M41 blew my mind 😳

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: M41 blew my mind 😳

Post by Frankskywatcher »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm I’ve never been so interested in the weather reports as I am now lol !
Yeah... That can be a gateway to weather forecast obsession and situational depression. :think:
I just laughed out loud reading this because you are spot on with the “situational depression “😂
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

M35 was amazing in my 127mm Mak. Must be even better in a 10" Dob.

I would recommend M13 in Hercules. It is a globular cluster but still worth a look. M22 will be better later in the year.
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:49 pm Good news! There are lots of great open clusters for a 10 inch DOB. Try M35/NGC 2158 in Gemini.

Here is a nice list to choose from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_clusters. Enjoy!!

Dave
Pretty awesome, bookmarked this one! Thanx.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:51 pm
pakarinen wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm I’ve never been so interested in the weather reports as I am now lol !
Yeah... That can be a gateway to weather forecast obsession and situational depression. :think:
I just laughed out loud reading this because you are spot on with the “situational depression “😂
In addition to weather forecasts (I check two apps few times a day) I can also tell you any given day the times of sunset, sunrise, Moon set, rise and phase. :lol: I used to follow tides too, but now with astronomy in full swing I pretty much abandoned surf fishing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

I can’t stop laughing “ I pretty much abandoned surf fishing “ !😂
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Frank,

I have seen posts to this thread for a few days and I just want to say that I agree that M41 is really awesome!

I haven't bino'ed for awhile, but I would always use M41 this time of year to judge the seeing. When it really popped (and it does really pop), my seeing was really good and I could see lots of DEO's with the 10x50 Bushnells.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I just absolutely love this hobby my wife has to yell at me to come inside at night
I read that and am still laughing...!! Good for you on that Frank; I love your enthusiasm!
My wife used to say I should come in, now she just says good night :lol: Lots to see, methinks you'll have a good summer!

Well deserved VROD as well!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:19 pm
I just absolutely love this hobby my wife has to yell at me to come inside at night
I read that and am still laughing...!! Good for you on that Frank; I love your enthusiasm!
My wife used to say I should come in, now she just says good night :lol: Lots to see, methinks you'll have a good summer!

All the best,
First summer in the hobby is the best! Wait until you get into Sagittarius/Scorpio area - any place you put scope there you hit something. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Juno16 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:11 pm Hi Frank,

I have seen posts to this thread for a few days and I just want to say that I agree that M41 is really awesome!

I haven't bino'ed for awhile, but I would always use M41 this time of year to judge the seeing. When it really popped (and it does really pop), my seeing was really good and I could see lots of DEO's with the 10x50 Bushnells.
Juno 16 you nailed it “ when it really popped( and it does really pop) “and I have 7X10’s but that night it was so bright I kept trying to count all the stars but after the second time around I gave up but it blew my socks off!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Fat Kitty you made me laugh, my wife doesn’t even bother any more!
That night when I found the beehive,after putting some magnification on it and it being so bright I yelled out “ holy 💩”, and my wife came running outside and said “ what the matter “ and I replied “ nothing, nothing at all” she looked at me puzzled and went back inside!😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:00 am
Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:19 pm

All the best,
First summer in the hobby is the best! Wait until you get into Sagittarius/Scorpio area - any place you put scope there you hit something. :D
You are so right I can’t believe like “ over night” Orion is way over the horizon in the west now and when I look at Beatlejuese when it get close to the horizon it looks like it’s exploding the flame like look is fantastic !
I “found”a star cluster almost straight over head and to the left of the moon(that was also almost directly overhead) dammed it I know what it was p,what M# but it was amazing to galk at none the less !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

These last few posts really made me smile :smile:

It is so good that you have understanding wives. I imagine there could be quite a bit of eye-rolling from them at you guys at times :roll:

I am also lucky that my lovely partner Sophia also likes to skywatch with me, so it is a collaborative hobby for us.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Although M41 is a bit tougher from the UK, as it never rises that high, it is very underrated in my opinion. I see it in binoculars and it is a good target for a DSLR and zoom lens.

Ernest Peterson
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ernest Peterson »

Here is what I put in my journal about the open cluster M41 the Little Beehive back on Feb. 10, 2014, viewing it with my 10” DOB at 46x. ‘ I really like the Little Beehive. It has a couple of wide yellow stars that could pass for a pair of eyes, a trunk, outstretched arms, two spindly legs, and voila, you have a person.” At another time I suggested a lobster. I made a sketch at the telescope to back up the observation in my own mind, and I’m really glad I did. Astronomy is so much fun!😀