Issue with BCO 6mm

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Issue with BCO 6mm

Post by West83 »

Hi gang,

So I took the opportunity last night with semi clear skie for some lunar observations. I actually used my 6mm BCO for the first time in a while and noticed a number of spots, which severely affected my views.

I thought it was a matter of cleaning the lens, but later at home I couldn't clean the eyepiece and it has these spots. I use Baader wonder fluid and cloth. I think i got a few of the spots cleaned but I most remains there.

Can anyone provide any info is this beyond repair?

The images here were taken at home against a light. I hope someone can recognise what its's about.
Attachments
20220418_000607.jpg
20220418_000629.jpg
20220418_000632.jpg
Telescope Celestron Astromaster 130 - 130mm f/5 Reflector | Celestron FS80 - 80mm f/11.3 Refractor | TS Photoline 102mm f/7
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Barlow Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x / 1.3x
Eyepieces Baader Classic Orthos 6mm, 10mm, 18mm | Baader Classic Plössl 32mm | Maxvision 24 mm 68°| BST 5mm
Filters Baader Neodymium (Moon & Skyglow) | Astronomik UHC
--------------------------------
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Issue with BCO 6mm

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Well that is amazing! I cannot say I have ever seen that in a eyepiece before.
You have cleaned both the eye lens and field lens of the eyepiece?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

If it's not cleanable, I've (rarely, thankfully) seen a case or two when coatings went defective at localized points.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I assume you see the spots when you hold the BCO against the light. When you observe the Moon or terrestrial targets during the day with telescope do you see the sharp spots in the field of view?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:48 pm If it's not cleanable, I've (rarely, thankfully) seen a case or two when coatings went defective at localized points.
That was my first though as well, but seemed a bit excessive for that in a new eyepiece.
Hopefully it is not.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:58 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:48 pm If it's not cleanable, I've (rarely, thankfully) seen a case or two when coatings went defective at localized points.
That was my first though as well, but seemed a bit excessive for that in a new eyepiece.
Hopefully it is not.
Something got by the quality check? If not in focus it might not matter. In this case it does.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

PS If cleaning eye and field lenses without taking the EP apart doesn't fix, I'd return for a replacement.
West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

Thank you all for the replies.

So a bit of clarification, I have received the set (q turret with 4 eps) as a gift some 5 years ago. I have seldom used the 6mm, mainly due to eye relief and me chasing for DSOs.

I have to be honest, at the beginning I haven't really taken good care of the eyepieces (and cleaning wasn't really done the way it should have been). Interestingly enough, the most used EPs are in good condition and the views are really good.

I have noticed these spots when viewing the moon last night and it's kind of painful since the barlowed view with my frac was really sharp and awesome (if the spots werent there).

I tried cleaning and really was careful not to apply too much pressure, so just curious how much pressure can the coatings take. Any other advice on what I can do will be appreciated.

I am inclined to re-purchase the 6mm ep (as the BCOs are really good, especially compared to BST 5mm and the wide field 24mm, which is good but not as sharp) if I can't get it cleaned properly. I guess it's the tax on learning :)
Telescope Celestron Astromaster 130 - 130mm f/5 Reflector | Celestron FS80 - 80mm f/11.3 Refractor | TS Photoline 102mm f/7
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Eyepieces Baader Classic Orthos 6mm, 10mm, 18mm | Baader Classic Plössl 32mm | Maxvision 24 mm 68°| BST 5mm
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Thanks for sharing your story in more detail. The coatings can definitely be damaged by cleaning. I almost never clean mine because I want the coatings to last as long as possible. Learning tax is a good way to think of it. It’s a good ep and I hope the replacement serves you well.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Hi. First can you make a positive determination that the spots are on the external surface of the eye lens or the field lens? I would want to do this first, using a strong magnifier, before cleaning as want to clean where the dirt is. If the spots are easily seen as distinct dark shapes when lunar viewing then more likely they are on the field lens since that is closer to the field stop. If they are more nebulous when observing and cause the view to blur then the eye lens might be the better culprit.

In any event, before doing any "aggressive" cleaning, very important to ensure all other dirt and dust is off the lens as you do not want those particles scratching the coatings with an aggressive clean. I presume you are using a Q-Tip to clean the surface, which is fine. When a spot is stubborn to get off using a cleaning fluid or alcohol, it might mean that the spot is biological (airborne tree sap, pollen, etc.) and needs enzymes instead to loosen or dissolve it. So you can try using some of your own saliva for that. Just wet the Q-Tip, then place it on the lens holding it in place for 15 seconds or so. Reason for that is to let the enzymes do their work first. Actually, this is a good practice for stubborn spots when using a solvent also like alcohol. So after some set time then swipe it to see if the spot was removed. If not, just repeat a second time. When you let the solvent or enzymes sit on the lens surface for a bit of time, they will generally loosen the or dissolve the spot so no aggressive pressure is needed. If you do want to try some aggressive pressure, just do it with a single swipe. Multiple swipes may cause the removed spot to then be moved across the lens and whatever hard material that spot/dust is made of could scratch the optic. That is why it is recommended to only do one swipe then get a fresh Q-Tip or cloth.

If that works and you used saliva, then follow up the cleaning with alcohol or distilled water to get any remaining compounds from the saliva off.

Good luck!
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

WilliamPaolini wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm Hi. First can you make a positive determination that the spots are on the external surface of the eye lens or the field lens? I would want to do this first, using a strong magnifier, before cleaning as want to clean where the dirt is. If the spots are easily seen as distinct dark shapes when lunar viewing then more likely they are on the field lens since that is closer to the field stop. If they are more nebulous when observing and cause the view to blur then the eye lens might be the better culprit.

In any event, before doing any "aggressive" cleaning, very important to ensure all other dirt and dust is off the lens as you do not want those particles scratching the coatings with an aggressive clean. I presume you are using a Q-Tip to clean the surface, which is fine. When a spot is stubborn to get off using a cleaning fluid or alcohol, it might mean that the spot is biological (airborne tree sap, pollen, etc.) and needs enzymes instead to loosen or dissolve it. So you can try using some of your own saliva for that. Just wet the Q-Tip, then place it on the lens holding it in place for 15 seconds or so. Reason for that is to let the enzymes do their work first. Actually, this is a good practice for stubborn spots when using a solvent also like alcohol. So after some set time then swipe it to see if the spot was removed. If not, just repeat a second time. When you let the solvent or enzymes sit on the lens surface for a bit of time, they will generally loosen the or dissolve the spot so no aggressive pressure is needed. If you do want to try some aggressive pressure, just do it with a single swipe. Multiple swipes may cause the removed spot to then be moved across the lens and whatever hard material that spot/dust is made of could scratch the optic. That is why it is recommended to only do one swipe then get a fresh Q-Tip or cloth.

If that works and you used saliva, then follow up the cleaning with alcohol or distilled water to get any remaining compounds from the saliva off.

Good luck!
Excellent methods.
West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm Hi. First can you make a positive determination that the spots are on the external surface of the eye lens or the field lens? I would want to do this first, using a strong magnifier, before cleaning as want to clean where the dirt is. If the spots are easily seen as distinct dark shapes when lunar viewing then more likely they are on the field lens since that is closer to the field stop. If they are more nebulous when observing and cause the view to blur then the eye lens might be the better culprit.

Good luck!
Wow, this really helped a lot! Thank you very much for the advice.
Actually, I am always using a microfibre cloth with Baader wonder fluid for cleaning EPs. The 6mm is a pain to clean honestly, especially the the field lense (I am guessing that's the bottom one :) )

So this method kind of got most of these spots out of the way, so I will just repeat the process. The first time, I had a feeling that after having the bulk of them removed, repeating the process got my lens dirty again, and I couldn't get it cleaned properly. I will report back once I repeat the process.
Thanks again William!
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good luck, hopefully you will be able to get it back into operating condition again.