Camera SW?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Camera SW?

Post by turboscrew »

Which camera SW (at least capturing SW) would you recommend?
Rather free, at least at this point.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Camera SW?

Post by turboscrew »

Any comments on these?
APT (Astro Photography Tool)
N.I.N.A (Nighttime Imaging 'N Astronomy)
FireCapture
SharpCap
Nebulosity
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

KStars/Ekos. Everything combined in one package (planetarium, autofocus, plate solving, polar alignment, autoguiding, scheduling, goto, multiple camera control, filter wheel, ... ). Best installation is with Astroberry that has some other utilities too. The Pi can be mounted on the scope right by the devices, which makes setting up so much easier. The nice thing about having everything in one is that you don't have the hassle of figuring out how packages of various versions work together. Open source and free. A Pi4b with 8 GB works great, no worries about a hefty laptop outside just log in remotely.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm KStars/Ekos. Everything combined in one package (planetarium, autofocus, plate solving, polar alignment, autoguiding, scheduling, goto, multiple camera control, filter wheel, ... ). Best installation is with Astroberry that has some other utilities too. The Pi can be mounted on the scope right by the devices, which makes setting up so much easier. The nice thing about having everything in one is that you don't have the hassle of figuring out how packages of various versions work together. Open source and free. A Pi4b with 8 GB works great, no worries about a hefty laptop outside just log in remotely.
My astro-laptop is Windows machine (that semi-rugged), but have to keep in mind. Installing Linux as dual-boot might be useful.
All-inclusive option (before image processing, like stacking) would be nice.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:55 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm KStars/Ekos. Everything combined in one package (planetarium, autofocus, plate solving, polar alignment, autoguiding, scheduling, goto, multiple camera control, filter wheel, ... ). Best installation is with Astroberry that has some other utilities too. The Pi can be mounted on the scope right by the devices, which makes setting up so much easier. The nice thing about having everything in one is that you don't have the hassle of figuring out how packages of various versions work together. Open source and free. A Pi4b with 8 GB works great, no worries about a hefty laptop outside just log in remotely.
My astro-laptop is Windows machine (that semi-rugged), but have to keep in mind. Installing Linux as dual-boot might be useful.
All-inclusive option (before image processing, like stacking) would be nice.
If you install Samba you can simply mount the Pi4b disk on a Windows machine for image processing. People who first used a laptop then switched to Astroberry, AsiAir, or a NUC all swear by their decision to ditch the laptop. You will see. Here are some pictures to my rig, it makes setting up a fun thing to do, https://groups.io/g/Losmandy-Hackers/to ... 5513885710 .

I have Nebulosity, I bought it mostly to support Craig Stark for providing PHD. I never got used to the somewhat convoluted stacking interface and while it's probably plenty capable and free now, I do not recommend it. DSS is easy and user friendly, I definitely recommend that. They are working on a Linux port I believe but don't hold your breath. It has a good support group on IO. If I had to acquire the data on Windows I would probably use Nina, Sharpcap, Stellarium, PHD2. Greg/Astrobee has a really nice setup with that if you can track down his online astro sharing sessions.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I've been using Samba about 10 years for sharing disks and printer between my machines. I actually bought a new printer, because in my old printer only USB worked. The point was to use network printing and get rid of Samba. The new versions tend to change things - especially the security. I don't want to use passwords in my closed intranet.
=> I'm tired of wrestling with Samba (rewriting the smb.conf-files) every second time a new version comes out.
I don't know if the file sharing still works. I haven't needed that in the last few years.

And I only have one RPi - 2B.
I rather use my semi-rugged laptop, that doesn't need any boxes or such to cover it from frost or moisture.
(BTW, RPi:s are quite hard to get at the moment - the component shortage, I guess.)

Also, I have special arrangements, because otherwise the WiFi doesn't reach my upstairs desk top too well.
Tried with 4 different WiFi-routers (Buffalo was supposed to be a strong one). Now I have ethernet router/firewall and a specially placed WiFi hot spot connected to the router with a ethernet cable.

Does DSS handle the image aquisition? I was thinking of trying Nebulosity, but maybe something else then.

The image aquisition would be the first thing that I'd like to get some working SW for. The capture programs that came with the cameras (ASIStudio, Omegon AstroPhotoCapture), don't scale on the display properly. Some fields are always outside of the screen, and both programs refuse changing their window size. They probably use the same "cool" library, that doesn't work that well.
- Juha

