of the saddle! :lol:

John Baars wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:42 am Good to see you back at the eyepiece again!
Thanks for your report , descriptions and observing- info. As always and as of old!

Thanks John. Nice to be back whenever the opportunity and health permits. At least the verbosity in my reporting remains intact! :lol:

milanpicard wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:07 pm Congrats on the sn! Man, I wish I could sometimes look into a scope that is 10 inc bigger than my own.😏

Thank you Milan. As you found that SN was an easy one, which is always nice to see. I understand the desire to look through a bigger scope. It is indeed a game changer in terms of reach and resolution, especially when it comes to galaxies. But the great equalizer still remains darker skies of course. My 12 inch used at that site can keep pace with the 17.5 inch here at home where it is much brighter. Then again, that is why I have the larger one over there, so I can gain the advantage of both darker skies and increased aperture. Hope to see some more reporting from you in the near future when you have the time. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

For those interested in SN 2022hrs in NGC 4647 in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster, here is the discovery image from 16 April with a comparative image of the field from the SDSS database. Right now it is in the mid 12th mag range and will likely continue to brighten. Good luck!
2022hrs.jpg
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. It's great to see you back with us again. And you made up for a lot of lost time with this latest report. This is a great observing report with the 17.5" Dob and you grabbed a lot of faint fuzzies and also the SN 2022hrs in this 2.5 hour session. Thanks for your excellent and well documented report Alan and the best of wishes on resolving any health issues.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad you are feeling better Alan and back in your element! And right in time for the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. This is like a holly grail of galaxy hunting. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Hi Alan!
Thanks for the nice report! I had suspected that you had something occupying your attention. Sorry to hear it was medical issues, but glad you are on the mend. I think it was wise for you to limit yourself to just 39 objects on your first observing session and not overdo things at the start! :)

I enjoyed the journey with you, as always!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:12 pm Hi Alan. It's great to see you back with us again. And you made up for a lot of lost time with this latest report. This is a great observing report with the 17.5" Dob and you grabbed a lot of faint fuzzies and also the SN 2022hrs in this 2.5 hour session. Thanks for your excellent and well documented report Alan and the best of wishes on resolving any health issues.

Thank you Marshall. I had a great time after a period of being out of action. Its always a pleasure to return to something you enjoy so much. :)

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:21 pm Glad you are feeling better Alan and back in your element! And right in time for the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. This is like a holly grail of galaxy hunting. :)

Thanks Andrey. Agreed, the timing was impeccably great given the current placement of the cluster. It is truly a place where its easier to do galaxy hopping rather than star hopping to navigate, and one can't help but stumble upon some fuzzy blobs. :)

MistrBadgr wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:58 pm Hi Alan!
Thanks for the nice report! I had suspected that you had something occupying your attention. Sorry to hear it was medical issues, but glad you are on the mend. I think it was wise for you to limit yourself to just 39 objects on your first observing session and not overdo things at the start! :)

I enjoyed the journey with you, as always!
Thanks Bill. I agree, taking it slow and limiting the effort when bouncing back is a wise choice! :lol: Thanks for reading along.
Alan

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice! Telling by the list, you are obviously better, and if you felt tired, I'm not sure it was the health issues alone... :lol:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and glad that you are back and are making short work of those galaxies up there, certainly deserving of a VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:24 am Nice! Telling by the list, you are obviously better, and if you felt tired, I'm not sure it was the health issues alone... :lol:

Thank you Juha. Yes I am better and find I just need to do things at a slower pace because of the fatigue. I am not ready to call it quits just yet! :)

helicon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:14 pm Great report Alan and glad that you are back and are making short work of those galaxies up there, certainly deserving of a VROD for the day!

Thank you Michael. As long as I can move and I can see, I will be chasing those galaxies! :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats on the VROD recognition, Alan! Certainly well deserved!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

That's quite a full , productive session, Alan! Great report and notes. Hope you're feeling much better. :)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Alan, good to see you back; hope all is well. Quite the haul again, and nice you got in the supernova! I'm always amazed at all the targets you get in one observing session; you should give seminars on that!

"Back in the saddle again"... I read that, and instantly thought of Steven Tyler belting out the lyrics... :lol:

Take care of yourself buddy and look forward to reading more from you in the near future.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:42 pm Congrats on the VROD recognition, Alan! Certainly well deserved!

Dave

Thank you Dave, much appreciated. :)

davesellars wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:13 pm That's quite a full , productive session, Alan! Great report and notes. Hope you're feeling much better. :)

Thanks Dave. Glad you enjoyed coming along with me on my journey. I am feeling better. :)

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:16 am Alan, good to see you back; hope all is well. Quite the haul again, and nice you got in the supernova! I'm always amazed at all the targets you get in one observing session; you should give seminars on that!

"Back in the saddle again"... I read that, and instantly thought of Steven Tyler belting out the lyrics... :lol:

Take care of yourself buddy and look forward to reading more from you in the near future.

All the best,

Thank you Mark. Glad you enjoyed riding along with me on my outing. I like to focus my attention on limited areas of sky, such as 1 to 3 constellations, or in this case the Virgo cluster. That way it is possible to be more productive during a session. I know that is not how everyone operates, but it is what I've found works for me and my way of observing.

Funny how the mind works, with "Back in the Saddle Again", I think of Gene Autry! :lol:

Appreciate your well wishes Mark. Take care up there as well and hope you all have a great year. :)
Alan