How do you balance AZ-3?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How do you balance AZ-3?

Post by turboscrew »

I think I need to balance my Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3, but how?
There is a tightening screw for AZ, but haven't found any for ALT.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How do you balance AZ-3?

Post by davesellars »

I guess the issue is when you have the scope tipped back it will not hold its position?

You could get some cheap scope rings and medium dovetail and use this so you can at least adjust the position so it will balance better. Or, cheaper still but not optimal is hang a counterweight off the front of the scope?
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Not familiar with your AZ 3 mount but most have adjustments by tightening a bolt , these are fairly cheap mounts so one does not get accurate adjustments
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Bolt marked by the green arrow in the pic controls friction on Alt axes. When you tighten it it will prevent the scope from moving under the gravity, but it will also make harder to move the scope in Alt axes by hand, you will need to dial in the right amount of friction to balance the two.

When you loosen dial marked by the red arrow you can slide the scope up and down to balance.

Both functions are somewhat limited because of the simplicity of the mount design but they work enough to make it usable.
az3.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Well, well, well. It looks like the tube has a short Vixen dovetail. With my bigger tube I got a Vixen dovetail - the tube was probably used with HEQ5. That Vixen dovetail looks very similar to the block of metal attached under the Omegon. The Omegon dovetail just has a screw hole in the middle for attaching to a camera tripod, and the AZ-3 has an "attachment plate" just like an overgrown camera release plate.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm Bolt marked by the green arrow in the pic controls friction on Alt axes. When you tighten it it will prevent the scope from moving under the gravity, but it will also make harder to move the scope in Alt axes by hand, you will need to dial in the right amount of friction to balance the two.

When you loosen dial marked by the red arrow you can slide the scope up and down to balance.

Both functions are somewhat limited because of the simplicity of the mount design but they work enough to make it usable.

Yep, I found the azimuth friction screw with a handle for easy rotation, but nothing similar for the altitude. Odd!
Also, the nut marked by green arrow is nylon nut. It won't like too many adjustments.
Hmm, I guess I need to loosen it enough to see how much the balance is off, then some adjustments before tightening the nut again?
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:33 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm Bolt marked by the green arrow in the pic controls friction on Alt axes. When you tighten it it will prevent the scope from moving under the gravity, but it will also make harder to move the scope in Alt axes by hand, you will need to dial in the right amount of friction to balance the two.

Yep, I found the azimuth friction screw with a handle for easy rotation, but nothing similar for the altitude. Odd!
Also, the nut marked by green arrow is nylon nut. It won't like too many adjustments.
Hmm, I guess I need to loosen it enough to see how much the balance is off, then some adjustments before tightening the nut again?
On my older version of AZ3 I had steel bolt with steel nut on Alt, if you have nylon nut you can find steel version of the right size in your hardware store. Yes, you can loosen it a bit, balance scope and tighten again.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:51 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:33 pm

On my older version of AZ3 I had steel bolt with steel nut on Alt, if you have nylon nut you can find steel version of the right size in your hardware store. Yes, you can loosen it a bit, balance scope and tighten again.
I meant that the nut has Nylon inside. It's supposed to lock the nut. But usually turning such nut back and forth several times "eats" the nylon, and it stops locking.
Nylon_nut.jpg
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Once you achieve the balance mark position of dovetail relative to the mounting base. Then, next time when you observe you don't need to mess with the Alt nut to rebalance. Balance with mid range EP in diagonal and focus to infinity.

Once the balance and friction set typically you don't need to make large agistments, so your nylon spacer should last for a while.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:10 pm Once you achieve the balance mark position of dovetail relative to the mounting base. Then, next time when you observe you don't need to mess with the Alt nut to rebalance. Balance with mid range EP in diagonal and focus to infinity.

Once the balance and friction set typically you don't need to make large agistments, so your nylon spacer should last for a while.
Yes, I don't have any intentions to detach the tube from the mount any time soon.
The whole set goes fine in one hand.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It looks like it can't be balanced without some counterweight. When the tube points to zenith, all the mass is on one side of the pivot point.
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:48 am It looks like it can't be balanced without some counterweight. When the tube points to zenith, all the mass is on one side of the pivot point.
True. The center of gravity is above the rotation axes and as result the balance will shift. Maybe balance it at 45 degree?

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:09 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:48 am It looks like it can't be balanced without some counterweight. When the tube points to zenith, all the mass is on one side of the pivot point.
True. The center of gravity is above the rotation axes and as result the balance will shift. Maybe balance it at 45 degree?
That might work, at least for now. Thanks.
At least might even out some of the imbalance difference.
- Juha