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I’ve used APT and NINA.
Both are great, but I really, really like NINA. I prefer the NINA interface more, it has a fine PA plugin, has excellent support, and is free.
Just my personal preference.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm I've been using Samba about 10 years for sharing disks and printer between my machines. I actually bought a new printer, because in my old printer only USB worked. The point was to use network printing and get rid of Samba. The new versions tend to change things - especially the security. I don't want to use passwords in my closed intranet.
=> I'm tired of wrestling with Samba (rewriting the smb.conf-files) every second time a new version comes out.
I can't recall what I needed to do to get Samba working so must have been pretty minor. I find Linux updates something I like to avoid. Astroberry takes the pain out of installing.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm And I only have one RPi - 2B.
(BTW, RPi:s are quite hard to get at the moment - the component shortage, I guess.)
I have two of those. They will work fine when using a DSLR but you need a faster processor and USB3 for images (autoguiding too). A Pi4B won't break the bank. I noticed that the price has gone up.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm I rather use my semi-rugged laptop, that doesn't need any boxes or such to cover it from frost or moisture.
Is that even an issue? The Pi4B produces heat so condensation should not happen. It has a fan too.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm Also, I have special arrangements, because otherwise the WiFi doesn't reach my upstairs desk top too well.
Tried with 4 different WiFi-routers (Buffalo was supposed to be a strong one). Now I have ethernet router/firewall and a specially placed WiFi hot spot connected to the router with a ethernet cable.
That could be an issue. I got a significant improvement after upgrading my router. My Pi4B is about 5 m away from it.
There are accelerators (whatchamacall them), you can also use an ethernet cable - I use one in the field.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm Does DSS handle the image aquisition? I was thinking of trying Nebulosity, but maybe something else then.
No. But Ekos will handle your camera fine. The images can be scaled to any size you want.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:00 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm I've been using Samba about 10 years for sharing disks and printer between my machines. I actually bought a new printer, because in my old printer only USB worked. The point was to use network printing and get rid of Samba. The new versions tend to change things - especially the security. I don't want to use passwords in my closed intranet.
I can't recall what I needed to do to get Samba working so must have been pretty minor. I find Linux updates something I like to avoid. Astroberry takes the pain out of installing.
I've written probably 5 smb.conf file for 8 different computers.
The problem is usually:
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes
Whether they work or not (not, anymore). The way to get that working changes all the time, and you need to read and try.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm And I only have one RPi - 2B.
I have two of those. They will work fine when using a DSLR but you need a faster processor and USB3 for images (autoguiding too). A Pi4B won't break the bank. I noticed that the price has gone up.
Around here nobody seems to sell them. There's a lot of talks about that in a Finnish RPi FB group.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm I rather use my semi-rugged laptop, that doesn't need any boxes or such to cover it from frost or moisture.
Is that even an issue? The Pi4B produces heat so condensation should not happen. It has a fan too.
For some people the problem with using laptop outside is freeze and moisture.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm Also, I have special arrangements, because otherwise the WiFi doesn't reach my upstairs desk top too well.
That could be an issue. I got a significant improvement after upgrading my router. My Pi4B is about 5 m away from it.
There are accelerators (whatchamacall them), you can also use an ethernet cable - I use one in the field.
The distance from my WiFi hot spot to the mount is around 25 - 30 meters, and through two saw dust filled walls.
The router is about 4 meters further, and the cable should go across a room and a kitchen and out from a window.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm Does DSS handle the image aquisition? I was thinking of trying Nebulosity, but maybe something else then.
No. But Ekos will handle your camera fine. The images can be scaled to any size you want.
- Juha

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I use a combination.

N.I.N.A for extended exposure times / narrowband.

Sharpcap for either Live captures or video

and Firecapture for solar work.

I used Nebulosity for a long time but I switched over as the other tools gave me more options that I use.

I've never used APT but many people do.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

I use APT for main capture software and I really like it. I hear many good things about NINA but I'm reluctant to change as I am pretty comfortable with APT and the thought of wasting a clear night on trying to figure out new software is just not appealing. I use it for platesolving and combine it with stellarium for framing etc. It handles automated meridian flips well most of the time. I dont yet use the autofocus (maybe later this year) and there was a time that its lack of a good autofocus was a black mark when compared to NINA but that seems to be moot as its autofocus seems to be good now (our very own @STEVE333 was involved in developing that and may have some more to add.)

I use sharp-cap solely for polar align which is unbelievably easy and well accurate enough. Apt has just released a polar align tool and I looked at it but it just seemed to complicated compared to Sharp-cap I will not be trying it out.

HTH.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Deep sky - APT & N.I.N.A.

Planetary- Sharpcap & Firecapture

APT is the only pay to use software in my lineup. The reason is, is that it's very inexpensive.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Ekos might be good, if I install a Linux as dual boot, but I think, I'd rather go with Windows first.
I think I'll pass APT for now, if it'scommercial.
I checked N.i.N.A, and it needs a bunch of other programs to work (I guess).
What, then, are the major reasons of not using SharpCap or FireCapture for DSOs? Exposure limitations?
And is Nebulosity that bad?
- Juha

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

There’s nothing “wrong” with any of them. It’s just a matter of what works best for you.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Maybe I'll try Nebulosity, SharpCap and FireCapture, and see what they are like.
- Juha

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:17 pm Ekos might be good, if I install a Linux as dual boot, but I think, I'd rather go with Windows first.
What, then, are the major reasons of not using SharpCap or FireCapture for DSOs? Exposure limitations?
Just to point out that APT license cost €18.70 ($20) for the first year and €6 ($6.50) annual renewal - which is only required if you want the most recent updates.

Considering how much it does I dont think thats excessive.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Jockinireland wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:28 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:17 pm Ekos might be good, if I install a Linux as dual boot, but I think, I'd rather go with Windows first.
Just to point out that APT license cost €18.70 ($20) for the first year and €6 ($6.50) annual renewal - which is only required if you want the most recent updates.

Considering how much it does I dont think thats excessive.
Like I said: "I think I'll pass APT for now, if it'scommercial."
Note, that I have never taken an astro-photo yet.
At the moment, I'd rather spend that money on Murphy's dry stout. :wink:
- Juha

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:54 pm At the moment, I'd rather spend that money on Murphy's dry stout.
it's hard to argue with that kind of logic. I think I will go have an Alaskan Amber and think about it.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Your Pi2b is good enough for installing Astroberry (I installed it on my two Pi2bs) if you don't want to set up your windows box for dual boot. You can use it to test your cameras if nothing else and get an idea of its general capabilities. I have used the Pi2b with Astroberry numerous times with a DSLR. With your camera it will be slow, but you can bin it 4x4 to speed it up and at least see if things are working.