A dozen Satellites

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

A dozen Satellites

Post by Frankskywatcher »

I really got a jolt tonight !
While aimlessly wandering around the heavens I sometimes fancy “ following “ a satellite if it’s not going super fast.
So tonight I start doing exactly that but while I’m tracking the one satellite low and behold a second one is behind it about half way in my FOV so I stop moving the scope and yet a third one appears and this goes on to the count of 12 for a total!
Now almost every time I observe I may see a couple maybe even five in a night total but not like that in succession like that !
My question is how many others on the Forum have seen something like that it was quite the parade ! :Astronomer1:
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A dozen Satellites

Post by Bigzmey »

Could be Starlink satellites. I have not seeing one yet, but they tend to run in columns.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:25 am Could be Starlink satellites. I have not seeing one yet, but they tend to run in columns.
That’s what I was thinking in fact last night with the naked eye I saw two and the local weather guy said that you would be able to see the star link satellite’s !
Seeing that tonight though was a real feast for the eyes my friend ! :Astronomer1:
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Wait until you are deep in concentration and a airliner flies through you FOV...
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

How were you tracking the first satellite? Did it remain "stationary" when you stopped the mount tracking?
It sounds like you found the band of geostationary satellites. I stumble across it from time to time, and just like you say, it's strange to see another, and another, and so on.

OTOH, if you had the mount zipping around to keep the satellite in the FOV then yes, I'd guess first that it's a Starlink.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:14 am Wait until you are deep in concentration and a airliner flies through you FOV...
OMG the first time that happened it freaked me out I was ready for a close encounter of the third kind my instant reaction was “ UFO” then logic took over and my brain said “ airplane “ !😁
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

SparWeb wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:24 am How were you tracking the first satellite? Did it remain "stationary" when you stopped the mount tracking?
It sounds like you found the band of geostationary satellites. I stumble across it from time to time, and just like you say, it's strange to see another, and another, and so on.

OTOH, if you had the mount zipping around to keep the satellite in the FOV then yes, I'd guess first that it's a Starlink.
Thanks for responding !
The first one came by and it was moving slow enough,I don’t have anything like a motorized tracking gear or anything like that.
I have a 10 inch dub and with just one hand on the tube I was just slowly moving it along with the satellite,tracking it as it was moving but like I said no sooner did I see the first one I saw a second one right behind it almost catching up to the first one with both in my field of view than the second one .
So then I just said to myself after the second one went by” don’t move the scope Frank” and I didn’t .
Then they just came in succession ,equally spaced between them one after another a dozen satellites first time I had seen something like that !
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Frank. It was probably a train of Starlink satellites. While fun and interesting to see visually it can cause havoc to amateur and professional imagers. You can read more about this here, at:
https://www.space.com/astronomers-night ... tellations
Also you can watch the ISS flyby which is always fun. Just go here to sign up for the Nasa "spot the station" alerts. You just select your city (or the closest one to your location) and request either AM or PM or both to receive advance emails on the occurrence time in the sky at your location at:
https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
I hope this adds more fun for your sky viewing adventures Frank and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I don't recall details, but the one and only Starlink train that I saw was at least a dozen in a row. Just one after another after another. My initial reaction was, "What the blart is that???"
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:14 am Wait until you are deep in concentration and a airliner flies through you FOV...
I have had that happen....what a jolt!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:14 pm I don't recall details, but the one and only Starlink train that I saw was at least a dozen in a row. Just one after another after another. My initial reaction was, "What the blart is that???"
Thank you for responding,that’s definitely what I saw and that was exactly my reaction !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars